What part is the worst????

bruins1971
bruins1971 Member Posts: 227
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Ok so I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a better place to have the cancer in your colon. I mean I know that the colon has more than one section and I was wondering if it's better for it to be in one section than the other as far as survival effects.

Bobby

Comments

• annad723
    annad723 Member Posts: 44
    It stinks anywhere
    Hi Bobby,

I don't know if it's better in one spot or another. I think it stinks to have it anywhere. I'm also stage IV with multiple mets to the liver, both lobes. Stinks, stinks, stinks.

Was diagnosed 2 years ago at 48 so I do understand your pain. I've gotten through this one day at a time.

Happy Thanksgiving my fellow cancer fighter. I see that you're a Boston fan. I hope we can still be friends even though I'm a die hard Yankee fan!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bruins1971
    bruins1971 Member Posts: 227
    annad723 said:

It stinks anywhere
    Hi Bobby,

I don't know if it's better in one spot or another. I think it stinks to have it anywhere. I'm also stage IV with multiple mets to the liver, both lobes. Stinks, stinks, stinks.

Was diagnosed 2 years ago at 48 so I do understand your pain. I've gotten through this one day at a time.

Happy Thanksgiving my fellow cancer fighter. I see that you're a Boston fan. I hope we can still be friends even though I'm a die hard Yankee fan!!!!!!!!!!!

Fans
    I think we will have to agree to disagree about what team is better and agree to support one another in this battle. How are you doing in your fight after 2 years?
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member

Fans
    I think we will have to agree to disagree about what team is better and agree to support one another in this battle. How are you doing in your fight after 2 years?

GO PATS!!! :-)
    Happy

GO PATS!!! :-)

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • annad723
    annad723 Member Posts: 44

Fans

surviving
    Hi Bobby,

I'm doing pretty much okay. Side effects have been what I feel is minimal. I'm doing a clinical trial right now. It's nice because it's oral chemo, so I'm not sitting in a chemo room for 4-5 hours. I just had a scan today and will get the results next week. I seem to respond for a bit, and then the cancer wakes up again. The colon cleared up, without surgery, and has been clear for almost 2 years. It's the liver mets that are a problem. I have multiple mets in both lobes of the liver. For a while, the scans looked really good, and then like I said, it wakes up again.

I'm really scared they'll run out of meds for me. At this point even with the multiple lesions in the liver, my liver still functions fine. All blood tests, enzymes are all within normal range. However, my CEA number which had been at a high of 2800, came down to a 2, but is now back up to a 10. So there is concern that the disease has become active again.

I can't believe I feel as well as I do after 2 years of chemo. No breaks. Am more mentally tired than physically tired. I really do long for my pre-cancer life but I know I shouldn't dwell on that. I do have faith, and hope that God holds me in his hands, and helps me get through this.

I will have to tell you, I did always cheer on the Sox, unless they were playing NY, mostly because of Jon Lester's courage in fighting this horrible disease. Stay strong.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    IMHO: Better to be above the sigmoid colon...
    ...far enough from the sphincter to save function...

I had rectal...in the first rectal fold...removed my rectum and sigmoid colon, 'new' rectum fashioned from descending colon...WHEW! I had a magician for a surgeon!!!

Now, from the smart mouth: The best place to have colon cancer? Nowhere. ROFL!

Hugs, Kathi