Get this monster out of me please!!

Erika_phoenix
Erika_phoenix Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
On December 6th, shortly after I woke up, I noticed a large lump in my abdomen. Soon, I was being examined by a doctor friend of mine who told me to get to urgent care. I immediately went, and was told to go get an ultrasound performed. Got it. One hour later, I received the news. "A 12.8 cm solid and cystic mass in right adnexa with moderate amount of free fluid in pelvis. Findings are most consistent with a primary ovarian mass, more likely malignant, less likely benign..." Now I feel as though I am at a standstill. I am unemployed and uninsured. I applied for medicaid, and I am waiting for Moffitt Cancer Center to contact me to tell me if I am approved for their uninsured program. In the meantime, I feel as though I have a monster consuming me from the inside out, and a terror that the powers that be will drag their feet. I have two small children, age two and five. I am 36 years old. Just not ready to give up and I am scared of the damage that can happen while I am waiting for a surgery that is being delayed by red tape. I don't know what I can do to expedite this. If anyone can give me advice, PLEASE let me know. I reside in the state of Florida if that is any help.

Comments

• Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Google Florida Health Care
    Google Florida Health Care Safety Net. You will find a link to a pdf file that might be of some help.

Most counties have indigent care programs, especially for urgent medical issues such as yours. Don't panic. But do make this a priority. Don't wait for help to come to you.

Please come back and let us know what happens.

Carlene
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    help for you
    also National Cancer survivor network can help you ..there are many grants given to these places ,even the American cancer society may be able to help. also ask you dr. for help he may be able to expidite your medicaid due to the urgency of your illness I hope you find the help soon and wish you the best of luck keep us posted ,,,we are all here for you
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Hi,
    There are many programs

Hi,

There are many programs that helps individuals that find themselves in this type of dilema.

I too had no insurance at the time and because of these wonderful programs, I was able to receive ALL of my treatments for my cancer.

The hospital/clinic financial office usually will help with what program will work for you; so don't worry TOO much about that part.

I'm a stage iv ovca fighter and am currently in remission with a pretty decent quality of life too. So, know that you CAN live with cancer ( if that is what it turns out to be). I have and it's been almost 4yrs now.

Take care and God Bless,

Sharon
  • sheryl912
    sheryl912 Member Posts: 19
    Hang on
    Erika, hang in there. I have found that Moffitt needs to have a fire lit under their collective tushies from time to time. I think they probably consider me a pain in the butt patient but I don't really care, so you might want to call them. Try to pin them down on WHEN they will have an answer for you. They should have some idea of how long the approval process should take.

I have been told (note I'm not a health professional, this is just stuff I have read or been told by my docs) that MOST cancers are not quick growers, so I'm thinking this small delay to treatment shouldn't set you back too awful much.

In the meantime, think positive, it is still possible that it isn't cancer. It's not cancer until they tell you for sure it is! My gyn surgeon told me she removed a softball sized tumor from a woman's ovary once, PLUS she had a very elevated CA 125 count, yet it still was not malignant.\

Good luck, I really hope you can have a miracle and that it's NOT cancer!