Need some insight

kellyh33
kellyh33 Member Posts: 287
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
So Mom went to have her 7th treatment today and my sister tagged along for the first time.
Mom is going for a second opinion on Wednesday so the oncologist did not do the chemo incase the other oncologist wants to do something else. Otherwise chemo will go forward next week.
Here is what we learned:
1) Mom's tumour has not shrunk. It is still about 9 cm in length and is spread around throughout her abdomin. It is likely getting it's blood supply from somewhere.

2) The Dr feels that surgery would not change anything. Generally, research has shown that surgery after 6 cycles of chemo does not change the outcome.

3) Despite it not changing things...if mom wants surgery, The Dr is willing to do it, as I'm sure the other oncologist would too. She feels it's too early, though and shouldn't happen until at least Feb. At that time, they would re-assess everything again with another CT scan to see if it has shrunk.

4) There is a research trial that mom would be a good candidate for at Juravinski. She could continue on with her current chemo - taxol (finish off the rest of the cycles) and also do this one (it would not interfere with the chemo she is on now. The chemo is called Caelyx and the dr's are very excited about the possibilities of it.

Does anyone have any experience of knowledge of this drug?
I am feeling so damn depressed right now......

Comments

• What can I say , I am not an
    What can I say , I am not an expert, but surely if they can operate and remove as much as possible it has to be better than letting it grow?I also think your mum shouldn't wait either, get in there quick don't give it a chance to grow anymore, again it is best to speak to your oncologist, common sense would say do the above but cancer is a funny thing and has no logic, where is Carlene when you need her?
    I would wait for the second opinion and see what they say , try and stay positive , I know it is really difficult at times.but your mum needs you to keep her spirits up xxxx
  • What can I say , I am not an
    What can I say , I am not an expert, but surely if they can operate and remove as much as possible it has to be better than letting it grow?I also think your mum shouldn't wait either, get in there quick don't give it a chance to grow anymore, again it is best to speak to your oncologist, common sense would say do the above but cancer is a funny thing and has no logic, where is Carlene when you need her?
    I would wait for the second opinion and see what they say , try and stay positive , I know it is really difficult at times.but your mum needs you to keep her spirits up xxxx
  • kellyh33
    kellyh33 Member Posts: 287

What can I say , I am not an

Surgery
    Thank you for your reply. Mom did have surgery September 3rd but they were unable to remove her tumour due to it's location, it has attached itself to her blood supply :(
    Trying to stay postive but the closer the holidays come the more glum I feel.
  • Barbara53
    Barbara53 Member Posts: 652
    kellyh33 said:

Surgery
    Thank you for your reply. Mom did have surgery September 3rd but they were unable to remove her tumour due to it's location, it has attached itself to her blood supply :(
    Trying to stay postive but the closer the holidays come the more glum I feel.

strange holidays
    My elderly mother has been fighting this disease for two years, and she's starting to lose ground fast just in time for the holidays. She has inoperable mets in her chest and the chemo seems to have stopped working. Glum is a very good word.