I did it! I got fipples!

Dawne.Hope
Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello ladies,

Yes, I went through it and got nips today! My insurance wouldn't pay to have it done in his office, so I had to have it done at the hospital. I refused to have anesthesia because it makes me so sick and I can't think clearly for weeks afterwards.

Here is an exerpt of an email I sent out to my friends. I feel so incredibly relieved!
__

I got fipples today! It was surreal being in an actual operating room and awake for the whole procedure. My PS asked if he could take pictures of the process and I said yes. There were three other PS's in the operating room ... the whole scenario was just surreal. I didn't think I had any feeling in the foobs but when he stuck the needle in for the local ... wow! Deep pain! I didn't realize until he was talking with the other PS that the alloderm sling comes up so high ... it comes up halfway the foob. I just thought an alloderm sling was at the very bottom. Very interesting. The weirdest part was the sewing up ... I could feel the pulling ... I felt like I was a quilt being quilted. Strange. I looked down at the fipples when they were done & they looked really pretty. I'm most uncomfortable in my shoulders right now ... I think I was pretty tense laying on the table ... weird because they strap your arms down, your legs down ... just weird.

I really, really struggled with this decision but now that it is over I am soooo glad I've at least tried to finish the process. I'm praying for no complications and a good result. Overall, I think today's experience was one of the stranger ones I've ever had.

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    I loved your explaining the
    I loved your explaining the process. When you were talking about the sewing, it made me think of Sally in Nightmare Before Christmas sewing her arm back on. Sometimes with all my scars, I feel a little like her. Glad it went well and praying for no complications.
    Stef
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    :-)
    So very happy for you, I am in the midst of scheduling mine I will let you know when I get a date.

Hugs,

RE
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    RE said:

:-)
    So very happy for you, I am in the midst of scheduling mine I will let you know when I get a date.

Hugs,

RE

Congrats Dawne! You sound
    Congrats Dawne! You sound so excited! So happy for you!

Sue :)
  • Dawne.Hope
    Ritzy said:

Congrats Dawne! You sound
    Congrats Dawne! You sound so excited! So happy for you!

Sue :)

thanks, ritzy! I am happy I
    thanks, ritzy! I am happy I did it and even more happy that it is over!

Steph, that's a powerful image! Thank you for the prayers! :)

RE, that's is so exciting! Please do keep us posted!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    sorry had to stop reading..
    I had surgery on KNUCKLE last year and freaked...and even passed out on way out of Dr office (I didnt' even look) had another finger done -instisted KNOCKED out...he agree 110%..

so I hope your story good one...since I couldnt' bear to read any more...lol...
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Dawne
    you were one brave woman and it must have been an awesome experience. Glad everything seems to be ok and wishing you no complications.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Congrats on your new nips!
    Congrats on your new nips! That's my next & final procedure I have to have done, I'm meeting with my plastic surgeon in a month to schedule a date!
    I know what you mean about the surreal experience of being awake in an operating room. I had my port removal this week, and it was in an outpatient surgical room, but I was awake for the process. They also strapped down my legs and I agree - the shots where they gave me the local anesthesia really hurt!
    I'm also praying that you have no complications & they turn out beautiful for you!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Congrats on your new nips! That's my next & final procedure I have to have done, I'm meeting with my plastic surgeon in a month to schedule a date!
    I know what you mean about the surreal experience of being awake in an operating room. I had my port removal this week, and it was in an outpatient surgical room, but I was awake for the process. They also strapped down my legs and I agree - the shots where they gave me the local anesthesia really hurt!
    I'm also praying that you have no complications & they turn out beautiful for you!
    *hugs*
    Heather

okay .. color me confused (no new thing) .. awake
    during this procedure? I prefer to be awake than knocked out.. without insurance do you mind me asking what this would cost ?

Dawne Hope you are a wonderful and strong Warrior - thank you for sharing your experience with us 'Warriors' still debating about nip's or just passing to the tattoo phase.

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    VickiSam said:

during this procedure? I prefer to be awake than knocked out.. without insurance do you mind me asking what this would cost ?

Dawne Hope you are a wonderful and strong Warrior - thank you for sharing your experience with us 'Warriors' still debating about nip's or just passing to the tattoo phase.

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam

:)
    so happy for you! Reminds me of my c-sections you could feel tugging and pulling but no pain!!!
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Wow Dawn what an
    Wow Dawn what an experience...i went thru that too with the port removal but i bet its much longer procedure to get the nips done.
    This is my next step to decide what im doing about the nips and im not sure what i want to do cuz im not sure of all the multiple choices we have to do it! But my doc was talking about skin graphs and all that...which i know i wont do, id rather have tattoos!
    Im glad your happy about your decision...thats the most important part...that your happy with it!
  • Dawne.Hope
    VickiSam said:

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam

VickiSam
    My insurance would only pay for it in the hospital ... not his office. I think overall, it is cheaper to have it do in the office. I don't know how much it costs. The 3-d tats ... depending on the artists (some of them will do it for bc patients reduced costs) ... can cost $600 or more.

Warrior Sister, may you make the best decision for you. Praying that you'll have wisdom. It's been two days ... and today I feel almost normal with very little pain. It's a breeze compared to what we've already gone through.

Strength and courage to you, dear sister,
    dh
  • Dawne.Hope
    jo jo said:

Wow Dawn what an
    Wow Dawn what an experience...i went thru that too with the port removal but i bet its much longer procedure to get the nips done.
    This is my next step to decide what im doing about the nips and im not sure what i want to do cuz im not sure of all the multiple choices we have to do it! But my doc was talking about skin graphs and all that...which i know i wont do, id rather have tattoos!
    Im glad your happy about your decision...thats the most important part...that your happy with it!

jojo
    I was completely overwhelmed ... sooooo many choices. My PS preferred the CV (or skate) flap procedure so I trusted him and went with it. It took me awhile to sort through all the fear and all the choices to figure out what I really wanted ... but once I did that I felt like I wanted an actual bump for a nip and not just a tat ... we're all so different though. May you have wisdom as you search out what's best for you. Just now that this part is sooooo much easier than what we've already gone through.

Bless you, sister!
    Much love,
    dh
  • Dawne.Hope

*hugs*
    Heather

Thank you, Heather!!
    So glad you had that port removed ... that is kind of a rite of passage, isn't it? The nightmare is almost over!

Thank you for your prayers. Last night was the first night I took off the bandages and they looked gross. I took a shower this morning and they look somewhat better. It's only been 2 days ... so I need to take my own advice and wait it out! ;)

I hope your new girls are settling in nicely! Congrats on getting yours scheduled soon. We'll have new boobies by the first of the year! :)

Much Love to you,
    dh
  • carriesoup
    carriesoup Member Posts: 144
    YYAAAAAHHH for
    YYAAAAAHHH for fipples!!!

glad things went well and that they are pretty :)

*hugs*

carrie :)