Wine for dinner

kjhbrteam
kjhbrteam Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Does having breast cancer mean no more wine? Is it okay to still have a glass of wine with dinner?

Comments

• canjuncutie
    canjuncutie Member Posts: 131
    all depend on what your doc says
    It up to your doc. I have one that since I was good I was allowed one day to fall off the good girl wagon. All I had was one glass of wine
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

all depend on what your doc says
    It up to your doc. I have one that since I was good I was allowed one day to fall off the good girl wagon. All I had was one glass of wine

Please check with your Oncologist .. In the majority of
    no wine - unless it's been ok'd... Always check with your doctor first.

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    In my chemo class, they said
    In my chemo class, they said 1 glass would be ok. But it should not be immediately before or after a treatment. Chemo is already very hard on your liver, and the alcohol makes it work harder. But as already said, ask your doctor. Each of us are different and on different meds.

Hugs,

Linda
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I am not about to tell
    I am not about to tell anyone what to do, but I avoid alcohol now as the studies have just piled up with bad news re alcohol and breast cancer. My physician sister warned me about this some time ago, but I only saw 1 or 2 studies implicating alcohol.

Now there are many, many, many studies now. I have Stage 4 and want to do everything I can possibly can to stay healthy.

I would now attach links for you, but my stupid computer freezes every time I try and copy and paste. What is that about?!
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003

I am not about to tell
    I am not about to tell anyone what to do, but I avoid alcohol now as the studies have just piled up with bad news re alcohol and breast cancer. My physician sister warned me about this some time ago, but I only saw 1 or 2 studies implicating alcohol.

Now there are many, many, many studies now. I have Stage 4 and want to do everything I can possibly can to stay healthy.

I would now attach links for you, but my stupid computer freezes every time I try and copy and paste. What is that about?!

My oncologist said "NO
    My oncologist said "NO ALCOHOL" at all. I am not a drinker anyway, but i do love an occational wine or Margarita, but so far I do stay away from any type of alcohol.
  • hopefulwhumor
    hopefulwhumor Member Posts: 45
    meena1 said:

My oncologist said "NO
    My oncologist said "NO ALCOHOL" at all. I am not a drinker anyway, but i do love an occational wine or Margarita, but so far I do stay away from any type of alcohol.

wine/ beer
    I'm not really a wine girl, would rather just have a cold beer. My Onco said it was fine to have one or two, if I could tolerate it, but have to say none of it tastes much good right now! Oh well, sounds like I don't need it anyway.
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    both my oncologists said no wine, beer, or alcohol of any kind
    both my oncologists said no wine, beer, or alcohol of any kind while going through chemo. fortunately for me, that was not a problem. i enjoy a glass of wine on special occasions, but have seen too many nasty drunks, so choose not to imbibe ;)
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    My Oncologist said No No No
    My Oncologist said No No No while going through chemo. Chemo and all the other meds I was on were taking their tole on my liver so she said not to add alcohol on top of it. They tested my liver every week before treatment and it held up well, which surprised me. I don't drink now but once upon a time ago I put my liver to the test.
    :)
    Kari
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    heidijez said:

both my oncologists said no wine, beer, or alcohol of any kind
    both my oncologists said no wine, beer, or alcohol of any kind while going through chemo. fortunately for me, that was not a problem. i enjoy a glass of wine on special occasions, but have seen too many nasty drunks, so choose not to imbibe ;)

My oncologist said that
    My oncologist said that drinking alcohol within reason was fine for me. But, that is just my oncologist and it is me. I do like a beer or a glass of wine, and, don't plan on giving it up.

Hugs, Debby
  • dee1962
    dee1962 Member Posts: 99

My Oncologist said No No No
    My Oncologist said No No No while going through chemo. Chemo and all the other meds I was on were taking their tole on my liver so she said not to add alcohol on top of it. They tested my liver every week before treatment and it held up well, which surprised me. I don't drink now but once upon a time ago I put my liver to the test.
    :)
    Kari

mine also said NO NO NO....

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

In my chemo class, they said
    In my chemo class, they said 1 glass would be ok. But it should not be immediately before or after a treatment. Chemo is already very hard on your liver, and the alcohol makes it work harder. But as already said, ask your doctor. Each of us are different and on different meds.

Hugs,

Linda

I didn't have chemo, so, I
    I didn't have chemo, so, I don't know if that makes a difference. I have an occasional glass of wine or two. I enjoy it and if I gave up everything that is suppose to cause cancer, I would live in a bubble.

Do what your own doctor says and what you feel is right for you.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    dee1962 said:

I am struggling with this issue
    I'm done with chemo. While I was in treatment, my oncologist said a glass or two of wine occasionally was okay. However, I really didn't have the taste for it. Now that I'm done, I do enjoy my wine. However, with everything I'm reading recently about alcohol causing an increase in estrogen, I'm worried since my cancer with highly estrogen and progesterone receptive. It makes me angry that I can't have the wine that I do enjoy from time to time--or if I do have it, I worry.

I certainly don't want to do anything that could cause a recurrence, but I want my life back. Okay, now I'm whining (wining!).

Hugs, Renee
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    dee1962 said:

My oncologist said it was up
    My oncologist said it was up to me. But, that he didn't recommend drinking for anyone..period! I do drink a little and plan on continuing.

Hugs, Diane