pain where the scar is...normal?

cwillnow
cwillnow Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all...I was dx with IDC on July 2nd and had lumpectomy surgery on July 27th. (6mm, sentinal node clear, clear margins, grade 1, stage 1A). Had 23 whole breast radiation treatments and 10 boosters. Finished that on November 15th. I'm now on tamoxifen for 5 years. My skin burned at the booster site and is pretty much healed, but I still feel slight pain and tenderness near the scar. Keep thinking is the pain from the burn, scar tissue or maybe.....don't even want to think about the 3rd!! Just wondering if this is normal or am I thinking about this way too much? I've been nervous since this all ended a few weeks ago and don't have a mammo until February. Thanks..

Carol

Comments

• Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Call your doctor
    Don't wait. Call your radiation oncologist and surgeon. Tell them both what you are feeling. Never assume. Do not make yourself nervous by guessing. Let us know what you find out.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • hopefulwhumor
    hopefulwhumor Member Posts: 45
    I finished my rads Oct 21st,
    I finished my rads Oct 21st, but I had the mammosite type, only did 10, and have done two rounds of four T/C. But I still have much pain, and an open sore... my Onc said this is just radiation recall. My skin is peeling around the site just like a BAD sunburn. If you're concerned, call your Dr. they will probably want to take a peek at things, just to make sure. Sometimes I don't think they tell you things unless you ask the question, and we don't know the questions to ask until something comes up. Will send GOOD thoughts your way,

Blessings,
    Kristi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member

Call your doctor
    Don't wait. Call your radiation oncologist and surgeon. Tell them both what you are feeling. Never assume. Do not make yourself nervous by guessing. Let us know what you find out.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

I agree with Janelle....
    It's never a bother for them....

I used to start all of my conversations (always used the phone for this, during regular office hours, since it wasn't an emergency) with 'It is probably just canceritis but....'

Hugs, Kathi
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Call your doctor

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

Call your rads oncologist!

Call your rads oncologist!
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Hey Carol
    Our stories sound similiar. I was dx on Jan 29th with IDC stage 1 grade 1. Had lumpectomy Mar.22nd, finished chemo on July 2nd, 30 rads on Sept 7th. I have been having a little soreness really more than pain around the incision site. I saw my Onc on 11-22 and everything was fine,he told me it was normal and was just the nerves.I burned during rads too not just terrible but enough. My skin is still kind of leathery feeling. I do not have a mammo till the first of March. I would go ahead and check with Onc so you will feel better about it. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member

Hey Carol
    Our stories sound similiar. I was dx on Jan 29th with IDC stage 1 grade 1. Had lumpectomy Mar.22nd, finished chemo on July 2nd, 30 rads on Sept 7th. I have been having a little soreness really more than pain around the incision site. I saw my Onc on 11-22 and everything was fine,he told me it was normal and was just the nerves.I burned during rads too not just terrible but enough. My skin is still kind of leathery feeling. I do not have a mammo till the first of March. I would go ahead and check with Onc so you will feel better about it. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

I was told to give it one year
    from stopping each treatment. I had lumpectomy June 2009 and my scar and ribs are still sore. I finished rads Jan. of 2010 so I still have time to go. Now I'm waiting for the side effects of herceptin to stop. Like Janice my rad. oncol. said the nerves have to regrow together so when they "fire" it hurts. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

I finished my rads Oct 21st,
    I finished my rads Oct 21st, but I had the mammosite type, only did 10, and have done two rounds of four T/C. But I still have much pain, and an open sore... my Onc said this is just radiation recall. My skin is peeling around the site just like a BAD sunburn. If you're concerned, call your Dr. they will probably want to take a peek at things, just to make sure. Sometimes I don't think they tell you things unless you ask the question, and we don't know the questions to ask until something comes up. Will send GOOD thoughts your way,

Blessings,
    Kristi

Yes, contact your doctors
    Yes, contact your doctors and please post what you find out.

Hugs, Angie
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I agree
    I agree with all of the other posts. I think the pain is probably a normal part of the healing process. I am 2 years post original mastectomy and nearly one year past reconstruction. I still have occasional twinges, tingles, itchiness, etc. but Drs. have repeatedly told me it's normal. Furthermore, I have spoken to people who have had other types of major surgery who experience similar sensations. However, I do think it is always a good idea to talk to your Dr. about any concerns, if only to be reassured that you are OK. (and to know what to do if there is a problem).

Take care of yourself. seof
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Don't worry - but call
    I was at my doctor's this morning for a follow-up, and we discussed that my scar area (mostly for the lymph node dissection, not so much for the lumpectomy) was still tender. She said that this was still very normal, and my surgery was just over a year ago.

So, I wouldn't lose sleep over this, but I would call to speak to your doctor just to make sure it's normal for your situation.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • cwillnow
    cwillnow Member Posts: 12
    saw the doc...thanks all
    Hi All..thanks so much for the comments. I was planning on calling my rad. onc. on Friday morning but she beat me to it. She called me at noon on Friday to see how I was doing and when I mentioned my slight pain and nervousness, she had me in her office at 2 p.m. All is ok and normal. I told her about the canceritis Kathi and she told me anytime I have fears, just call and someone will see me or talk to me. Thank you all...I feel better!

Hugs,

Carol
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    cwillnow said:

saw the doc...thanks all
    Hi All..thanks so much for the comments. I was planning on calling my rad. onc. on Friday morning but she beat me to it. She called me at noon on Friday to see how I was doing and when I mentioned my slight pain and nervousness, she had me in her office at 2 p.m. All is ok and normal. I told her about the canceritis Kathi and she told me anytime I have fears, just call and someone will see me or talk to me. Thank you all...I feel better!

Hugs,

Carol

Glad you got in to see your
    Glad you got in to see your doctor! And, super happy that it is ok and normal.

Always call your doctor whenever you have any symptom, fear or doubt about anything.

Hugs, Megan
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Don't worry - but call
    I was at my doctor's this morning for a follow-up, and we discussed that my scar area (mostly for the lymph node dissection, not so much for the lumpectomy) was still tender. She said that this was still very normal, and my surgery was just over a year ago.

So, I wouldn't lose sleep over this, but I would call to speak to your doctor just to make sure it's normal for your situation.

Take care,
    Cindy

Great that you saw your
    Great that you saw your doctor and great that it is normal!

Hugs, Jan