;( scalp hurts

heidijez
heidijez Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i finished chemo on august 11. my hair made a feeble attempt at coming back, about 1/4 inch on the sides above ears - very full here; about the same on the back of my head, but the top of the head is very sparse - can see my scalp - but hair here is about 1/2 inch. the past several days i noticed that my scalp really really hurts, especially on the top and back. is this "normal"? has anyone else experienced this? does this signal that my hair is going to fall out again(that's what the sensation reminds me of). i was really looking forward to having some hair soon, this has got me a bit worried.

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    The only time my scalp hurt
    The only time my scalp hurt was while it was falling out. My last chemo was Jan 28, '10 and I now have 2 1/4" of hair (just measured it LOL). (My hair had been more than 1/2 way down my back.)

Susan
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Yup....
    Try globbing on the moisturizer...could be it's so dry that the little newbies are having a tough time breaking thru!!!

I used Mary Kay costmetics 'Night creme'...pink, and lovingly termed axlegrease by their marketers...got the tip from a fellow colorectal cancer warrior...and used it all the way thru the breast cancer, too!

Hugs, Kathi
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    scalp still hurting
    spoke to onc who said it is possible that hair will fall out again. i keep my scalp moisturized, so dryness is not an issue. i choose to believe it is the little hairs trapped under the scalp fighting to get out ; )
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    heidijez said:

scalp still hurting
    spoke to onc who said it is possible that hair will fall out again. i keep my scalp moisturized, so dryness is not an issue. i choose to believe it is the little hairs trapped under the scalp fighting to get out ; )

Try massage...
    I forgot to say....with each application, I spent 15 minutes each time massaging my scalp...

Hugs, Kathi