Doctor didn’t tell me I had a PSA level of 5.32 when he tested it in July, 2010.

CessnaFlyer
CessnaFlyer Member Posts: 110
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I'm 69 years old with a history of colon cancer and I’ve been having trouble passing urine lately and saw my family doctor today about it. He checked my prostate and said it didn’t seem that large. Then he checked my lab history and noted that I had had a PSA level of 5.32 last July and said we should check it again. One other thing, I've been taking Finasteride (Proscar) for about one year and from the research I've just done in the internet that can lower PSA levels by 50% and so some doctors double the PSA score and if that was done in my case then I would have a 10.64 level. Damn. So, now I’m waiting for the results which will hopefully be available tomorrow, but for now I’m really sweating it. I don’t want to go through another cancer. So, this has not been a good day.

Comments

• prostateman
    prostateman Member Posts: 18
    Sorry to hear about your
    Sorry to hear about your complications and new worries. Based on your statements about your doctor I would not be shy about seeing an urologist oncologist sooner than later.

Perhaps a biopsy might be in order and I am sure most would agree here not the most pleasant experience. If one is in order I would reach out to the group here and ask the do and don’t before the biopsy.

In the mean time I will hope for the best for you.
  • The Nev
    The Nev Member Posts: 50
    The waiting game
    Don't blame you the waiting is one of the hardest parts of this whoe experience or at least it was for me.

I have quite a few take offs in Cessna's but not very many landings in them!

Good luck with your results
  • VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    The Nev said:

The waiting game
    Don't blame you the waiting is one of the hardest parts of this whoe experience or at least it was for me.

I have quite a few take offs in Cessna's but not very many landings in them!

Good luck with your results

Sorry for the bad news
    Hi Flyer,
    Sorry for the bad news. Your PSA of 5.32 is also high but, without ruling out cancer, it could be from other reasons like an infection. I would recommend you to consult an urologist with the new results of tomorrow and start any action from there.
    I wish you get good results.
    VGama
  • CessnaFlyer
    CessnaFlyer Member Posts: 110

Sorry for the bad news
    Hi Flyer,
    Sorry for the bad news. Your PSA of 5.32 is also high but, without ruling out cancer, it could be from other reasons like an infection. I would recommend you to consult an urologist with the new results of tomorrow and start any action from there.
    I wish you get good results.
    VGama

Got the results
    My PSA is 0.82 and my Free PSA is 28.8%. My doctor doesn't know why my PSA went to 5.32 last July, especially when it was 1.56 in June, 2009. The reason it's lower than that right now is probably because now I'm taking Finasteride which I understand can lower PSI by 50%. In any case the doctor wants to do a re-test in 3-months, but for now I'm happy. :)
  • VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member

Got the results
    My PSA is 0.82 and my Free PSA is 28.8%. My doctor doesn't know why my PSA went to 5.32 last July, especially when it was 1.56 in June, 2009. The reason it's lower than that right now is probably because now I'm taking Finasteride which I understand can lower PSI by 50%. In any case the doctor wants to do a re-test in 3-months, but for now I'm happy. :)

Hi Flyer
    I am also happy for your results. Enjoy the flight.
    Merry Christmas.
  • marc1957
    marc1957 Member Posts: 79

Hi Flyer
    I am also happy for your results. Enjoy the flight.
    Merry Christmas.

Great news, happy holidays,
    Great news, happy holidays, relax & celebrate !
    -marc
  • Medcomglen
    Medcomglen Member Posts: 95

Got the results

PSA results
    Hi Flyer, I read that sex and riding a bike 1-2 days prior to a PSA test can increase the PSA level. Performing loop de loops may have the same effect. Little humor but food for thought. Wishing you low PSA scores and a Happy Holiday.