Neuropathy in my fingers real bad

new2me
new2me Member Posts: 177 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I need some advise - I am 2 months out since my last chemo (taxotere & carboplatin)and I have been having terrible pain in my fingers (not my feet) arthritis and carpool tunnel symptons. At night it's worse - very stiff, tingling and sharp stabbing pains. My dr.only suggest Aleve - but that doesn;t seem to help much.
How long will this last - do you know? and what did you take to ease the pain?
I know we are all diffent but please share your experience with me?

Love,
Kelly

Comments

• webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    It is a slow recovery, I had
    It is a slow recovery, I had to take pain pills for a time, but it is better now. Its been about 13 months since my last chemo (TAXOL) treatment. My hands are particularly clumbsy and not nearly as strong as they used to be. But I don't hurt much anymore. I hope that helps...hugs alison
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    I have sensitive fingers
    and I'm unable to use my hands like I'm used to. I drop things and can't open sealed bags. I do a lot of data entry and since my 4th treatment of T-C, my fingernails are hurting every time I type. (But since I MUST keep my job, I'm not complaining (out load anyway.)When I saw my onc and he looked at my hands he said he was afraid that I might loose some fingernails--eek! After the 3rd treatment I had to sit with my feet on ice packs because they burned so much--that lasted for 7 days.
    I hope you can find a solution!
    Hugs,
    JoAnn
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Possible resource
    Hi Kelly.
    I found a discussion about peripheral neuropathy with some suggestions on another discussion board at this site. Go back to the main discussion board listing and under other, there is a thread for "long term effects of treatment". Once there, you'll see a discussion of peripheral neuropathy with some possible treatments.
    Good luck,
    JoAnn
  • grandmasueb
    grandmasueb Member Posts: 49
    joannstar said:

Possible resource
    Hi Kelly.
    I found a discussion about peripheral neuropathy with some suggestions on another discussion board at this site. Go back to the main discussion board listing and under other, there is a thread for "long term effects of treatment". Once there, you'll see a discussion of peripheral neuropathy with some possible treatments.
    Good luck,
    JoAnn

I am only 2 months out of
    I am only 2 months out of treatment with Taxol My feet are still numb I am taking B 12 and B6 every day it is helping a great deal and it gives me alot of energy as well. My ONC said it could take as long as 6 months to get my feeling back. I wish you well and I hope your pain gets better as each day goes by.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

It is a slow recovery, I had
    It is a slow recovery, I had to take pain pills for a time, but it is better now. Its been about 13 months since my last chemo (TAXOL) treatment. My hands are particularly clumbsy and not nearly as strong as they used to be. But I don't hurt much anymore. I hope that helps...hugs alison

I don't have this, but, I
    I don't have this, but, I wish your doctor could give you more than just Aleve for the pain. Can he? I hope you get relief soon.

Hugs, Angie
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Kelly,
    Sorry I don't have any advise. Just wanted to say hi and see how you are doing. How is your new grandbaby? Hugs, Jean
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868

I am only 2 months out of
    I am only 2 months out of treatment with Taxol My feet are still numb I am taking B 12 and B6 every day it is helping a great deal and it gives me alot of energy as well. My ONC said it could take as long as 6 months to get my feeling back. I wish you well and I hope your pain gets better as each day goes by.

What dosage are you taking?
    What is the dosage for your Vitamin B 12 and Vitamin B6?

Janelle
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Kelly,
    Sorry I don't have any advise. Just wanted to say hi and see how you are doing. How is your new grandbaby? Hugs, Jean

I have peripheral neuropathy
    I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet and hands. My hands used to hurt so much and the pain traveled up my arm. My feet hurt as well, making the sheets hurt, shoes and socks tough. fortunately I could wear flip flops in the summer. My hands are much better the numbness has lessend, the pain is gone. I was unable to do much with my hands but the dexterity is so much improved. My feet are still numb and hurt but also are significantly better. I can wear socks and shoes now yay!!!
    I went to a neurologist and they prescribed neurontin for this, I did not tolerate the med so could never get to a dose high enough to help. Also lyrica helps, and some antidepressants, cymbalta is one of them. I take B6, In retrospect I wish I had taken it during treatment. the dietician at the cancer center said to take 75 mg of B6 the health food store only had 50 or 100. so I take 100mg. (ask your doc). MY treatment ended last january. although I wish my feet were not numb I am encouraged by the slow improvemnt. Oh yes another issue was they were hypersensative, walking barefoot, etc. the feeling is more amplified, I call it the princess and the pea syndrome.