Another Armidex side effect

KayNYC
KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I went to my internist last week and had my annual exam. I got a call from his nurse yesterday informing me that I will be started on Zocor for high cholesterol. I was shocked since I had my cholesterol checked a little over one month ago. I have never had high cholesterol and my good cholesteral that my doc said he would trade his for mine anyday (now he can have it)is now considered high.
I went looking into the literature and research on Arimidex. I found that about 9-10 percent of individuals in the clinical trials for Arimidex also experienced high cholesterol levels. My cholesterol went over 200, an increase of 28 points in one month! After discussion with the NP in my Onc's office, I have decided to stay on ARimidex( my other choice was Aromasin that will have negative effects on my retinal problems) and try another non-statin cholesterol medication (Have to talk to the Internist after the holiday). The statin medications have a side effect profile very similar to that of Arimidex, not what I want to deal with... One thing after another, it seems.Sorry for the rant. Just had to get this out of my system...
So, after taking a breath,feeling a bit better... I wish everyone a very Happy and Safe Thanksgiving.
Hugs, K

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    It seems there is always
    It seems there is always something new...I hope you and your doctors will find the right combination to get this under control too.

Keep taking those deep breaths so you can enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Hugs,

linda
  • KayNYC

It seems there is always
    It seems there is always something new...I hope you and your doctors will find the right combination to get this under control too.

Hugs,

linda

deep breaths and green tea
    Yes, feeling better now that I had my rant, took some deep breaths, took a walk (out of my office) and finished my green tea. Looking forward to a peaceful Thanksgiving.
    Happy Thanksgiving to your and your family.
    Hugs, K
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    KayNYC said:

deep breaths and green tea
    Yes, feeling better now that I had my rant, took some deep breaths, took a walk (out of my office) and finished my green tea. Looking forward to a peaceful Thanksgiving.
    Happy Thanksgiving to your and your family.
    Hugs, K

Hi Kay,
    Glad you are feeling better after your tea. Sorry to hear about your cholesterol. That stinks. Anyway.....HAPPY THANKSGIVING. Hugs, Jean
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Kay,
    Glad you are feeling better after your tea. Sorry to hear about your cholesterol. That stinks. Anyway.....HAPPY THANKSGIVING. Hugs, Jean

I developed a cholesterol
    I developed a cholesterol issue after chemo (taxotere/cytocin). My Onc says its not related, but a year ago my numbers were perfect; now my bad cholesterol is up, my good cholesterol is down and my triglycerides are way up as well. I started Femara a month of so ago. I hope it doesn't do what Arimidex does or I will be on statins for sure. For now I am taking Lovaza & Niacin. After about a month my triglycerides dropped 50 points, but the cholesterol remains in the "bad" range.

Oh, just to add insult to injury, I have, for the first time since pregnancy, developed a nearly daily bout with heartburn. I know it would have killed me, but I felt much better before I knew I had cancer. :+(
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

It seems there is always

Hugs,

linda

Thanks for letting us know
    Thanks for letting us know Kay.

Hugs, Kylez
  • KayNYC

I developed a cholesterol
    I developed a cholesterol issue after chemo (taxotere/cytocin). My Onc says its not related, but a year ago my numbers were perfect; now my bad cholesterol is up, my good cholesterol is down and my triglycerides are way up as well. I started Femara a month of so ago. I hope it doesn't do what Arimidex does or I will be on statins for sure. For now I am taking Lovaza & Niacin. After about a month my triglycerides dropped 50 points, but the cholesterol remains in the "bad" range.

Oh, just to add insult to injury, I have, for the first time since pregnancy, developed a nearly daily bout with heartburn. I know it would have killed me, but I felt much better before I knew I had cancer. :+(

sorry to hear
    Sorry to hear that you have having nasty side effects as well. I guess it is reasonable that if we change something other body functions will be altered too. I'm planning to discuss with my doctor a few mos of dieting and increased activity to see if that alters the cholesterol before starting another medication. My triglycerides are perfect and my good cholesterol is great. It's worth a try.
    Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.
    Hugs, K