Tamoxifen and aspirin

survgal
survgal Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Is anyone taking aspirin and tamoxifen?
I would like to take aspirin to prevent a reoccurance but I heard it cannot be taken together.

Comments

• Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Yes
    I've been taking a baby aspirin since well before my bc dx nearly 3 years ago. Neither my onc or PCP has said not to. I know you're not supposed to take some anti depressants with Tamox but never heard not to take aspirin.

Hugs, Sally
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138

Yes
    I've been taking a baby aspirin since well before my bc dx nearly 3 years ago. Neither my onc or PCP has said not to. I know you're not supposed to take some anti depressants with Tamox but never heard not to take aspirin.

Hugs, Sally

Me too
    My Onc suggested taking a low dose 81 mg. asprin 3-4 times a week and I am on tamoxifen, I had not heard you could not either. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Yes

Hugs, Sally

I take one baby aspirin a
    I take one baby aspirin a day, but, I am not on tamox.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    DebbyM said:

I take one baby aspirin a
    I take one baby aspirin a day, but, I am not on tamox.

aspirin
    I'm on tamoxifen and take an 81 mg aspirin every day. My PCP, oncologist, radiation oncologist and surgeon all know ... and no one has said to stop the aspirin ... so it must be OK ... at least for me.

hugs.
    teena
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    tgf said:

aspirin
    I'm on tamoxifen and take an 81 mg aspirin every day. My PCP, oncologist, radiation oncologist and surgeon all know ... and no one has said to stop the aspirin ... so it must be OK ... at least for me.

hugs.
    teena

I take an aspirin daily. I
    I take an aspirin daily. I asked my oncologist and he said that it was fine.

Sue :)
  • Watercolor
    Watercolor Member Posts: 45
    Tamoxifen and aspirin
    I took five years of Tamoxifen -- Jan. '03 - Jan. '08 after DCIS diagnosis. I am fine today except . . . . For a while during those five years I took one, maybe two baby aspirin every day for a while. Heard the aspirin did good things for you. Thought nothing of it -- just baby aspirin. At some point during the five years, the skin on my lower lower legs and tops of my feet started darkening. Kinda like a dirty tan. Ugly color. Then it started fading. But just faded to color blotches. Then it stayed like that. Eventually asked two different doctors. Both said same thing. It is from Tamoxifen / aspirin combo. If I understood correctly, the combo collapses your veins, blood drains away, but iron stays in the collapsed veins. Hence the darkened skin. Blotches remaining are permanent. It may not happen to everyone, but it happened to me. It's not purdy.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Tamoxifen and aspirin
    I took five years of Tamoxifen -- Jan. '03 - Jan. '08 after DCIS diagnosis. I am fine today except . . . . For a while during those five years I took one, maybe two baby aspirin every day for a while. Heard the aspirin did good things for you. Thought nothing of it -- just baby aspirin. At some point during the five years, the skin on my lower lower legs and tops of my feet started darkening. Kinda like a dirty tan. Ugly color. Then it started fading. But just faded to color blotches. Then it stayed like that. Eventually asked two different doctors. Both said same thing. It is from Tamoxifen / aspirin combo. If I understood correctly, the combo collapses your veins, blood drains away, but iron stays in the collapsed veins. Hence the darkened skin. Blotches remaining are permanent. It may not happen to everyone, but it happened to me. It's not purdy.

I take both. onc is fine in
    I take both. onc is fine in fact he suggested it. said studies showed it to hep prevent recurrence. I also want it to help with the potential clot problem. that blotchy thing doesnt sound fun, will watch for it. But at this point will risk it , if it helps prevent recurrence and clots.