Breast Cancer diagnosis - 3 years after Endometrial Cancer

lmr001
lmr001 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Is there anyone else out there with 2 different cancers?
I was diagnosed with endometrial Cancer in March of 97... stage 1B
Complete hysterectomy and radiation. Almost exactly 3 years later I noticed a lump and was diagnosed stage 2B breast cancer in March of 2010. 2 mm, 1/10 nodes, her2+, grade 3.
Because I had cancer before... I decided on a double mastectomy, chemo and radiation. I going through the reconstruction phase right now.

I was just getting to the point that I thought I had survived the endometrial cancer... now I have breast cancer. I wonder what cancer is next in my future.

Comments

• gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Hoping that is the last of
    Hoping that is the last of it for you. You have had enough. But... only God knows what the future holds. Trust in him. I was afraid at first but now when I go to church or pray I feel a peaceful feeling around me. I am not one to preach religon but it does bring me peace. I wish that for you. I had stage 1 breast cancer and chose lumpectomy over mast. The radiation is making me so sick. Had last treatment on Monday but was sick 2 weeks before. I mean really sick to the point I can't get up from the chair or bed at times. Doctors said radiation was easier than chemo but I don't know about that.

I pray you are finished with the cancer.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Yep, this is the club no one
    Yep, this is the club no one wants to join. But you are welcome here. You'll find this a great place to come for support, encouragement, and compassion. Please keep coming back, you'll get help with any questions and concerns you might have.

It sounds like you are fighting this beast with everything you've got. You go girl! And hopefully, this will be the LAST time you have to deal with it.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

Yep, this is the club no one wants to join. But you are welcome here. You'll find this a great place to come for support, encouragement, and compassion. Please keep coming back, you'll get help with any questions and concerns you might have.

It sounds like you are fighting this beast with everything you've got. You go girl! And hopefully, this will be the LAST time you have to deal with it.

Hugs,

Linda

Me too
    Sorry I missed your post before it got to page 2. This will bump it up to the top. I think there are more of us and this is all too common - at least on this board, the uterine cancer board, and the Hystersisters forum. There seem to be a lot of women who have had both.

I was diagnosed with both at the same time - end of April of this year. My endo cancer was treated with hysterectomy and BSO and did not need adjunctive treatments. I do have 4-month follow ups, pelvic exams, and "pap"(vaginal vault)smears. I had my first one of those last week and will be on pins and needles until I get the results of the smear. I'm still receiving treatments for the breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy, chemotherapy, and am now about in the middle of radiation. It's been a very long year and having both at the same time has been a little overwhelming.

I have received mixed answers about the relationship of the two from the various folks (oncologists and my primary care physician) I see. The most consistent answer I get is that the risk factors are about the same for both and I had risk factors for both. One of those risk factors for which I have no control over is being a postmenopausal woman. The only physician who acknowledged that it is not uncommon for women to develop both cancers over the course of her lifetime was a gyn oncology fellow. It is known that taking Tamoxifen for breast cancer can increase the risk of developing uterine cancer, but you had uterine cancer first. I do know that my breast cancer is estrogen receptor positive and it is assumed that the endometrial cancer was, too, because, according to my medical oncologist, "we know that the lining of the uterus is responsive to estrogen". I keep asking these questions and I will keep asking them. I don't know if there is any actual data on this, but that will be one of my questions when I next see someone (I see the radiation oncologist Monday and breast surgeon Thursday, maybe I can remember!). It makes me wonder where else cells are going nuts in my body and I'm sort of glad my ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus and cervix are gone so I can't develop ovarian cancer down the road.

Good luck with your breast cancer treatments and please post any information you may have about the "relationship" of these two cancers.

Suzanne
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Hugs,

Linda

Sending prayers and
    Sending prayers and hugs!

Leeza
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member

Me too
    Sorry I missed your post before it got to page 2. This will bump it up to the top. I think there are more of us and this is all too common - at least on this board, the uterine cancer board, and the Hystersisters forum. There seem to be a lot of women who have had both.

I was diagnosed with both at the same time - end of April of this year. My endo cancer was treated with hysterectomy and BSO and did not need adjunctive treatments. I do have 4-month follow ups, pelvic exams, and "pap"(vaginal vault)smears. I had my first one of those last week and will be on pins and needles until I get the results of the smear. I'm still receiving treatments for the breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy, chemotherapy, and am now about in the middle of radiation. It's been a very long year and having both at the same time has been a little overwhelming.

I have received mixed answers about the relationship of the two from the various folks (oncologists and my primary care physician) I see. The most consistent answer I get is that the risk factors are about the same for both and I had risk factors for both. One of those risk factors for which I have no control over is being a postmenopausal woman. The only physician who acknowledged that it is not uncommon for women to develop both cancers over the course of her lifetime was a gyn oncology fellow. It is known that taking Tamoxifen for breast cancer can increase the risk of developing uterine cancer, but you had uterine cancer first. I do know that my breast cancer is estrogen receptor positive and it is assumed that the endometrial cancer was, too, because, according to my medical oncologist, "we know that the lining of the uterus is responsive to estrogen". I keep asking these questions and I will keep asking them. I don't know if there is any actual data on this, but that will be one of my questions when I next see someone (I see the radiation oncologist Monday and breast surgeon Thursday, maybe I can remember!). It makes me wonder where else cells are going nuts in my body and I'm sort of glad my ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus and cervix are gone so I can't develop ovarian cancer down the road.

