question

jphilpo
jphilpo Member Posts: 177
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a i year survivor and have completed surgeries, chemo, rads and diep flap reconstruction. A year ago my sister was diagnosed with stage 1 tumor and had a lumpectomy and radiation which she has completed. She has been on tamoxifen for about 6 months.
At her regular check up this past week, her blood work was suspicious. More tests showed that the cancer had spread to her liver. She said her dr. was shocked. She will now have to go through chemo.

Has this happened to anyone else? We are both very positive people, but we know that once it has spread to another place, the liver, it can be very difficult to treat.

I am just looking for similar situations or advice,

Thanks,
Jean

Comments

• roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    It has happened to many people.
    It is impossible to tell where the cancer has spread even in those of us they say are early stage. So far, mine has not shown up anywhere else but I know that it could happen. Many stage 4 cancer survivors started out as stage 1 with node negative cancer. I'm so sorry about your sister but there are many treatments available. Hugs.

Roseann
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    not uncommon
    It is not uncommon for cancer to spread, even while a person is being treated for cancer. My Sister's cancer spread in the middle of treatments. They are learning new things every day, so I am sure your Doctors can offer options.

Live as well as you can for as long as you can. seof
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    seof said:

not uncommon
    It is not uncommon for cancer to spread, even while a person is being treated for cancer. My Sister's cancer spread in the middle of treatments. They are learning new things every day, so I am sure your Doctors can offer options.

Live as well as you can for as long as you can. seof

Sorry about your sister
    I have learned from this board that it could happened any time with anybody. Unfortunately there are many unknown elements about cancer origin and progression. Hopefully Chemo therapy will help your sister to beat it.
    Prayers to you and your sister.
    New Flower
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Sorry about your sister
    I have learned from this board that it could happened any time with anybody. Unfortunately there are many unknown elements about cancer origin and progression. Hopefully Chemo therapy will help your sister to beat it.
    Prayers to you and your sister.
    New Flower

I am sorry that the cancer
    I am sorry that the cancer spread for you sister. Sending prayers and positive thoughts.

There are sisters in pink on here that have had cancer 2 and 3 times and are living great lives. You always have to just keep fighting, as, you can win!

Hugs, Leeza
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    i so sorry to hear that your
    i so sorry to hear that your sisters cancer is back. your sister and you are in my prayers. All stages of cancer can be treated now with success. Hugs to you and your sister . You will both be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted Take care Kay,
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

i so sorry to hear that your
    i so sorry to hear that your sisters cancer is back. your sister and you are in my prayers. All stages of cancer can be treated now with success. Hugs to you and your sister . You will both be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted Take care Kay,

Yes, this is not uncommon. Chemo is a more
    agressive way to treat cancer and tumors. I am so sorry that your sister is faced with several cycles of chemo ... and that the cancer has spread into her liver - ! May God and his Angels watch over the two of you.

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    VickiSam said:

Yes, this is not uncommon. Chemo is a more
    agressive way to treat cancer and tumors. I am so sorry that your sister is faced with several cycles of chemo ... and that the cancer has spread into her liver - ! May God and his Angels watch over the two of you.

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam

My oncologist said...
    That the biggest risk of recurrence is in the first 2 years no matter what the treatment. When they remove the primary site (which in some way works like the control center for the cancer), it can speed the growth in other areas if the cancer has spread. Scarey to think that all this can be going on without our knowledge until it shows up on some test.

Roseann