Scared?

withabby52
withabby52 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Do you ever stop being scared? I am in my second year as a bc survivor and still feel scared about what might be going on in my body. It frightens me to read about people who have had reoccurences or multiple cancers, as if the very act of reading the words will somehow make it happen to me. Do you ever stop?

Comments

• sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Being told you have Cancer
    is traumatizing. It's one of the worst fears anyone can experience. New pains or symptoms or just having to wait for tests can dredge up those fearful feelings all over again.

I feel those fears coming on at times but I don't want to let them start to rob me of my joy, because it can if you let it.

What helps me is holding on to God's truth. I cling to it like a baby, especially during those times of vulnerability. His truth gives me peace...just like He promised.

One I think about when I feel I can't sleep is "I will lie down in peace and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe." I just meditate on those words and before I know it, I'm at peace and can sleep.

Your fear will subside friend. Just focus on how you came OUT of it and how you don't want it to rob your future.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    sea60 said:

Being told you have Cancer
    is traumatizing. It's one of the worst fears anyone can experience. New pains or symptoms or just having to wait for tests can dredge up those fearful feelings all over again.

I feel those fears coming on at times but I don't want to let them start to rob me of my joy, because it can if you let it.

What helps me is holding on to God's truth. I cling to it like a baby, especially during those times of vulnerability. His truth gives me peace...just like He promised.

One I think about when I feel I can't sleep is "I will lie down in peace and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe." I just meditate on those words and before I know it, I'm at peace and can sleep.

Your fear will subside friend. Just focus on how you came OUT of it and how you don't want it to rob your future.

Hugs,

Sylvia

I don't trust my body like I used to.
    Until my diagnosis, I thought I was healthy. I felt healthy, loved my work and had a pretty good life. How could this have been growing in my body without any obvious symptoms? Why would my body try to destroy itself? Very scarey stuff!

I don't let myself focus on the "what ifs" because they will take away the "what is". I am committed to enjoying my life today and dealing with what may happen when it happens. It isn't always easy but I've become very good at distracting myself. BC survivors know what most people don't want to think about. All human beings will die someday so don't waste a day of it.

Roseann
  • hopefulwhumor
    hopefulwhumor Member Posts: 45
    roseann4 said:

I don't trust my body like I used to.
    Until my diagnosis, I thought I was healthy. I felt healthy, loved my work and had a pretty good life. How could this have been growing in my body without any obvious symptoms? Why would my body try to destroy itself? Very scarey stuff!

I don't let myself focus on the "what ifs" because they will take away the "what is". I am committed to enjoying my life today and dealing with what may happen when it happens. It isn't always easy but I've become very good at distracting myself. BC survivors know what most people don't want to think about. All human beings will die someday so don't waste a day of it.

Roseann

Fear can rob you-
    I agree with Roseann and Sea60, the fear WE all have at times can rob you of the "now". It can be difficult to get past the fear, but if you don't, it takes over your whole life. Please don't let it. My Dad is my inspriration though this. He has had four "fights" with cancer over the past coming up on 12 years, and still managed to build my kicthen cabitnets a couple years ago. I see him and know that I can make it though this and be a stronger person. Someone sent me this on email the other day, and I wrote it down and have it on the frig.....
    Happy Moments- PRAISE GOD
    Difficult Moments - SEEK GOD
    Quiet Moments- WORSHIP GOD
    Painful Moments- TRUST GOD
    Every Moment- THANK GOD
    Don't know if this will help you, but did me, Keeping you in my thoughts and PRAYERS,

Big Hugs
    Kristi
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I think the only time I was
    I think the only time I was scared was when I was told I had cancer. My first thought was I'm going to die. But I didn't. Now it just makes me angry from time to time. I'm not scared anymore. I am not going to let this caner steel any more from me and certainly not the rest of my life. It has taken all it is going to get. Before you had cancer what was your reaction to little pains and things. You rub it and go on. So Rub it and go on. Please don't let cancer consume you. Don't let it control you life. Your in control.
    Take care darlin Kay
  • withabby52