Good luck with your breast cancer treatments and please post any information you may have about the "relationship" of these two cancers.

Suzanne

IMR sending prayers your
    IMR sending prayers your way. Suzanne, first of all, your picture is stunning! Very beautiful! You are a warrior going through both cancers at once. I haven't seen you on this board before, but hope you join in again because I enjoyed reading your post.
    Hugs to you both,
    Wanda
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    sorry to hear
    I'll be thinking of you..
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Welcome and Hello.
    I sure

Welcome and Hello.
    I sure hope this is it for you and there is no more cancer in your future. I admire your strength. I had ovarian cancer back in 1990. Had a hysterectomy at that time. I was lucky and didn't need any other treatment. One good thing was I went through menopause then and didn't have to deal with that this time and go through chemo at the same time. I feel so bad for all the ladies that have to go through both at the same time. I had a right side mastectomy ( modified radical ) On Nov 1st this year. My Dr told me there was a very slight chance ( less then 1% ) that it would come back in the other breast. I'm not having reconstruction. I hope you are feeling good. We are all here for you what ever and when ever you need us just holler Ok. Take care Darlin Kay,
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Welcome and Hello.
    I sure

Welcome and Hello.
    I sure hope this is it for you and there is no more cancer in your future. I admire your strength. I had ovarian cancer back in 1990. Had a hysterectomy at that time. I was lucky and didn't need any other treatment. One good thing was I went through menopause then and didn't have to deal with that this time and go through chemo at the same time. I feel so bad for all the ladies that have to go through both at the same time. I had a right side mastectomy ( modified radical ) On Nov 1st this year. My Dr told me there was a very slight chance ( less then 1% ) that it would come back in the other breast. I'm not having reconstruction. I hope you are feeling good. We are all here for you what ever and when ever you need us just holler Ok. Take care Darlin Kay,

Hi! I am so sorry that you
    Hi! I am so sorry that you have cancer again and am sending you prayers and hugs.

Please don't think of what MAY be in your future inre to cancer. Just concentrate on fighting this now and fighting hard.

You have a great life ahead of you, and, think cancer free!

Hugs, Debby
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Hugs,

Linda

Keep fighting as hard as you
    Keep fighting as hard as you can! You have sisters here to help you through it however we can.

Hugs, Megan
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Hugs,

Linda

I've only had bc, and,
    I've only had bc, and, praying that it never happens to me again. I wish it wouldn't happen to anyone ever at all. A cure has to be found one of these days.

Please know that I am sending you prayers and please come here if you need some support.

Sue :)
  • lmr001
    lmr001 Member Posts: 5

Me too

Suzanne

Breast Cancer 3 years after Endometrial Cancer
    Thanks for your reply.
    I am in my 40's... and was not pre-menopausal at the time of the endometrial cancer.
    I had the radical hysterectomy so that I would not have to worry about ovarian cancer down the road too. I just didn't think I would have to worry about breast cancer.
    I'll check the other boards you mentioned.

I just had another round of checkups... pelvic exam, smears, etc... just before thanksgiving. I haven't heard anything back yet. My next Pet Scan is not until January. I'm really worried about the breast cancer spreading. Several websites indicate that my type of breast cancer has a "poor prognosis". It is a little difficult to go through all of this when you hear that.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    lmr001 said:

Breast Cancer 3 years after Endometrial Cancer
    Thanks for your reply.
    I am in my 40's... and was not pre-menopausal at the time of the endometrial cancer.
    I had the radical hysterectomy so that I would not have to worry about ovarian cancer down the road too. I just didn't think I would have to worry about breast cancer.
    I'll check the other boards you mentioned.

I just had another round of checkups... pelvic exam, smears, etc... just before thanksgiving. I haven't heard anything back yet. My next Pet Scan is not until January. I'm really worried about the breast cancer spreading. Several websites indicate that my type of breast cancer has a "poor prognosis". It is a little difficult to go through all of this when you hear that.

Let us know the results of
    Let us know the results of your test Imr001. Sending you prayers and hugs!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

Me too

Suzanne

Sending strength and prayers
    Sending strength and prayers to you.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Hugs,

Linda

Hoping and praying you get
    Hoping and praying you get good news on your tests. And, wishing you good luck with your scan in January!

Big hugs, Megan
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I got into the line twice before I thought....
    STOP getting into LINES you know NOTHING about!!! (ROFLMAO!!!!)

I started with stage III rectal. A PET scan to see how far it had spread (for a while, they thought it was throughout my abdomen...) 'lit up' an old lump in my left breast I had been having mammo's yearly for...BINGO! Stage II Invasive Ductal breast cancer...and in the lymph system...

BUT now, I'm 6 years since my first dx, and going on 4 years since any treatment for cancer (last treatment was rads for the breast cancer), and I am NED....so....

Chin up my dear! And welcome to the sisterhood!!!

Hugs, Kathi