Anyone have a reaction to Zofran?

ccincin
ccincin Member Posts: 82
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I don't think I can tolerate it. Yesterday was a HORRIBLE day. Couldn't get a hold of myself. Felt out of body! Thinking it was the nausea med??? Today I feel about 75% better.

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I feel that way for 3 to 4
    I feel that way for 3 to 4 days after treatments. I know it's because of all the meds (TAC, decadron, zofran, pepcid, claratin, senna, colace, neupogin) flowing through me. Lots (and I mean LOTS) of water seems to help. You can also check with your onc for a different anti-nausea med, there are 5 or 6 others you could try.

Also, I don't try and fight it. I am blessed to have a husband who takes over everything on chemo weekend, this allows me the time to rest and let the meds work their way out of my system. I'm able to take care of myself, but that's it. Even my kids (14 and 9) have learned to go to Dad for help when they need it.

Then, come Monday when I'm feeling better I make sure my husband gets some time to himself so he can rejuvenate. And I continue to climb out...

I don't know if this will help you, but it's what works for us. Good luck in finding the combination that works for you and your family.

A big hug for you,

Linda
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    cogentin
    You may want to try a different med for nausea. Or add cogentin to an anti-nausea med.

Zofran can cause extrapyramidal reactions: Physical symptoms, including tremor, slurred speech, akathisia (restless legs), dystonia (repetitive movements, anxiety, distress, paranoia, and bradyphrenia (slow thinking), that are primarily associated with improper dosing of or unusual reactions to neuroleptic (anti-psychotic) medications.

I had trouble with anti-nausea meds while on chemo. Any of them can cause the extrapyramidal stuff.

I had a full blown dystonic head twitching reaction to compazine that sent me to th ER (they give you a shot of cogentin and poof it stops). Also felt really weird, out of body with compazine, phenergan and inapsine. With inapsine I had some back arching too.

My oncologist finally prescribed cogentin pills to take every day while I was taking anti-nausea pills (which was often). With the cogentin, I felt fine and was able to go back to work. Only problem was mildly blurry vision when I was reading or writing--which I put up with because it was better than nausea and/or out of body!

Benadryl may help if you feel weird again, but I personally found cogentin much, much more effective in alleviating the weirdness.

Hope this helps!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member

I feel that way for 3 to 4
    I feel that way for 3 to 4 days after treatments. I know it's because of all the meds (TAC, decadron, zofran, pepcid, claratin, senna, colace, neupogin) flowing through me. Lots (and I mean LOTS) of water seems to help. You can also check with your onc for a different anti-nausea med, there are 5 or 6 others you could try.

Also, I don't try and fight it. I am blessed to have a husband who takes over everything on chemo weekend, this allows me the time to rest and let the meds work their way out of my system. I'm able to take care of myself, but that's it. Even my kids (14 and 9) have learned to go to Dad for help when they need it.

Then, come Monday when I'm feeling better I make sure my husband gets some time to himself so he can rejuvenate. And I continue to climb out...

I don't know if this will help you, but it's what works for us. Good luck in finding the combination that works for you and your family.

A big hug for you,

Linda

Sending you hugs!
    I'm so sorry that you are feeling like crap. Praying you feel better.