Fear can rob you-
    I agree with Roseann and Sea60, the fear WE all have at times can rob you of the "now". It can be difficult to get past the fear, but if you don't, it takes over your whole life. Please don't let it. My Dad is my inspriration though this. He has had four "fights" with cancer over the past coming up on 12 years, and still managed to build my kicthen cabitnets a couple years ago. I see him and know that I can make it though this and be a stronger person. Someone sent me this on email the other day, and I wrote it down and have it on the frig.....
    Happy Moments- PRAISE GOD
    Difficult Moments - SEEK GOD
    Quiet Moments- WORSHIP GOD
    Painful Moments- TRUST GOD
    Every Moment- THANK GOD
    Don't know if this will help you, but did me, Keeping you in my thoughts and PRAYERS,

Big Hugs
    Kristi

Thanks all
    Thanks for all of the supportive advice. I do not want this to rule my life. I am the first one to tell everyone else that everyday you choose whether to live your life positively or not. It just somehow seems hard some days for me to take my own advice. I am trying, And, yea for me..I celebrated another birthday Friday...
  • withabby52

I think the only time I was
    I think the only time I was scared was when I was told I had cancer. My first thought was I'm going to die. But I didn't. Now it just makes me angry from time to time. I'm not scared anymore. I am not going to let this caner steel any more from me and certainly not the rest of my life. It has taken all it is going to get. Before you had cancer what was your reaction to little pains and things. You rub it and go on. So Rub it and go on. Please don't let cancer consume you. Don't let it control you life. Your in control.
    Take care darlin Kay

Before cancer
    Yes, before cancer I did just that. I was generally healthy and little aches and pains did not get me down. 6 years before cancer, I had a brain aneurysm and while, I was in the hospital recovering, my mom passed away at another hospital from gall bladder cancer, the last of 4 cancers she had in her lifetime. That was the worst I went through and managed to get over the fear from that time...so I guess I have proved I can rub it and go on. Thanks for helping me think that through.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Time does help...
    Am now 7+ years out from diagnosis. The fears have lessened with time. Although, I admit, some days are worse than others.

What's most important, I think, is to not let the fears control your life - as Kay wrote. I am grateful for each day.

Kind regards, Susan
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I think I am Odd lady out
    But I truely do not worry at all..I am just happy where I am today. (Jan will be 2 yrs since I was told about BC) March surgery, JUNE 28th 2008 ...i go every 3 mths to oncologist and many many mammos like all of us..and I never worry when I go! I am sorry you are scared..I know many are-with good reason! But I have figured out worrying doesn't change the outcome-so I just try to stay in the moment-if that makes sense! Until I came to this site...recently...I NEVER even thought of myself as a survivor..I just say I had cancer couple years ago..

I wish you luck...try to no fear the unknown...if you can..I KNOW so so hard...while going through it all I had my ups and downs of course...

I"ll be thinking of you
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

I think I am Odd lady out
    But I truely do not worry at all..I am just happy where I am today. (Jan will be 2 yrs since I was told about BC) March surgery, JUNE 28th 2008 ...i go every 3 mths to oncologist and many many mammos like all of us..and I never worry when I go! I am sorry you are scared..I know many are-with good reason! But I have figured out worrying doesn't change the outcome-so I just try to stay in the moment-if that makes sense! Until I came to this site...recently...I NEVER even thought of myself as a survivor..I just say I had cancer couple years ago..

I wish you luck...try to no fear the unknown...if you can..I KNOW so so hard...while going through it all I had my ups and downs of course...

I"ll be thinking of you

before it was just a statistic to me
    I knew that 10% people will get cancer if they live until 70 years of age. I never thought that it could be me. Now I know the truth everyone is susceptible at any age, life style, sex, it is avery sneaky disease, sometimes is is too late. So what? I guess we are mature and have more wisdom now, cancer experience have change us and I personally appreciate very day and minute
    Hugs,
    New Flower