Onco switched me back to Tamoxifen

pattimc
pattimc Member Posts: 431
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
OK, I was having major side effects (well, at least I thought they were major!) and made an appointment to see my onco. SE's were: headaches (I never get headaches!!), bone pain, and general pain everywhere, worse hotflashes, fatigue etc.

So he walks in and says, "So what's going on?" I said "I hate Arimedex." He then proceeds to tell me what my probable side effects were and they matched my laundry list of SE's that I had with me. Since I tolerated Tamoxifen pretty well he switched me back. He brought up the "quality of life" thing....he really GETS it! He said by going back on Tamoxifen I'm only giving up 1% chance of no recurrence; I'm already around 98% chance it won't come back so I'm willing to give up that extra 1% for feeling better.

So, I guess what I'm saying is there is no reason to suffer. If Arimedex is not working for you, go back to your onco and ask if there is something else you can take.

My best to all of you!

Patti

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    why did the Dr take you off
    why did the Dr take you off Tamoxfin to start with? (now back on it) I am on it now for just over year + and really no side effects..very lucky i know..(same with my radiation)IF anything it helped my ulcertive colitis-since on Tamx. total remission after 18 yrs..
    I hope you feel better once back on it..good luck...
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431

why did the Dr take you off Tamoxfin to start with? (now back on it) I am on it now for just over year + and really no side effects..very lucky i know..(same with my radiation)IF anything it helped my ulcertive colitis-since on Tamx. total remission after 18 yrs..

Because
    Once you are in full menopause AI drugs (Femara, Arimidex and others) provide a little bit better protection than Tamoxifen. Tamoxifen = pre-menopausal; AI drugs = post-menopausal. When I began the journey I was "pre" now I'm "post".
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    pattimc said:

Because
    Once you are in full menopause AI drugs (Femara, Arimidex and others) provide a little bit better protection than Tamoxifen. Tamoxifen = pre-menopausal; AI drugs = post-menopausal. When I began the journey I was "pre" now I'm "post".

I was surgically 'post'.....
    Still went on Tamoxifen instead....

My onc and I talked about it, and since I already was full-on osteoporotic from the treatment, and my cholesterol has been elevated all of my life (the top 2 side effects of the AI's), that the 1% difference was not worth it...

AND the top danger with Tamoxifen is uterine cancer...and I had a total hysterectomy with my bowel resection...

I DO agree, finding the right 'after breast cancer' treatment, with the least amount of side effects, is the best...reduce the chances of reoccurance as much as you can, with the least amount of effect to your lifestyle!!! Smart onc you have!

Hugs, Kathi
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    pattimc said:

Because

I have been taking tamoxfin for over 1 1/2 yrs menopause about 2 yrs ago..

interesting....! tx
  • Jean T. Szabo
    Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
    Side Effects
    Thank you for posting this. Good to know that there are options with these drugs. Not done with chemo yet. Have to have 33 rads. Onc. did mention Aromataise as the medication to be on after that. Wonder what will transpire before then. Getting a lot of information before saying yes to any drug.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

I am glad your doctor
    I am glad your doctor switched you back to tamox. Good luck!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Side Effects
    Thank you for posting this. Good to know that there are options with these drugs. Not done with chemo yet. Have to have 33 rads. Onc. did mention Aromataise as the medication to be on after that. Wonder what will transpire before then. Getting a lot of information before saying yes to any drug.

How are rads going Jean?
    How are rads going Jean?