How will be breast mascetomy

renukagowda
renukagowda Member Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi guys
My mom is already done with 3 cycles of chemo,next year on jan 2nd she is undergoing right breast surgery
how painfull it,wat will be the duration of the surgery

Comments

• jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Hi renukagowda
    I had a

Hi renukagowda
    I had a bilateral mastectomy (which is both breasts removed) and also reconstruction with expanders put in and 12 lymphnodes removed all in the same surgery. So i can say mine was rough but it was also doable. Is your mom having any reconstruction surgery with the mastectomy and is she having any lymphnodes removed...
    Everyone on this board is different in procedures and recovery and treatments but im sure more ladies will chime in to help too, but the more you tell us the more we can try and give you the info you need.
  • renukagowda
    jo jo said:

Hi renukagowda
    I had a

Hi renukagowda
    I had a bilateral mastectomy (which is both breasts removed) and also reconstruction with expanders put in and 12 lymphnodes removed all in the same surgery. So i can say mine was rough but it was also doable. Is your mom having any reconstruction surgery with the mastectomy and is she having any lymphnodes removed...
    Everyone on this board is different in procedures and recovery and treatments but im sure more ladies will chime in to help too, but the more you tell us the more we can try and give you the info you need.

only right breast
    they are removing only right breast and they havnt adviced any reconstruction,and i think they are removing 3 lymph nodes
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Everyone is different some
    Everyone is different some have only one breast removed, some have both removed and some still have their breast. I had both removed so i really cant tell you on how long it takes and how painful it is but there are other ladies on here that have had similiar procedures that your mom is going to have and im sure they will chime in to help you.
    I know this is frustrating but hang in there you and your mom will get thru this!
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I had the same surgery as
    I had the same surgery as your Mom, It took 2&1/2 hours. It was not bad I stayed one night in the hospital and went home. I was up and around just a little slow moving.. The worst part is the drain. I had mine for 5 weeks. I hear most people have then a week to ten days. It didn't hurt at all when they took it out. What a relief that was. Your Mom will do fine. She will have Meds for pain if needed. I only needed them for a day or two. Take care and if I can help any more let me know OK. Kay
  • renukagowda

I had the same surgery as
    I had the same surgery as your Mom, It took 2&1/2 hours. It was not bad I stayed one night in the hospital and went home. I was up and around just a little slow moving.. The worst part is the drain. I had mine for 5 weeks. I hear most people have then a week to ten days. It didn't hurt at all when they took it out. What a relief that was. Your Mom will do fine. She will have Meds for pain if needed. I only needed them for a day or two. Take care and if I can help any more let me know OK. Kay

thank
    Thank u so much
    ur words really made me relieved
    i was very scared abt the surgery
    one thing i am happy that she is done with the 1st phase ie chemotherapy
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I had a right Modified
    I had a right Modified Radaial Mastectomy a bit over a year ago (I was 63 at the time). I was in the hospital one night. I did not have reconstruction at the time because all my Drs said that it was not the thing to do based on the type of cancer (Inflammatory Breast Cancer) and the treatments that would follow - primarily the radiation. I had 17 positive lymphnodes. I had 2 drains - one was taken out at 2 weeks and the other at 4 weeks. Pain was not a big issue at all for me and I was given 'good' pain meds. Son picked me up the morning after surgery and on the way home we stopped at the local Humane Society to see the dog my Husband had gotten the day before but she had to stay there til she was spayed. My surgeon had put a pressure wrap around me that strapped the surgery area and the other breast down so I 'looked' like a little girl. It was taken off the next week.

We are all so different as are our cancers, the spread of it and our Doctors.

Susan

I had also had Chemo before surgery to shrink it. I had more chemo after surgery and then radiation. I will be on Femara for 5 years.
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Try not to worry.
    It's great that you obviously love your mother so much but she probably doesn't want to worry you. My daughter was there for me last year when I had my right breast removed and I was more concerned for her than I was for myself. The only pain I felt was from my IV (because it wasn't in a good place) and from the drains. My scar was and is still numb from the mastectomy and the lymph node removal so I didn't even feel the staples being removed. What I remember the most was being able to feel the cold on that side of my chest. I guess our breast really insulate us from the cold. When I sat watching TV, I usually placed a pillow where my breast used to be so I wouldn't feel the chill so much. I found it useful to wear soft comfortable camis under a loose-fitting button-down shirt while recovering from the surgery. You keep asking questions as needed and we will try to put your mind at ease.

Hugs!!!
    Jamie
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    jamiegww said:

Try not to worry.
    It's great that you obviously love your mother so much but she probably doesn't want to worry you. My daughter was there for me last year when I had my right breast removed and I was more concerned for her than I was for myself. The only pain I felt was from my IV (because it wasn't in a good place) and from the drains. My scar was and is still numb from the mastectomy and the lymph node removal so I didn't even feel the staples being removed. What I remember the most was being able to feel the cold on that side of my chest. I guess our breast really insulate us from the cold. When I sat watching TV, I usually placed a pillow where my breast used to be so I wouldn't feel the chill so much. I found it useful to wear soft comfortable camis under a loose-fitting button-down shirt while recovering from the surgery. You keep asking questions as needed and we will try to put your mind at ease.

Hugs!!!
    Jamie

I had no external sutures or
    I had no external sutures or staples - all sutures were internal.
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Rague said:

I had no external sutures or
    I had no external sutures or staples - all sutures were internal.

I had a radiacial mastectomy
    I had a radiacial mastectomy on June 1st.stayed one night in the hospital drain plugs for 2 weeks.mastectomy really was no problem oh yea i had the mastectomy on my left breast with nodes they removed 16 but only 8 where positive had inside stiches i'm doing chemo now . good luck MollyZ
  • renukagowda
    mollyz said:

I had a radiacial mastectomy
    I had a radiacial mastectomy on June 1st.stayed one night in the hospital drain plugs for 2 weeks.mastectomy really was no problem oh yea i had the mastectomy on my left breast with nodes they removed 16 but only 8 where positive had inside stiches i'm doing chemo now . good luck MollyZ

thanks
    thank u so much guys im relieved now frm ur answers
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398

thanks
    thank u so much guys im relieved now frm ur answers

MORE Relief
    Your mother is very lucky to have such a carring child by her side. I think if more families and friends truly knew the value of having good support more would be there to do more things. Support happens to be one of the most important things it seems yet so little is truly said and so many people with cancer are left to handle on their own.
    I am so glad that you too found a place to be supported and you have already learned the value of knowledge and understanding.
    YES mastectomies are doable but unlike the painless operation my doctor talked about it was painful and help can be needed if with simple things if suffering with pain. Do NOT let doctors negaite the possibilities there are that one can have a very difficult time and as long as treated for symptoms along the way it is all still doable.
    Loving CARE is the best medicine.
    Tara
  • renukagowda
    24242 said:

MORE Relief
    Your mother is very lucky to have such a carring child by her side. I think if more families and friends truly knew the value of having good support more would be there to do more things. Support happens to be one of the most important things it seems yet so little is truly said and so many people with cancer are left to handle on their own.
    I am so glad that you too found a place to be supported and you have already learned the value of knowledge and understanding.
    YES mastectomies are doable but unlike the painless operation my doctor talked about it was painful and help can be needed if with simple things if suffering with pain. Do NOT let doctors negaite the possibilities there are that one can have a very difficult time and as long as treated for symptoms along the way it is all still doable.
    Loving CARE is the best medicine.
    Tara

thank u
    dear tara
    thank u so much
    good luck for u