joining curves to get strength back

upnorthlive57
upnorthlive57 Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone else joined womens curves for exercise to get strength back after bc (in remission )?? I can get two weeks free from avon, but am seriously nervous about arm workouts and lymphedea...( sp ) Chen what do you think?

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I have a girlfriend who had
    I have a girlfriend who had been a member of Curves for several years. I have been a member of Jazzercise for over 10 years. Do you have a Jazzercise center near you? The thing I LOVE about Jazzercise is that you work out at your pace meaning you can do the routine high impact or low impact. I continued to exercise after my lumpectomy (as soon as my doc say I was good to go) and also after my mastectomy. I found myself doing the routines low impact. I just had my exchange surgery 3 weeks ago and am biting at the bit to get back to exercise. You are so right, it does help your strength and the added plus is that you will meet some wonderful ladies as well. This workout emcompasses stretching, cardio and strength training. My girlfriend who had been with Curves for years decided to give Jazzercise a try and she joined Jazzercise. Good luck in your exercise decision.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    I belonged to Curves for over 5 years
    It was good for me then, but two years ago felt that I needed a change, because I was doing the same thing everytime. At Curves, the machines are hydraulic and not weights, so it might be a good idea to start off there. You have the two weeks free. I say go for it. You should try to go at least 3 times each week to see if it's what you want. Two years ago I left Curves and going the Y. Loved it there. Could do something different every day. This year they opened a Planet Fitness and I left the Y and belong to Planet Fitness. All the machines and equipment are the same, except that it is only $10 a month. The only thing I miss it that Planet Fitness doesn't have classes.

Forgot to say the best thing about Curves was the friends that I made there. Some are still at Curves and many are at Planet Fitness. A lot have been my major supporters during this b.c. crap. Hugs, Jean
  • upnorthlive57
    upnorthlive57 Member Posts: 41
    Jean 0609 said:

I belonged to Curves for over 5 years
    It was good for me then, but two years ago felt that I needed a change, because I was doing the same thing everytime. At Curves, the machines are hydraulic and not weights, so it might be a good idea to start off there. You have the two weeks free. I say go for it. You should try to go at least 3 times each week to see if it's what you want. Two years ago I left Curves and going the Y. Loved it there. Could do something different every day. This year they opened a Planet Fitness and I left the Y and belong to Planet Fitness. All the machines and equipment are the same, except that it is only $10 a month. The only thing I miss it that Planet Fitness doesn't have classes.

Forgot to say the best thing about Curves was the friends that I made there. Some are still at Curves and many are at Planet Fitness. A lot have been my major supporters during this b.c. crap. Hugs, Jean

planet fit / curves
    thank you for you for all the information I received, it is just what I needed...there is a planet fit here maybe after I get strength back Ill get brave... I had no idea about arimidex side effects wow probably half my problems, knees screamin, feet cryin, and toes just goin awol...off balance sometimes usually when I get out of bed or get up fast...today feeling like Ive been hit by something hard and left in the road (lol) thank you sisters for the info again this is the best place to get the facts straight so to say...Hugs to all Linda
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

I have a girlfriend who had
    I have a girlfriend who had been a member of Curves for several years. I have been a member of Jazzercise for over 10 years. Do you have a Jazzercise center near you? The thing I LOVE about Jazzercise is that you work out at your pace meaning you can do the routine high impact or low impact. I continued to exercise after my lumpectomy (as soon as my doc say I was good to go) and also after my mastectomy. I found myself doing the routines low impact. I just had my exchange surgery 3 weeks ago and am biting at the bit to get back to exercise. You are so right, it does help your strength and the added plus is that you will meet some wonderful ladies as well. This workout emcompasses stretching, cardio and strength training. My girlfriend who had been with Curves for years decided to give Jazzercise a try and she joined Jazzercise. Good luck in your exercise decision.

I have a girlfriend that
    I have a girlfriend that loves Curves, has lost weight and feels so much better. Be sure and check with your oncologist before starting something like this.

Good luck, Jan
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    local GYM
    I did not take advantage but one of the local gyms gave Cancer patients 3 or so free months of the gym...any time..during or post treatment etc...
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I think that is the greatest
    I think that is the greatest idea! Danny and I aim to go to our gym 2-3 X week and we walk the dogs every day (usually 2-3 miles). It isn't much, but anything we do is better than nothing. BTW, since going to the gym (even irregularly), my HDL (good cholesterol) has come up--yay!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I have done lots of things!
    I have done lots of things! My local YMCA has a program for those of us in treatment, and up to one year out of treatment called the Well-Fit program. It is FREE ~ and as I recall, about 6 weeks long. I met with a personal trainer who had exercises specifically designed for me, and I had to log in and check off each exercise I did.
    All of the Y services were open to me, though the Well-Fit program was 3X a week for an hour. I really loved that!

I also belonged to Curves, and did like it alot, even with the repetitive program. It became too expensive for me to keep up~ my sister needed me to help her with some bills so I had to let Curves go.

The program I loved best though was Jazzercise!!!! Fun, sweaty, not a meat-market, great women, and effective~ and good music too! It isn't competitive, and I worked out a lot and dranks tons of water...it always made me feel good!

I also do Leslie Sansone's walking programs ON Demand at home when the weather stinks! It is surprising how fast paces and strenuous her 2 miles are! I like her personality and feel I am truly doing something good for me!

Aside from that I walk, walk, walk...with the dog,or with a walking buddy as much as I can!

Check with your doctor; I have not found any Drs who tell us NOT to exercise! Quite the contrary!

Let us know what you chose, and how much you are loving it! Endorphins are a goooood thing!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    chenheart said:

I have done lots of things!
    I have done lots of things! My local YMCA has a program for those of us in treatment, and up to one year out of treatment called the Well-Fit program. It is FREE ~ and as I recall, about 6 weeks long. I met with a personal trainer who had exercises specifically designed for me, and I had to log in and check off each exercise I did.
    All of the Y services were open to me, though the Well-Fit program was 3X a week for an hour. I really loved that!

I also belonged to Curves, and did like it alot, even with the repetitive program. It became too expensive for me to keep up~ my sister needed me to help her with some bills so I had to let Curves go.

The program I loved best though was Jazzercise!!!! Fun, sweaty, not a meat-market, great women, and effective~ and good music too! It isn't competitive, and I worked out a lot and dranks tons of water...it always made me feel good!

I also do Leslie Sansone's walking programs ON Demand at home when the weather stinks! It is surprising how fast paces and strenuous her 2 miles are! I like her personality and feel I am truly doing something good for me!

Aside from that I walk, walk, walk...with the dog,or with a walking buddy as much as I can!

Check with your doctor; I have not found any Drs who tell us NOT to exercise! Quite the contrary!

Let us know what you chose, and how much you are loving it! Endorphins are a goooood thing!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I think it would be great
    I think it would be great for you to get into an exercise program. Exercise can do more than just help our bodies, it also strengthens our mind as you always feel better.

And, you SHOULD check with your doctor first! I am sure they will be very happy for you and recommend it. But, they need to know what you are doing.

Hugs, Diane