TSA are IDIOTS! (Spilled a urostomy bag)

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just saw an interview on TV with a man who was horribly abused by the TSA. He is a bladder cancer survivor and uses a uriostomy bag. He went through the radiation scanner - told them he had a medical device. He was pulled over for the groopy-feely assault. He told the man that he had the bag but the male had no clue about what it was and refused to listen. He just went ahead with starting his feel down. Mr. Sawyer again told the male that he had a medical device and the if the grooper/feeler kept being as rough as he was that he would spill the unrine - he did. Mr Sawyer was then sent on through soaked down his front with urine. He went to the bathroom and cleaned up the best he could with the time he still had before he had to board. After in flight, he went to the plane's bathroom and cleaned up and put on the clean clothes he had in his carry on.

As horrible as it would be for us with breat pros. I can't begin to comprehend what this poor man had to go through. There is no excuse for such perverted behavior by anyone.

Susan

Comments

• linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    TSA
    That is so awful! I am dreading the next time I have to fly. I certainly hope the TSA takes all this feedback from people with medical issues and comes up with some kind of an alternative plan to get us through without embarrassment like this poor man had to endure. This just makes me sick.
    Did anyone see the skit on Saturday Night Live regarding this - it was hilarious, but creepy at the same time.
    Linda
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    poor man
    perhaps they will have some kind of certificate for anyone with misc medical issues..flying-I am sure many many kinks...so sorry he had to deal with it...
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    I'm not a believer in being
    I'm not a believer in being overly litigious, but this poor man needs to sue the TSA-not only to be compensated for what he had to go through, but so that new standards & education can be implemented for the screeners. Surely there must have been SOME mention of dealing with people with medical accessories, or prosthesis or handicaps.
    Seriously, I hope this causes a big stink with the TSA & doesn't get swept under the rug, because it's terrible what happened. I would have thrown a FIT!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    That is AWFUL!
    Hummmm....with my 'other' cancer, many of my friends have colostomy/ostomy bags...full of ...well...you know!!!

Serves the guy right who messes with THAT!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Rague
    KathiM said:

That is AWFUL!
    Hummmm....with my 'other' cancer, many of my friends have colostomy/ostomy bags...full of ...well...you know!!!

Serves the guy right who messes with THAT!!!

Hugs, Kathi

I hope I'm mis-reading what you wrote!
    How can 'it' "serve the guy right" to be forced to walk through an airport soaked with his own urine because a less than human male refused to act at all human but chose to (when warned before hand to not be so rough as the bag would be opened) cause an urostomy bag to be spilled over a cancer survivor and then him forced to walk through the airport not only wet but smelling of urine?

If I mis-read - I apologize. I do that sometimes expecially with something that is important to me.

Susan
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Rague said:

I hope I'm mis-reading what you wrote!
    How can 'it' "serve the guy right" to be forced to walk through an airport soaked with his own urine because a less than human male refused to act at all human but chose to (when warned before hand to not be so rough as the bag would be opened) cause an urostomy bag to be spilled over a cancer survivor and then him forced to walk through the airport not only wet but smelling of urine?

If I mis-read - I apologize. I do that sometimes expecially with something that is important to me.

Susan

Yes, you did....big time....
    I meant the TSA guy....

Most of my colorectal guys and gals do what this poor soul does...carries a change of clothes...

Consider the source...you have 'known' me for a long time...do you thing I would ever come down on the 'side' of the 'outside non-cancer world'?

Apology accepted...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Rague
    KathiM said:

Yes, you did....big time....
    I meant the TSA guy....

Most of my colorectal guys and gals do what this poor soul does...carries a change of clothes...

Consider the source...you have 'known' me for a long time...do you thing I would ever come down on the 'side' of the 'outside non-cancer world'?

Apology accepted...

Hugs, Kathi

I'm the one who was wrong
    - I'm sorry I should have taken time and read better and let my temper cool down. I had called the offices of Sen. Thune and Rep. Noem and had been treated with respect. However, getting Sen. Johnson's office has been frustrating.

Again - I am sorry for my 'spout off' (or what ever anyone wants to call 'it') - it wasn't called for at all. My apologies, not only to KathiM, but to all who I have offended.

Susan
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Yes the TSA
    people are complete idiots! Last we my husband got the full pat down experience and you will never guess why. He was wearing suspenders! I just couldn't believe it!

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    ladyg said:

Yes the TSA
    people are complete idiots! Last we my husband got the full pat down experience and you will never guess why. He was wearing suspenders! I just couldn't believe it!

Hugs,
    Georgia

part of me feels offended,
    part of me feels offended, and part of me feels like I dont want to survive cancer to be killed on a plane by some idiot. They have to have respectful, dignified protocols in place for people with medical issues and have them in place ahead of time. I have two prosthesis and I dont mind them being checked if it can be done privately without humiliation. I feel this especially for the people with colostomies and urostomies. I guess its easier for me than a uni as I can just look flat. It is really hard when there are people who are out there who will stop at nothing to cause another incident. I vote we spend on energies on world peace and then we wont be groping people. (sigh)
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Susan
    I saw the news broadcast and was mortified for this poor man. The TSA has gone too far. I'm not going to be pulling my "boobs" out to show them. Disgusted!
    {{hugs}} Char