milk and low dosage aspirin

gagee
gagee Member Posts: 332
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i recently heard or read that breast cancer patients should not drink reg milk and should take low dosage aspirin. I need to call onc and ask but thought maybe someone here knows about it. My onc didn't tell me about diet at all. Well except for eating healthy which my primary is always telling me that. Exercise and eat heathy. I have appt. on Jan. 6th and have a list of questions. Guess she thinks I know what to do. She had to take me off arimidex because of all the side effects. So she wants to see me after I have been off the pill for a few weeks. Wish I knew more of what to ask.......

Diana

Comments

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Diana, I saw on the news a
    Diana, I saw on the news a report about bc survivors taking one aspirin daily. I already did anyway. But, you do need to ask your oncologist to be sure.

I don't know about regular milk being bad for us. Let us know what you find out at your appointment and good luck.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Angie2U said:

Diana, I saw on the news a report about bc survivors taking one aspirin daily. I already did anyway. But, you do need to ask your oncologist to be sure.

I don't know about regular milk being bad for us. Let us know what you find out at your appointment and good luck.

Oh MY
    Well that certainly explains why my husband has started giving me a lose dose aspirin each night for the past few nights, thanks for the enlightenment.

RE
  • RE
    Angie2U said:

Oh MY
    Well that certainly explains why my husband has started giving me a lose dose aspirin each night for the past few nights, thanks for the enlightenment.

RE
  • RE
    Angie2U said:

Oh MY
    double post
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    RE said:

Oh MY
    double post

My Onc. reccomended that I
    My Onc. reccomended that I take a low dose asprin 3-4 times a week, I take one every other day. I am not a big milk drinker but have used fat free for years so I am not sure about that. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Diana
    my pcp started me on low dose aspirin daily several years ago. I'm 61. I've been drinking skim milk for more than 15 years. But if you have questions ask your onc.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    There are now several
    There are now several studies that are demonstrating a benefit of a daily low dose aspirin. Ask your doctor about them.

I don't know about milk? Unless you mean organic vs regular? I always try to buy organic--especially foods like milk that I eat or drink a lot of because the pesticides in or on regular foods can have an estrogenic effect in a bad way. Please post study about milk, if you know of one. Thanks.
  • CypressCynthia

There are now several
    There are now several studies that are demonstrating a benefit of a daily low dose aspirin. Ask your doctor about them.

I don't know about milk? Unless you mean organic vs regular? I always try to buy organic--especially foods like milk that I eat or drink a lot of because the pesticides in or on regular foods can have an estrogenic effect in a bad way. Please post study about milk, if you know of one. Thanks.

P.S. some links re aspirin
    Asprin Intake and Survival After Breast Cancer

More Evidence Aspirin Protects Against Breast Cancer

Aspirin Use and Cancer

Asprin cuts Risk of Cancer
  • KathyLQ
    KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
    Aspirin perhaps is acting like a aromatase inhibitor
    So it appears that Aspirin is acting like a aromatase inhibitor.

From the Cancer society web site: " He and his colleagues suspect that aspirin spurs a process that decreases the production of aromatase, which in turn suppresses the production of estrogen, the female hormone that can fuel the growth of breast cancer."

I had an interesting experience while taking aspirin. My family physician had said I should start, that he recommended it for all his patients over 50.
    Then, two years ago I tripped myself and hit my head on my paved driveway. Got a concussion, huge swelling on my head, a blood vessel had broke. I ended up with huge black eyes, and many other bruises on my body where I didn’t expect. Then I remembered I was taking aspirin daily, so I stopped. I do bruise very easily, and began to worry if I was in something like a car accident, while on aspirin (which is a blood thinner), I could bleed to death. So everyone has to weigh the risks and benefits for themselves.
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    check out this website
    I like this website for checking on what foods are recommended for Breast Cancer survivors and what foods should be avoided. Here is the link specific to milk:

http://foodforbreastcancer.com/foods/milk

Perhaps this will help.

JoAnn
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    joannstar said:

check out this website
    I like this website for checking on what foods are recommended for Breast Cancer survivors and what foods should be avoided. Here is the link specific to milk:

Perhaps this will help.

