Sugar

Annette 11
Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Sisters I have a Question. Does having sugary deserts hurt us after BC? When I eat sweets I think about what I had read in a few comments awhile back but I'm not sure what was said. During the holiday's there were pie's and we had sweeeet birthday cakes at that time also. How much sugar can we have daily? Not that I eat alot, but when I have cookies or put some syrup on pancakes,etc. I think about it.
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Annette:)

Comments

• joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Valuable website
    Hi Annette.

Here is a website that has a listing of foods that are recommended for breast cancer and also a listing of foods to avoid. Sugar is on the avoid list:

http://foodforbreastcancer.com/foods/sugar

Can't wait for this season to end along with my treatment so that I can lose the weight I gained while feeling sorry for myself after my dx.

JoAnn
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    joannstar said:

Valuable website
    Hi Annette.

Here is a website that has a listing of foods that are recommended for breast cancer and also a listing of foods to avoid. Sugar is on the avoid list:

http://foodforbreastcancer.com/foods/sugar

Can't wait for this season to end along with my treatment so that I can lose the weight I gained while feeling sorry for myself after my dx.

JoAnn

I still eat desserts just
    I still eat desserts just less. some people thing sugar feeds cancer cells, I am not sure. I know keeping your weight down is important. As fat increases estrogen. Ben and Jerrys has been calling my name lately sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Most of my life (since of

Most of my life (since of the age of 5) I have been vegetarian, juiced, ate fresh organic fruit and vegtables, little sugar and absolutely no white sugar, no white flour and plenty more. However I still got breast cancer.

What I have learnt is that anything moderation is alright. In fact indulging in a little pie or cake or chocolate can bring great pleasure to ones sense and really enhance ones sense of well-being. It is really the over indulgence that can do significant harm. I allow myself over the holidays to a certain number of dessert calories per day and I do stay within it. I also savour every bite I take to make it last as long as I can so that I don't go back for more. It works for me. I don't feel deprived and in fact I feel nurtured.

take care.
  • warrrior3
    warrrior3 Member Posts: 92
    When I met my
    Oncologist last week I asked him about sugar and a BC fighting diet. His answer to me was there is no cancer fighting diet. He told me to eat a heart healthy diet. I have to admit I was annoyed by this lack of information since I had been reading so much on the internet regarding sugar "feeding" cancer. He also said I could have a glass or two of alcohol. I have been a Lifetime member of Weight Watchers since August 2008 and have maintained my goal weight so I will continue eating a high produce, high fiber, lowfat diet and will indulge once in a while. I look forward to reading the above mentioned website.
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    warrrior3 said:

When I met my
    Oncologist last week I asked him about sugar and a BC fighting diet. His answer to me was there is no cancer fighting diet. He told me to eat a heart healthy diet. I have to admit I was annoyed by this lack of information since I had been reading so much on the internet regarding sugar "feeding" cancer. He also said I could have a glass or two of alcohol. I have been a Lifetime member of Weight Watchers since August 2008 and have maintained my goal weight so I will continue eating a high produce, high fiber, lowfat diet and will indulge once in a while. I look forward to reading the above mentioned website.

Every Week
    It seems like every week there is a study that says something is bad for you and then a couple of months later, it's not so bad or even good for you. Back in the '90's it was fat was bad for you and Vitamin E was the wonder pill. Now some fats, if not all are good for you and fish oil is the supplement of choice. I've decided to give up and follow Julia Child - everything in moderation. That way,I figure all bases are covered!!!!

Hugs, Sally
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    healthy food
    I agree with "all things in moderation". I think if we all (bc survivors or not) would follow the recommendations of heart-healthy or diabetic-friendly diets (high in veggies/lean protein, low in carbs, nothing totally banned, PORTION CONTROL) and try not to be total couch potatoes we would all be reasonably healthy and happy.

Live as well as you can for as long as you can. seof.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    seof said:

healthy food
    I agree with "all things in moderation". I think if we all (bc survivors or not) would follow the recommendations of heart-healthy or diabetic-friendly diets (high in veggies/lean protein, low in carbs, nothing totally banned, PORTION CONTROL) and try not to be total couch potatoes we would all be reasonably healthy and happy.

Live as well as you can for as long as you can. seof.

the book anti cancer has
    the book anti cancer has some ideas about nutrition you might find interesting
  • HeartofSoul
    HeartofSoul Member Posts: 729 Member
    carkris said:

the book anti cancer has
    the book anti cancer has some ideas about nutrition you might find interesting

myth 1, sugar feeds
    myth 1, sugar feeds cancer

research it on the top medical center sites and cancer sites and there is no link between sugar and any kind of cancer in terms of increasing the likihood of one getting cancer
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    My 2 Cents
    When I was first dx with cancer in 1997 one of the first questions I had was what did I do wrong and will changing my eating habits help. My Onco said no one food is going to make the cancer come back that as long as we eat a balanced diet and do not over indulge we are on the right course. I tend to agree that as long as we are not eating spoonfuls of sugar on a regular basis it should be fine, so I plan to eat my pie and other treats this holiday then return to my normal balanced diet. On a day to day basis I cook a lot with splenda to keep the weight off not the sugar. Just my opinion and that of my oncologist.

RE
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    I met with the nutritionist
    I met with the nutritionist at my cancer center a week or so ago. I asked her about the "sugar feeding cancer" thing. She said I should limit my sugar intake, but not because it will cause my cancer to come back , but to develop healthier eating habits. She explained it to me that sugar does not go directly to cancer cells in your body & make them multiply - meaning that cancer cells are not going to grow & multiply simply because there's sugar there fueling them. She did debunk the "sugar feeds cancer" myth for me.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    carkris said:

I still eat desserts just
    I still eat desserts just less. some people thing sugar feeds cancer cells, I am not sure. I know keeping your weight down is important. As fat increases estrogen. Ben and Jerrys has been calling my name lately sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty much everything gives
    Pretty much everything gives you cancer, according to someone's report. The main thing my oncologist told me to avoid is soy, as I am estrogen +. However, soy is still hidden in some foods, so, I am sure I still get some.

Hugs, Jan
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member

I met with the nutritionist
    I met with the nutritionist at my cancer center a week or so ago. I asked her about the "sugar feeding cancer" thing. She said I should limit my sugar intake, but not because it will cause my cancer to come back , but to develop healthier eating habits. She explained it to me that sugar does not go directly to cancer cells in your body & make them multiply - meaning that cancer cells are not going to grow & multiply simply because there's sugar there fueling them. She did debunk the "sugar feeds cancer" myth for me.
    *hugs*
    Heather

All things in moderation.
    I have read many books about what's good and what's not good to eat to prevent cancer. Some are obvious like smoking which was never my thing. However, I have no intention of giving up everything I love to avoid death....which is inevitable. It's the holidays and I intend to enjoy them. Yum!

Roseann
  • shelbyhome
    shelbyhome Member Posts: 145
    roseann4 said:

All things in moderation.
    I have read many books about what's good and what's not good to eat to prevent cancer. Some are obvious like smoking which was never my thing. However, I have no intention of giving up everything I love to avoid death....which is inevitable. It's the holidays and I intend to enjoy them. Yum!

Roseann

My doc always says
    My doc always says "everything in moderation"
    My cousin was dx with BC and stayed away from all the junk, ate healthy and now has cancer in her bones and now they are checking her brain, So you never know I think just follow you heart.Hugs :) Robbin