FMLA

disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Curious if anyone used the FMLA..? I thought i posted and can't see it..so if repeat sorry..

I did not use it..but just wondering if helpful/ works like it is suppose to!

Comments

• sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Always use FMLA
    It protects your job while you are out sick. No company should leave it up to you if you use it. It is required by law that the company place your time off aas FMLA.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    I was on FMLA
    for three months. My boss was most helpful and also insistent that I take it. I thought I would work through treatments. I wouldn't have made it if I had tried. I stepped right back into my job. FMLA = relief.

Sue
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    sbmly53 said:

I was on FMLA
    for three months. My boss was most helpful and also insistent that I take it. I thought I would work through treatments. I wouldn't have made it if I had tried. I stepped right back into my job. FMLA = relief.

Sue

Now you're speaking my language
    I'm a Human Resources Manager, so am very familiar with the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and yes, my leaves during treatment (3 weeks after surgery, 2 weeks during radiation) were most definitely designated as FMLA, to make sure that my job and benefits were protected.

Only employers who have more than 50 employees, or are a "public entity" (which is where my employer falls, and it's a complicated definition) are required to offer FMLA. It protects your job and your benefits during one or more leaves totalling up to 12 weeks in a 12-month period for a "serious health condition."

One of the most common misconceptions is that it's your responsibility to "ask for" FMLA. It's not. It is ALWAYS the employer's responsibility to designate a qualifying leave as FMLA. An employer canNOT say, "Well, the employee didn't ask for it," as long as the employer knew about the serious medical condition.

Hope that helps,

Traci
  • disneyfan2008
    TraciInLA said:

Now you're speaking my language
    I'm a Human Resources Manager, so am very familiar with the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and yes, my leaves during treatment (3 weeks after surgery, 2 weeks during radiation) were most definitely designated as FMLA, to make sure that my job and benefits were protected.

Only employers who have more than 50 employees, or are a "public entity" (which is where my employer falls, and it's a complicated definition) are required to offer FMLA. It protects your job and your benefits during one or more leaves totalling up to 12 weeks in a 12-month period for a "serious health condition."

One of the most common misconceptions is that it's your responsibility to "ask for" FMLA. It's not. It is ALWAYS the employer's responsibility to designate a qualifying leave as FMLA. An employer canNOT say, "Well, the employee didn't ask for it," as long as the employer knew about the serious medical condition.

Hope that helps,

Traci

could you explain more if you dont'mind
    When I told work 2 yrs ago...the "C" word..in mail i got packet..i had no idea what it was for..no one called, told me anything suggested things..i missed only 2 wks for surgery and did my radiation on my lunch hour for 8 wks..at the start my boss said do what YOU need ..then 3 or 4 days into said USE you sick time to do treatments (take half days daily for 8 wks..) that would have wiped out my sick time...for any future dr visits etc..

my understanding i would have to use up all sick time, vacation and personal days then time off...and could take it scattered days (i went to support group about employers) I had so much done wrong...and never knew it...I am trying to be informed if i ever need it again...hopefully not..

My job was not nice..nor most co workers (who would have to cover me) no one from my H.R> contacted me just the mail less then 24 hours after I told my boss Cancer...! MIND YOU at my annual review written up for using too much sick time and i still had 30ish days left..and never spoke to me about it,,or written..just IN MY annual review..i have been with the company 8 yrs at that time
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

could you explain more if you dont'mind
    When I told work 2 yrs ago...the "C" word..in mail i got packet..i had no idea what it was for..no one called, told me anything suggested things..i missed only 2 wks for surgery and did my radiation on my lunch hour for 8 wks..at the start my boss said do what YOU need ..then 3 or 4 days into said USE you sick time to do treatments (take half days daily for 8 wks..) that would have wiped out my sick time...for any future dr visits etc..

my understanding i would have to use up all sick time, vacation and personal days then time off...and could take it scattered days (i went to support group about employers) I had so much done wrong...and never knew it...I am trying to be informed if i ever need it again...hopefully not..

My job was not nice..nor most co workers (who would have to cover me) no one from my H.R> contacted me just the mail less then 24 hours after I told my boss Cancer...! MIND YOU at my annual review written up for using too much sick time and i still had 30ish days left..and never spoke to me about it,,or written..just IN MY annual review..i have been with the company 8 yrs at that time

More on FMLA
    An employer is required to notify an employee of his/her eligibility for FMLA within 5 business days of learning of the serious health condition, so it's actually good practice that your employer sent you a packet of information within 24 hours.

FMLA itself is unpaid leave, but it is legal for your employer to have a policy requiring you to use vacation or sick time during family leave.

And yes, FMLA can definitely be used for what's called "intermittent leave" -- examples could be a reduced daily work schedule during radiation, or a few days every 3 weeks after each chemo round, or 6 weeks after a mastectomy followed by 1 week months later after the exchange surgery.

Hope that helps,

Traci
  • disneyfan2008
    TraciInLA said:

More on FMLA
    An employer is required to notify an employee of his/her eligibility for FMLA within 5 business days of learning of the serious health condition, so it's actually good practice that your employer sent you a packet of information within 24 hours.

FMLA itself is unpaid leave, but it is legal for your employer to have a policy requiring you to use vacation or sick time during family leave.

And yes, FMLA can definitely be used for what's called "intermittent leave" -- examples could be a reduced daily work schedule during radiation, or a few days every 3 weeks after each chemo round, or 6 weeks after a mastectomy followed by 1 week months later after the exchange surgery.

Hope that helps,

Traci

thanks for info
    everything was done all so wrong ...with my employer....in so many ways....but I was cluelss and in in delemia...

so instead of them pulling me inoffice and saying...as of tomorrow start taking sick days...they could have suggested this to me..> >? I would think they would have worried how they treated me due to discrimation or something...i don't think I"LL ever get over that...just when down and out to get slap in face...i know mine is minor compared to others..it's just devoted, faithful, good worker...and started out do waht ever you must do...and then when back and less then a week of treatments pulled into the office...i cried...at annual review i got very upset and it was turned around..i dont' want you to be mad at me...i said YOU have no clue what this year has been like...not a clue..

anyhow...thanks so much for your time...and info