Chemo while making Heavenly Hash with the nurses..who da thought, ya'll!!

jbuff
jbuff Member Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I went for my second of twelve Taxol treatments yesterday. After my A/C brake, I had been "missing" a dear man that I met on my first day of chemo in Sept. I was so scared that day, I wanted my husband just to turn around and go home. We shared the same chemo "day" so we talked often. Last week I asked about him again and they said he was OK. Yesterday, before the nurses started my chemo, they told me that he passed away on the previous Tues. My heart was broken...he was a special man and it would take me too long to explain why. Thinking of how I would get through this treatment, in walks another "angel" I met on my second treatment in Sept. She walked in with a shopping bag full of stuff. While we were "hooked up" the nurses came in with spatulas and bowls...she made her famous "Heavenly Hash" right there as we did chemo! The doctor walked in several times to see how we were doing it and at one point the nurse handed him the spatula and said "go wash this"!!! Needless to say EVERYONE walked out that office with candy yesterday and one of the nurses remarked "this is the best day of my nursing career"! My husband walked into all of this to pick me up and thought we all were nuts! My message is : He always gives us what we need...when we need it...even if it takes us a while to figure it out. An angel was taken from me that day and when I thought I could not have gone through the treatment yesterday, He sent another angel to help me through it. I hope all of you out there have a day to treasure like I had yesterday. Bless you all on this beautiful Thanksgiving Day!

Comments

• GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    Thank you for sharing your
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful day. I also lost a dear friend to esophageal cancer this week and your story made me smile. Hope you had a great holiday.
  • jbuff
    GayleMc said:

Thank you for sharing your
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful day. I also lost a dear friend to esophageal cancer this week and your story made me smile. Hope you had a great holiday.

Thanks, I did
    And I hope you did as well. All I could do today was think about my friend and how he was smiling down laughing at all of us making that "heavenly hash"! Wishing you a GREAT Holiday Season!
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    What a wonderful
    What a wonderful thanksgiving story. Thank you so much for sharing it. You are truly surrounded by angels. Kay
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

What a wonderful
    What a wonderful thanksgiving story. Thank you so much for sharing it. You are truly surrounded by angels. Kay

How truely wonderful to have such 'beautiful' Angels
    with you and around you doing your chemo cocktail infusion days. I am so sorry that you lost a special friend - hence, the life of a cancer patient - I HATE this down side of cancer - special folks who are no longer with us.

A new Angel has come into your life - how precious you must be to our Lord.

I must also admit that I LOL when reading about your husband -- my husband, Pete has been at every chemo infusion - 18 weeks straight, consectively - missed 1 Tuesday only because he was running 101 fever .. My Onc RN - Barb and myself had to tell him repeatly .. that he must be strong, and to stop looking at me as tho I was going to die. Sorry to be so blunt! After a while he did get better, I can laugh now -- finished taxol/taxotere, hercp and carboP cocktail 12/20/09 .. 1 year of herceptin 8/20/10.

Still well .. and strong

Vicki Sam
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

What a wonderful

There are always angels
    There are always angels amongst us. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Hugs, Megan
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    As VickiSam said, there is a
    As VickiSam said, there is a sad, down side to cancer, as you recently experienced. (((hugs)))) to you on that loss. I have read so many times of the connections made at Cancer Centers during chemo~ seeing the same Warriors on our infusion day, and both rejoicing and shedding tears.

The cancer center I went to is not set up like that~ chemo is done in private rooms~ with only room for the patient and maybe 2 other people. I always had my niece with me~ we did Mad-Libs ad nauseum till our sides ached! My b/f ( now husband) was always there too, and kept me calm and distracted. I can't imagine having gone through chamo without them by my side, as hard as I know it must have been for them. I wonder how it would have been to be in a room full of Warriors! I got so used to being almost isolated and in my own chemo-world, I can't imagine being part of a group chemo experience! LOL

Speaking of isolation~ I had no idea what Heavely Hash is~ but mistakenly wondered if you go to an ultra- progressive chemo center where the RNs cook up Medical Marijuana recipes complete with help from those having chemo! What a concept! LOL So I looked it up online, and no...it is a rice-pinapple dish? Or am I mistaken? How does this make candy?? I may indeed be missing something delicious! I have never have heard of Heavenly Hash! Though my hubby LOVES rice, and I make it every day and it is consumed at most every meal ( yeah breakfast too) I am not a lover of rice, and almost never eat it! Except on the occasions I get risotto at my favorite Italian restaurant! My husband says he is of the Rice Tribe, wheras I am from the Potato Tribe! :-)

I am so happy that you had a day better than you thought at the cancer center...we do indeed get encouragement from the unexpected...and I am glad that you found yourself enveloped by the generosity and loving care of the staff! I have always said that chemo nurses are a special group of people...bless their hearts!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    chenheart said:

As VickiSam said, there is a sad, down side to cancer, as you recently experienced. (((hugs)))) to you on that loss. I have read so many times of the connections made at Cancer Centers during chemo~ seeing the same Warriors on our infusion day, and both rejoicing and shedding tears.

