May I vent about work??

lizzie17
lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
How in 30 years of teaching, 60 outstanding evaluations, 9 principals and 4 schools, Once a Teacher of the Year! do I suddenly get an evaluation of not only less than perfect..........but, actually pretty bad???
New principal-- and I am not the only one, but it just makes me feel awful. Now I am doubting myself.....older, less energy, chemo brain?....just makes me want to cry. I love the kids and teaching them. Just trying to not take it so bad, because I know stress plays a big part of our healing.
Thanks for "listening"!

Comments

• momofbcb
    momofbcb Member Posts: 22
    Sorry you are having a bad
    Sorry you are having a bad time at work. Try not to let it get to you. Its the new boss not you. Feel better please.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    momofbcb said:

Sorry you are having a bad
    Sorry you are having a bad time at work. Try not to let it get to you. Its the new boss not you. Feel better please.

We all need to learn to let it go...
    I'm also having a challenging year at work. I keep asking myself, "Am I doing the best I can?" I always do my best so that makes me feel better. The lessons are everywhere. What I need to learn is to be compassionate with myself. I am not my work and if that's gone there will be a new adventure to replace it. You may be getting a message that teaching is not what you should be doing right now...or maybe it is. I would think about that. Life and joy is what this season is about. Find out what give you joy and do more of it. If they had asked the children, I'm sure the results would have been different. By the way, thanks for devoting your life to our children.

Roseann
  • lizzie17
    roseann4 said:

We all need to learn to let it go...
    I'm also having a challenging year at work. I keep asking myself, "Am I doing the best I can?" I always do my best so that makes me feel better. The lessons are everywhere. What I need to learn is to be compassionate with myself. I am not my work and if that's gone there will be a new adventure to replace it. You may be getting a message that teaching is not what you should be doing right now...or maybe it is. I would think about that. Life and joy is what this season is about. Find out what give you joy and do more of it. If they had asked the children, I'm sure the results would have been different. By the way, thanks for devoting your life to our children.

Roseann

thank you!
    And I have LOVED it. There is another type of job coming up soon.....I am thinking I should apply for it and share my years of experience helping the newbies, because we need them!! And I do think my kids and I have a great rapport, and that is what keeps me doing my best. Thank you, I think maybe teaching isn't what I should be doing because my new boss has made me feel that way, but maybe applying for that new job is.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Lizzie
    I'm sorry this happened. It doesn't help when spirits might already be down a bit! Know that you are the best teacher you can be!

I have to make a comment about the picture of your cat. He/she reminds me of a cat we had - could have been a twin! My cat, Guiness, passed away at only 9 years old while I was convalescing after breaking my shoulder. I like looking at your cat's picture :-) Thanks!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • HillBillyNana
    HillBillyNana Member Posts: 107
    Lizzie!! Lizzie!! I know
    Lizzie!! Lizzie!! I know exactly how you feel! I taught school for almost 20 years. I went through several principals during that time. Now you know as well as I do that every principal is different. Some of them want to be supportive of teachers, and some of them have a point to prove. Sometimes you can't figure out what the point is. But here is what you know: You are the same teacher you were before you got that less than perfect evaluation. So let it go. Put it in a file. Does it mean you have to do something else? like professional development? With 30 years of experience, you know how to find the least stressful PD. Your health and treatment is what is most important to you at the moment. You love teaching? And have done it for 30 years! Congratulate yourself and keep on doing what you have always done. Your vent makes me want to sit in the teacher's lounge and listen to your story. But what teacher ever gets to sit in the teacher's lounge? Isn't it strange that we can have years of good evaluations and ONE can ruin a day or even a school year for us? Let us know if you get the different job. What is it exactly? Coaching new teachers? Sounds wonderful!!

A former co-teacher (loved it) - (retired and loving it)
  • lizzie17
    cahjah75 said:

Lizzie
    I'm sorry this happened. It doesn't help when spirits might already be down a bit! Know that you are the best teacher you can be!

I have to make a comment about the picture of your cat. He/she reminds me of a cat we had - could have been a twin! My cat, Guiness, passed away at only 9 years old while I was convalescing after breaking my shoulder. I like looking at your cat's picture :-) Thanks!
    {{hugs}} Char

thanks
    Although my screen name is Lizzie17, my cat's name is Sammie. He is the sweetest and most precious cat in the world (well, to me) :) This sounds kind of weird, but I feel like he understands me, especially on the not so good days.
    I am sorry about your cat....do you ever consider another one?
  • lizzie17

Lizzie!! Lizzie!! I know
    Lizzie!! Lizzie!! I know exactly how you feel! I taught school for almost 20 years. I went through several principals during that time. Now you know as well as I do that every principal is different. Some of them want to be supportive of teachers, and some of them have a point to prove. Sometimes you can't figure out what the point is. But here is what you know: You are the same teacher you were before you got that less than perfect evaluation. So let it go. Put it in a file. Does it mean you have to do something else? like professional development? With 30 years of experience, you know how to find the least stressful PD. Your health and treatment is what is most important to you at the moment. You love teaching? And have done it for 30 years! Congratulate yourself and keep on doing what you have always done. Your vent makes me want to sit in the teacher's lounge and listen to your story. But what teacher ever gets to sit in the teacher's lounge? Isn't it strange that we can have years of good evaluations and ONE can ruin a day or even a school year for us? Let us know if you get the different job. What is it exactly? Coaching new teachers? Sounds wonderful!!

