Menstruation and Chemo

chriskaput
chriskaput Member Posts: 109
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I turned 40 this past August while I was on chemo. I finished chemo in early Oct. I was wondering have any of you pre-menopausal women gotten your period back after chemo finished or should I assume it's not coming back! I don't know whether to be excited or not! LOL
thanks

Chris.

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Aunt Flo still visits every month
    Hi, Chris -

I was 40 when I did chemo last year. By about 3-4 months after finishing chemo, my periods went back to being normal and regular like the sun.

I started Tamoxifen right after finishing chemo, and have been on it for over a year now -- even Tamoxifen hasn't deterred Aunt Flo from her regular monthly visits in my case, though I know that's different for some women.

My oncologist told me that whether or not your period returns after chemo depends a lot on how close you are to normal menopause. The younger you are, the more likely that Aunt Flo will come a'knockin' again!

Traci
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Aunt Flo still visits every month
    Hi, Chris -

I was 40 when I did chemo last year. By about 3-4 months after finishing chemo, my periods went back to being normal and regular like the sun.

I started Tamoxifen right after finishing chemo, and have been on it for over a year now -- even Tamoxifen hasn't deterred Aunt Flo from her regular monthly visits in my case, though I know that's different for some women.

My oncologist told me that whether or not your period returns after chemo depends a lot on how close you are to normal menopause. The younger you are, the more likely that Aunt Flo will come a'knockin' again!

Traci

When i was 34 I got it back
    When i was 34 I got it back during chemo. when I was 49 I did not. got it really bad during my first chemo then never again. dx's premenopausal both times.
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234
    period
    I am 46....My period stopped after my second chemo in May and still not back..Started tamoxifen in July... Doctor still is saying it will return..But I am not missing it.....
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Stopped in its Tracks
    No... mine never came back, thanks to chemo. My oncologist had said they would induce for menopause. True to his word, it never came back after my first infusion. I am 45 years old and am on Tamoxifen.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Can't give you any ideas - I
    Can't give you any ideas - I was 44 1/2 when I went through natural menopause in late 1990/early 1991.

Susan
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    I think it is different for
    I think it is different for everyone. I was 42 and it stopped after my second chemo infusion. I am 47 now and according to my bloodwork am still not menopausal. My onc says its the tamoxifen that is preventing my period from returning. I started taking it only a couple weeks after chemo was done. My estrogen levels are not only premenopausal, but even a bit high. Who knows......
  • beetle25
    beetle25 Member Posts: 150 Member
    Eil4186 said:

I think it is different for
    I think it is different for everyone. I was 42 and it stopped after my second chemo infusion. I am 47 now and according to my bloodwork am still not menopausal. My onc says its the tamoxifen that is preventing my period from returning. I started taking it only a couple weeks after chemo was done. My estrogen levels are not only premenopausal, but even a bit high. Who knows......

I am 46 started chemo
    I am 46 started chemo treatments when I was 45. My period stopped after my second chemo treatment and has not returned yet. I am still premenopausal and just waiting, like you not sure how I feel yet at this point I am not missing having my period just afraid that it might show up one day very unexpectedly.