Our "adopted" sons for the day!

sea60
sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hope everyone had a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving!

Our family hosted two young servicemen that were finishing up basic training from Lackland Air Force Base to enjoy Thanksgiving with us. I posted pictures.

It has to be so hard being away from family. Despite that, they enjoyed themselves very much!

Oh...and I had to post a pic of my grandson ;D

Comments

• webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Cool!!
    What a wonderfull thing to do, what blessings must have been received! Hugs...alison
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I love that you did that!
    I love that you did that! When I was in my late teens and early 20's I was a USO volunteer in Germany...I went to lots of dances, military hosted gatherings, and had dozens of GI's over to dinner with my family. Good memories! I am sure a lot of it was because my dad remembered what it was like when he was in the military in WW11, and thousands of miles from home.
    Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    chenheart said:

I love that you did that!
    I love that you did that! When I was in my late teens and early 20's I was a USO volunteer in Germany...I went to lots of dances, military hosted gatherings, and had dozens of GI's over to dinner with my family. Good memories! I am sure a lot of it was because my dad remembered what it was like when he was in the military in WW11, and thousands of miles from home.
    Hugs,
    Chen♥

What a great looking family!
    What a great looking family! Looks like a family full of love and happy times.

So happy that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

And, so kind of you to have those soldiers over too.

You are a sweet, sweet person!

Hugs, Debby
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    That is wonderful!
    What you did was wonderful. You are a very special person to open your heart and your home as you did! Your grandson is adorable! Hugs, Jean
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Wonderful
    That was a wonderful thing for you and your family to do. I am sure they appreciated being with a family even though it was not theirs.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    You created memories for a lifetime
    You created memories for a lifetime, not only for the two servicemen but also for your family. I have a feeling that the young family members will be influenced by your thoughtfulness, warmth, and generosity.
    Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    family
    What a nice family you have. The servicemen look right at home. Did you call the base to ask about doing this?
    Annette
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613

family
    What a nice family you have. The servicemen look right at home. Did you call the base to ask about doing this?
    Annette

Yes Annette
    You have to call well in advance. They were from Ohio and Nebraska, so they were a long way from home.

San Antonio has Randolph and Lackland Air Force Base so there are many "hosting" families here.

One of the boys, Stephen (the dark haired boy on the left and next to me) had just lost his Mom this past October so there were times he was struggling to keep a stiff upper lip.
    I felt so bad for him.

We're just so proud of ALL our servicemen who give of themselves so selflessly. God bless them and their families!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    We always had a big family
    We always had a big family gathering on Thanksgiving so when we came down here we'd ask others that were away from home also. Never thought to call the base. Pretty cool!
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Thank you
    I would like to thank-you for your generosity to those young servicemen. As a mother of a son in active duty (Navy) I can appreciate how hard the separation from family and friends is felt by our young men and women in the armed services, particularly around the holidays.
    Hugs,K
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    An extremely thoughtful...
    And kind-hearted thing to do, for sure! Represents the true meaning of the holiday, too. To be thankful, and to share.

When I was very young - growing up in the "old neighborhood" - my parents always invited the "orphan" elderly residents, those with no family left.

Kind regards, Susan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

An extremely thoughtful...
    And kind-hearted thing to do, for sure! Represents the true meaning of the holiday, too. To be thankful, and to share.

When I was very young - growing up in the "old neighborhood" - my parents always invited the "orphan" elderly residents, those with no family left.

Kind regards, Susan

Speechless is all I can say to you D and your family
    extended and otherwise. I would LOVE to adopt a service man or women and write to them as a pen pal .. do you know anywhere where I can perhaps find out information or sign up?

Close to my heart, my Father was a Sargent in the Marine Corp for years .. In fact, my sister Kathy and I were actually borned on Camp Pendleton Marine Base Hospital. Playing it forward in a very small way.

Please let me know.

Thank you!

Vicki Sam