Strange day, strange feeling

sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My surgery was a year ago today. So, it was a strange day. When I would look at the clock, I thought, Well, I was doing the wire guide thing or the dye injection, or in surgery. I feel like I have relived the whole day. We even had a lot of snow that day. I wasn't dwelling on this anniversary, but it really crept up on me. A totally different feeling than the first mammo, etc.

Do you know what I mean? What did you experience?

Sue

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I didnt relive the details
    I didnt relive the details but through the years, even if I forgot, my mind remembered. One year I said to a friend " this pms is really bad this year!" she said "um what month is it?" I had felt the fog roll in without realizing why. Hugs, you have less cancer this year then last!
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    not me
    I have not had that kind of experience. My brain does not hold details very well, and even less since chemo. However, my husband does remember things like that. For example, if we are watching a movie that has some scenery from a place we have visited on vacation, he will say, "do you remember when we were there and we spoke to that couple...then we had Subway for lunch and our daughter was 10 and she ate lime potato chips..." All I can remember is that I have been there and we had fun. I do remember that I had surgery, and I was in the hospital, then I went home and got better, but I have no idea what the various steps were in the preparation, much less what time each thing happened. My husband could probably tell you. He could probably tell you how many people were in the waiting room with him and what their favorite sports teams were too.

It's fascinating to hear the variety of experiences we all have. seof
  • Mariannemm
    Mariannemm Member Posts: 136
    Not a year yet
    My year for my diagnois was in Nov. and that was a hard day for me. I was very teary! Dec. 31th this year it will be a year since a had a double mastectomy. I am sure I will be the same way as you, I will think about every detail throughout the day.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Not a year yet
    My year for my diagnois was in Nov. and that was a hard day for me. I was very teary! Dec. 31th this year it will be a year since a had a double mastectomy. I am sure I will be the same way as you, I will think about every detail throughout the day.

Yes, I understand what your
    Yes, I understand what your talking about. I think it's normal. How could we forget the day. There is the day we were DX, then came the day of surgery, the 1st day of treatments, the last day of treatments. The one year mark and so on. Dancing with NED is the best day, by far.Hugs
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Not a year yet

I think all of us will agree
    I think all of us will agree that this will happen to us at that one year anniversary. The details are engraved in my mind unfortunately.

But, just look at how far you have come and are now dancing with NED.

Sending hugs,

Leeza
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Mastectomy one year ago today.
    I have been emotional today. My husband sent me an email about what this day means and he was referring to Pearl Harbor Day. I had to remind him that it was also the day I had my right breast removed. I got even more emotional when I heard about Elizabeth Edwards losing her battle.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    only date I remember is:
    Ionly remember the last day of treatments...I had to look up when dx and surgery (when filling out medical papers)

I just know it will be 3 yrs in Jan...since it all started...

perhaps delay PTS..kind of like flash backs or reliving...even if just today...
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

only date I remember is:
    Ionly remember the last day of treatments...I had to look up when dx and surgery (when filling out medical papers)

I just know it will be 3 yrs in Jan...since it all started...

perhaps delay PTS..kind of like flash backs or reliving...even if just today...

Yep ... my 1 year anniversary .. bil lateral is coming up
    soon .. about a month away ... bee sting into my old nipples ... Yes, I remember it all as tho it was 2 weeks ago. Funny how our bodies and mind, remind us of the pain and anquish.

You are here, your are alive and your are living! Just like me. Hap Hap Happy dancing for us all ..

Stength and Courage

Vicki Sam
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    anniversary reaction
    This is referred to as an anniversary reaction. Often we "remember" traumatic events in this way. Just need to acknowledge the past: loss, pain and suffering, stay in the moment ( We are now cancer free) and find something to make ourselves feel better (ex: lunch or dinner with friends, a movie, fun with the family or helping others).
    My one year anniversary comes early in the New Year. I don't plan to commemorate it however I will probably become "aware of it" as the day arrives. I have done this with anniversary dates of my best friend's death and those of my parents.
    Hang in there and enjoy life in the moment.
    Hugs, K