port and metal detectors

mariam_11_09
mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, I am flying to visit family over the Christmas period. I still have my port as I have many months of Herceptin left. After reading the posting by Rague about the poor man who had the urine bag and had to deal with TSA I was wondering if the port would set off the metal detector and if I need to carry the port card. I had assumed the port was not metal but I could be completely wrong. I could call the doctor and ask.

thanks
Mariam

Comments

• mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Port Card
    I'd received a port card when I had mine "installed" but never needed it. I'd taken my granddaughters to the airport several times and never had any problems getting thru security with the port. I'm not sure if there are different types, you may want to check with your surgeon.
    Hope you have a good flight and happy holidays.

marge
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Port Card
    I'd received a port card when I had mine "installed" but never needed it. I'd taken my granddaughters to the airport several times and never had any problems getting thru security with the port. I'm not sure if there are different types, you may want to check with your surgeon.
    Hope you have a good flight and happy holidays.

marge
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    okay, I just answered my own
    okay, I just answered my own question. I just remembered that during chemo in July I went through security with my daughter as she was flying as an unaccompanied minor. I didn't set off any metal detector and had no problems at all. I might just carry my port card in case I encounter one of those machines that does the whole body scan.

Happy Holidays!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member

okay, I just answered my own
    okay, I just answered my own question. I just remembered that during chemo in July I went through security with my daughter as she was flying as an unaccompanied minor. I didn't set off any metal detector and had no problems at all. I might just carry my port card in case I encounter one of those machines that does the whole body scan.

Happy Holidays!

I've been through the metal
    I've been through the metal detectors at the Court House and the local Federal Building quite a few times since I've had my port and it was never an issue at all. I was a bit concerned the first time I went through the detectors after I got my 'good' pros. - it's weighted with some small metal balls - did not set anything off.

Remember that going through the metal detectors is that - they are metal detectors - going through the TSA games is very different. They are doing radiation body scans that reveal ALL of you and all that is 'different'; ie. mastectomy. I can only shudder to think what the ignorant groopers employed by TSA would think a port (or a pace maker) is when they are grooping. They don't know what breast prosthesis or ostomy bags are.

Susan
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I agree, take the card....
    Just to be safe.

My beau has a pacemaker, which earns him the 'right' to a pat-down. He got caught one time in Paris without it...and ended up needing to be frisked by the police! We learned THAT valuable lesson...

I went thru the 'old' screening many times while I had my port...with no trouble. I have also been patted down, as recently as October in Dallas. The gal was very respectful, and I cooperated. She did not grope, she did not squeeze...

The one piece of advice I read, from the Homeland Security side was, whatever you decide, be civil to the screener. Don't bring up other's bad experiences, or challenge your screener, or make inappropriate jokes. If he or she behaves badly, get their name, and go to the head of security afterward, and make a formal complaint. These people are, for the most part, just trying to do their jobs. Terrorists are the ones that should be blamed for creating this situation. It's no easy task when being confronted. If you choose to be difficult, just remember there can be up to a $11,000 fine involved.

Another friend, a radiologist, recently back from Cambodia added: "Flying is a privilege, not a right. It is no time to misbehave, either on the ground, or in the air!"

I will keep you posted...I switch countries the end of December...I am leaning toward a pat down, just because the amount of radiation I receive from flying is enough on it's own...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    KathiM said:

I agree, take the card....
    Just to be safe.

My beau has a pacemaker, which earns him the 'right' to a pat-down. He got caught one time in Paris without it...and ended up needing to be frisked by the police! We learned THAT valuable lesson...

I went thru the 'old' screening many times while I had my port...with no trouble. I have also been patted down, as recently as October in Dallas. The gal was very respectful, and I cooperated. She did not grope, she did not squeeze...

The one piece of advice I read, from the Homeland Security side was, whatever you decide, be civil to the screener. Don't bring up other's bad experiences, or challenge your screener, or make inappropriate jokes. If he or she behaves badly, get their name, and go to the head of security afterward, and make a formal complaint. These people are, for the most part, just trying to do their jobs. Terrorists are the ones that should be blamed for creating this situation. It's no easy task when being confronted. If you choose to be difficult, just remember there can be up to a $11,000 fine involved.

Another friend, a radiologist, recently back from Cambodia added: "Flying is a privilege, not a right. It is no time to misbehave, either on the ground, or in the air!"

I will keep you posted...I switch countries the end of December...I am leaning toward a pat down, just because the amount of radiation I receive from flying is enough on it's own...

Hugs, Kathi

"Flying is a privilege"
    If that interpretion is correct (which I do not believe it is) then to leave our property is a 'privilege' and to go in any store to buy food/supplies is a 'privilege' allowing us to be groped and disrespected by the store. Don't think that's legal. Employers can't.

IF I were to fly - I would try to treat the person I had to deal with as I would want to be treated - but they will be treated as they choose to treat me. Of course, do not go in with an attitude but do not accept attitude and abuse from anyone.