Side effects from Taxotere and Cytoxan

djm2010
djm2010 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my first of 4 chemo treatments this past Mon., 11/22. The worst side effect 'so far' is raging acne on my face and neck. I can even feel it in my hair. My facial skin is also somewhat tight, although I applied moisturizer. I called the doctor today to request a prescription and the doctor I spoke with (a resident, I think) said she has never heard of acne resulting from this chemical mix. (I was not happy.) Has anyone else had to deal with what I'm calling "chemo acne"?

Comments

• mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    taxotere
    I'm on taxotere,I had a rash behind my neck when i first started but i put hydrocortizone cream on it,my facial skin is a little tight i had a treatment yesterday i think thats natural with taxotere,i was on cytoxan in the summer along with 5fu and another i forget what it was my face really swoll on them for a couple of days. good luck sorry we had to meet like this but i learned a lot on this site with all the warriors. MollyZ
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi -
    I had 4 treatments of

Hi -
    I had 4 treatments of Andriamycin + Cytoxan, followed by 2 rounds of Taxotere. I have really sensitive skin anyway but I did break out after my first chemo treatment. I think my skin just freaked out but after that, it was surprisingly smooth & problem free.
    I did develop a rash on my hands from the Taxotere, though, and had to get steroids for it, they ended up burning really bad & most of the skin ended up peeling off the palms of my hands.
    It may be the steroids causing your acne -they are known for that. It is only temporary, even though I'm sure it stinks for you now :(
    At least you have 1 down, 3 more to go - I hope they go by quickly & smoothly for you. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving & God Bless :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    dry skin
    I had taxotere and cytoxan and my skin is very dry still. Did not have acne just dryness. If that is all the side effects you get you are doing well. Although you may get more side effects with each chemo but hopefully not to bad. I had a few side effects but nothing major to speak of.
    Keep us posted.
    Annette
  • hopefulwhumor
    hopefulwhumor Member Posts: 45

dry skin
    I had taxotere and cytoxan and my skin is very dry still. Did not have acne just dryness. If that is all the side effects you get you are doing well. Although you may get more side effects with each chemo but hopefully not to bad. I had a few side effects but nothing major to speak of.
    Keep us posted.
    Annette

Taxotere/ cytoxan
    I've had my second treatment of this mix,last Monday. I haven't had any problems, other than dry facial skin, (mine is usually very oily), but another lady at my clinic asked to be put on a different type because of the acne....she had done either three of four, and it was getting worse, so they were switching her stuff. But as I've learned from here, it seems most people are effected differently.... Skin, Hair, I really think if I hadn't shaved my head, I'd still have lots of hair, just got tired of it being in my food, and everywhere else. And so far, not much as far as sickness, but I've spoken with some that have been very sick from this same mix. Anyway, ask you Onco about it before your next treatmnet, and good luck:)
  • Exact Same Schedule as you D!
    I, too, started my TC last Monday. Did you get a Neulasta Tusday too?

I had a couple little eruptions but No serious acne. If you're drinking as much water as I am it may just be flushing out your skin??

I am experiencing "SERIOUS SINUS FACE" today. Severe pressure from my neck glands, jaw and cheeks/head. Feeling like one of the balloons in Macy's parade yesterday ha! Trying to decide whether it's the cocktail, booster shot or the claritan I've been taking for the bone pain...

Fortunately, that's all that I really have to complain about since Monday -- hope you are having as smooth of a road :)

Blessings and hugs,
    Stace
  • Exact Same Schedule as you D!
    I, too, started my TC last Monday. Did you get a Neulasta Tusday too?

I had a couple little eruptions but No serious acne. If you're drinking as much water as I am it may just be flushing out your skin??

I am experiencing "SERIOUS SINUS FACE" today. Severe pressure from my neck glands, jaw and cheeks/head. Feeling like one of the balloons in Macy's parade yesterday ha! Trying to decide whether it's the cocktail, booster shot or the claritan I've been taking for the bone pain...

Fortunately, that's all that I really have to complain about since Monday -- hope you are having as smooth of a road :)

Blessings and hugs,
    Stace
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    you can look on
    you can look on chemocare.com to see potential side effects of your meds. they list common and unusual ones. I did not have skin problems,just some discoloration and tingling under fingernails and toenails.

Just keep in mind that it's temporary. seof
  • Taxotere/ cytoxan
    I've had my second treatment of this mix,last Monday. I haven't had any problems, other than dry facial skin, (mine is usually very oily), but another lady at my clinic asked to be put on a different type because of the acne....she had done either three of four, and it was getting worse, so they were switching her stuff. But as I've learned from here, it seems most people are effected differently.... Skin, Hair, I really think if I hadn't shaved my head, I'd still have lots of hair, just got tired of it being in my food, and everywhere else. And so far, not much as far as sickness, but I've spoken with some that have been very sick from this same mix. Anyway, ask you Onco about it before your next treatmnet, and good luck:)

Dang double post - sorry sisters...
    Hopeful, keep the updates coming :) You are a week ahead of D and I and though I can't speak for her, I, for one, love to know what's ahead!

Blessings and hugs,
    Stace
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    mollyz said:

taxotere
    I'm on taxotere,I had a rash behind my neck when i first started but i put hydrocortizone cream on it,my facial skin is a little tight i had a treatment yesterday i think thats natural with taxotere,i was on cytoxan in the summer along with 5fu and another i forget what it was my face really swoll on them for a couple of days. good luck sorry we had to meet like this but i learned a lot on this site with all the warriors. MollyZ

I never had chemo. I am
    I never had chemo. I am hoping that your onco can prescribe something to help you.

Hugs, Angie
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I suffer from Rosacea
    and about 8 days after each treatment my face and bald head started to break out in small pimples. I had a scheduled appt with dermatologist and asked her about it. She said to use a dandruff shampoo on my head until it clears up. It does clear up within the week. On my face I was just careful not to pick and to moisturize. BTW I'm 61 and postmenopausal. Good luck :-)
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Jean T. Szabo
    Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
    T/C
    Have #3 Chemo on Tuesday. Looking forward to it; at the same time dreading the side effects. Know each time is different. Skin showing some wrinkles in the eye area; sort of "bags", watery eyes, runny nose. These two are common side effects. Walgreens has an eye moisturizer that seems to help; it is the same as Genteal which someone on this board recommended, just cheaper. Get tired after a few hours of activity; have to take a nap. This was really hard for me to accept, this tiredness. Now on a good day can take a slow walk once around the park, used to do 3 or 4 times around. Once around is 1/4 of a mile. Make sure you drink a lot of liquids, juices, eat well even if you can't taste the food ... it is important for your body to maintain its strength. Prayers on their way to you. Praying for strength and courage.