A former co-teacher (loved it) - (retired and loving it)

thanks for understanding
    It is funny, but I feel that every year I have grown as a teacher--didn't you? And I feel like this eval has ruined my whole school year. But not with the kids....I still bought 120 candy canes for all of them for Friday, because then we will be on winter break, and I always do a little something. We went on a field trip last week, and I have the pictures ready to take to school tomorrow. My homeroom recently won a door decorating contest about how kids can make a difference, and my test scores are up. SO, I decided to repeat to myself my favorite quote until I really believe it :) "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt.
    The new job is coaching new teachers and the applications will be out soon. I am going for it!!! Congrats on retiring.....enjoy!!
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    lizzie17 said:

thanks for understanding
    It is funny, but I feel that every year I have grown as a teacher--didn't you? And I feel like this eval has ruined my whole school year. But not with the kids....I still bought 120 candy canes for all of them for Friday, because then we will be on winter break, and I always do a little something. We went on a field trip last week, and I have the pictures ready to take to school tomorrow. My homeroom recently won a door decorating contest about how kids can make a difference, and my test scores are up. SO, I decided to repeat to myself my favorite quote until I really believe it :) "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt.
    The new job is coaching new teachers and the applications will be out soon. I am going for it!!! Congrats on retiring.....enjoy!!

Sticks and stones
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones..." but words can definitely hurt.
    I am looking at a potential change in my work situation after 6 years in the same school too. Change can be scary and fun at the same time. I hope you get the job coaching the new teachers. With your experience, and your obvious passion for doing well, they will be lucky to have you in their corner. May your new adventure enrich your life as much as your former one!

seof
  • lizzie17
    seof said:

Sticks and stones
    I am looking at a potential change in my work situation after 6 years in the same school too. Change can be scary and fun at the same time. I hope you get the job coaching the new teachers. With your experience, and your obvious passion for doing well, they will be lucky to have you in their corner. May your new adventure enrich your life as much as your former one!

seof

true true words hurt
    Thank you and I will give it my best in the interview ---provided I get an interview--to hopefully get it going. I am counting on the # of good references, and experience. Thanks for your confidence in me!!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    lizzie17 said:

true true words hurt
    Thank you and I will give it my best in the interview ---provided I get an interview--to hopefully get it going. I am counting on the # of good references, and experience. Thanks for your confidence in me!!

Make the choice to change
    Make the choice to change because it is good for you and what you want. Do not let others define who you are. a lesson I am just learning and trying to teach my children. that quote from eleanor roosevelt is so true.There is no replacing wisdom and experience and compassion. I have a hard time with people's motivations because I dont have most of their motivations, but generally it is not even about you. Of course we cant be complacent and if we are given good, constructive critisism, we have to acknowlege it. I am getting the feeling this is not the case with you. I have also received a load of crap at work, thatI did not deserve, because someone else had an agenda. the one gift of cancer has been that I just dont care, I dont have the energy to care about the nonsense. Very freeing. funny people respond to me differntly because I dont care. I am not vulnerable to their opinions. too bad in teaching we need to nuture and reward our great teachers.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    seof said:

Sticks and stones

seof

Seof said it so well. And,
    Seof said it so well. And, you know you are and have done a great job. Teachers are so precious now days and to find one that I am sure is excellent like you, deserves a thank you. So thank you Lizzie.

Hugs, Debby
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    feel bad your new boss feels this way
    YOU Know in your heart and you have all the documents to prove you are great worker...from all you stated above!
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398

feel bad your new boss feels this way
    YOU Know in your heart and you have all the documents to prove you are great worker...from all you stated above!

Teacher are our parents too
    I dont' blame teachers I blame society and parents like myself who were single and often could not be there when our children wanted us to be. Now work is everyone's life and the kids if lucky get to be shuttled around from one activity to the next and if not left to the streets it seems or locked up in houses watching tv or playinng video games.
    I am as much to blame as the next person raising a very angry teen and yes life styles do play a roll for us all and everything we think.
    I wish teachers were admired for now they often take a roll of parenting on top of the stressful job. Now the chances for children to further their educating are getting smaller purely due to costs. I am beginning to think it is time to get rid of the upper management and spend the money where it belongs on the kids.
    Tara