JoAnn

milk and aspirin
    Thank you all for your info. I see doctor on Jan. 6th and will check with her and will let you know what she advises. This whole cancer thing is such the nightmare. We are all different and have different doctors. I do know that getting off the Arimidex has helped me to feel better. That pill was taking me down every day.

Prayers and Hugs to All,
    Diana
  • CypressCynthia
    joannstar said:

check out this website

Perhaps this will help.

JoAnn

OK I'm a stickler for the
    OK I'm a stickler for the studies and, the problem with that particular site re milk, is 1) the studies that I click on are either inconclusive or are talking about dairy fat and 2) the web site has a big old disclaimer:
    "Thank you for visiting our website, foodforbreastcancer.com. Food for Breast Cancer makes no warranties or representations whatsoever regarding the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or usefulness of any information contained in or referenced on this website. Food for Breast Cancer does not assume any risk whatsoever for your use of this website or any of the information contained herein." I know, I know--their lawyers made them say it. But I am also always wary of a dotcom site (com=commercial vs dotorg or dotgov)--many are legit, but many are not.

I am keeping an open mind about organic skim milk as the benefits appear to outweigh the risks for me--I need all of the quality calcium I can get. And I would like to see a study in an oncology journal or a preponderance of evidence one way or another.
  • CypressCynthia
    KathyLQ said:

Aspirin perhaps is acting like a aromatase inhibitor
    So it appears that Aspirin is acting like a aromatase inhibitor.

From the Cancer society web site: " He and his colleagues suspect that aspirin spurs a process that decreases the production of aromatase, which in turn suppresses the production of estrogen, the female hormone that can fuel the growth of breast cancer."

I had an interesting experience while taking aspirin. My family physician had said I should start, that he recommended it for all his patients over 50.
    Then, two years ago I tripped myself and hit my head on my paved driveway. Got a concussion, huge swelling on my head, a blood vessel had broke. I ended up with huge black eyes, and many other bruises on my body where I didn’t expect. Then I remembered I was taking aspirin daily, so I stopped. I do bruise very easily, and began to worry if I was in something like a car accident, while on aspirin (which is a blood thinner), I could bleed to death. So everyone has to weigh the risks and benefits for themselves.

Or as an antiinflammatory
    Or as an antiinflammatory (or both)? There is much evidence out there that an inflamed or irritaed cell may become cancerous. That is why foods that reduce inflammation may also be important (such as wild caught Alaskan salmon).

New Link Found Between Inflammation and Cancer

Linking Inflammation and Cancer

Chronic Inflammation and Cancer
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

OK I'm a stickler for the
    OK I'm a stickler for the studies and, the problem with that particular site re milk, is 1) the studies that I click on are either inconclusive or are talking about dairy fat and 2) the web site has a big old disclaimer:
    "Thank you for visiting our website, foodforbreastcancer.com. Food for Breast Cancer makes no warranties or representations whatsoever regarding the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or usefulness of any information contained in or referenced on this website. Food for Breast Cancer does not assume any risk whatsoever for your use of this website or any of the information contained herein." I know, I know--their lawyers made them say it. But I am also always wary of a dotcom site (com=commercial vs dotorg or dotgov)--many are legit, but many are not.

I am keeping an open mind about organic skim milk as the benefits appear to outweigh the risks for me--I need all of the quality calcium I can get. And I would like to see a study in an oncology journal or a preponderance of evidence one way or another.

My onc is a stickler for the
    My onc is a stickler for the studies, being a nurse he uses all the lingo and explains it to me. He can be Dr. Scientific sometimes and not always on the ball emotionally. However he knows his studies, and told to take an aspirin as the studies indicate it would be helpful. I also have a fair amount of heart disease in my family. Over the years studies have shown aspirin to be helpful in other cancers as well. There is also a lot of research being done on inflamation. My unit is studying it. and there are many diets described as anti inflammatory. I think it is worth it to try it.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    RE said:

Oh MY

RE

I also take a low dose
    I also take a low dose aspirin. I thought we were always suppose to?
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Or as an antiinflammatory
    Or as an antiinflammatory (or both)? There is much evidence out there that an inflamed or irritaed cell may become cancerous. That is why foods that reduce inflammation may also be important (such as wild caught Alaskan salmon).

New Link Found Between Inflammation and Cancer

Linking Inflammation and Cancer

Chronic Inflammation and Cancer

Thanks for the information
    Thanks for the information and links.