The cancer center I went to is not set up like that~ chemo is done in private rooms~ with only room for the patient and maybe 2 other people. I always had my niece with me~ we did Mad-Libs ad nauseum till our sides ached! My b/f ( now husband) was always there too, and kept me calm and distracted. I can't imagine having gone through chamo without them by my side, as hard as I know it must have been for them. I wonder how it would have been to be in a room full of Warriors! I got so used to being almost isolated and in my own chemo-world, I can't imagine being part of a group chemo experience! LOL

Speaking of isolation~ I had no idea what Heavely Hash is~ but mistakenly wondered if you go to an ultra- progressive chemo center where the RNs cook up Medical Marijuana recipes complete with help from those having chemo! What a concept! LOL So I looked it up online, and no...it is a rice-pinapple dish? Or am I mistaken? How does this make candy?? I may indeed be missing something delicious! I have never have heard of Heavenly Hash! Though my hubby LOVES rice, and I make it every day and it is consumed at most every meal ( yeah breakfast too) I am not a lover of rice, and almost never eat it! Except on the occasions I get risotto at my favorite Italian restaurant! My husband says he is of the Rice Tribe, wheras I am from the Potato Tribe! :-)

I am so happy that you had a day better than you thought at the cancer center...we do indeed get encouragement from the unexpected...and I am glad that you found yourself enveloped by the generosity and loving care of the staff! I have always said that chemo nurses are a special group of people...bless their hearts!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Vicki Sam said it so
    Vicki Sam said it so perfectly.

You have an angel in your life now!

I am so sorry that you lost a special friend.

Having such wonderful staff makes what we have to endure so much easier.
  • jbuff
    chenheart said:

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Our Heavenly Hash is
    a chocolate candy with marshmallow and pecans. Very simple...melt chocolate, stir in marshmallows and pecans, spoon into pan to set then cut into squares. Delicious!!! Two weekends before this "expierence" I went with my sisters to a arts and crafts festival and walked around the whole day looking at so many creative things.....do you know what I came home with...a big slab of homemade Heavenly Hash!!! nothing else...so I guess this was destined to happen and my Angel sent me to all of this! Hope you have a great Holiday Season!
  • chenheart
    jbuff said:

Our Heavenly Hash is
    a chocolate candy with marshmallow and pecans. Very simple...melt chocolate, stir in marshmallows and pecans, spoon into pan to set then cut into squares. Delicious!!! Two weekends before this "expierence" I went with my sisters to a arts and crafts festival and walked around the whole day looking at so many creative things.....do you know what I came home with...a big slab of homemade Heavenly Hash!!! nothing else...so I guess this was destined to happen and my Angel sent me to all of this! Hope you have a great Holiday Season!

LOL I should have kept
    LOL I should have kept looking online~ everything I saw was rice and pineapples~ I stopped looking! Yours sounds delish!!!!! I am glad that you have found so many smiles among your tears...they sustain us through the hard times, to be sure.

Happy Holidays!
    Claudia
  • chenheart
    jbuff said:

Our Heavenly Hash is

LOL I should have kept
    Double Post...sorry!

Happy Holidays!
    Claudia
  • jbuff
    chenheart said:

LOL I should have kept
    LOL I should have kept looking online~ everything I saw was rice and pineapples~ I stopped looking! Yours sounds delish!!!!! I am glad that you have found so many smiles among your tears...they sustain us through the hard times, to be sure.

Happy Holidays!
    Claudia

Thanks
    Claudia for the holiday wishes...I hope all of our Angels keep smiling on all of us for the rest of our lives!...Like the song says....People..people who need people..are the luckiest people in the world! May you have a Blessed Christmas and all of you holiday wishes come through. I read about the Secret Santa but don't know how to get on it. Would you know? Thanks, Joan