6 years ago, this week.....

KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
The day after Thanksgiving, to be exact....

I was told those 3 words, and told I had about 6 months to live. "Get your affairs in order", "Say goodbye to your loved ones"...all of that....

Not only did I survive that first cancer (rectal) but, at 6 months, started treatment for the second (breast) that they had found to which they "Wouldn't start treating until after I survived treatment for the rectal".

Needless to say, I missed the e-mail...or the significance...or whatever, and I am clean from both cancers!!! I thank all of my sisters here, as well as some wonderfully supportive friends who helped me thru my journey. (2 weeks after hearing the news, my beau's dad died in The Netherlands, and he needed to leave me to help his berift mother).

I know it seems impossible sometimes, I remember it well! I lost 65 pounds (have since gained it back..lol), my hair, the entire lower part of my plumbing, all of my 'female parts', part of my left breast, the ability to 'use' my 'special' arm, my bone density (still osteoporotic).

BUT I gave it my best shot, got mad at the beast, listened to my treatment team, and treated my body as a warm, sick old friend...and here I am!!!

So don't give up, even tho the going is hard. Love the people kind enough to be your cheer squad during the fight. Never refuse help, it actually makes you stronger, not weaker. Realize there IS 'life after cancer', even tho it may not be the same life as before cancer...basically, "Fight like a girl!"

BIG hugs! Kathi

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Kathi, VERY WELL said!!
    Kathi, VERY WELL said!! This may just make it a little easier or provide encouragement to some of our sisters in the midst of the fight for their life. Thanks!!

P.S. I am so grateful that the prognosis was way off for you as you are an integral part of this board. You speak with knowledge and from the heart and it's so appreciated.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Kathi, VERY WELL said!!
    Kathi, VERY WELL said!! This may just make it a little easier or provide encouragement to some of our sisters in the midst of the fight for their life. Thanks!!

P.S. I am so grateful that the prognosis was way off for you as you are an integral part of this board. You speak with knowledge and from the heart and it's so appreciated.

Thanks for sharing.
    What an inspirational story. Congratulations on your anniversary cancer free.

Roseann
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I just want to say I Love
    I just want to say I Love You. Smiling at you...basking in your longevity!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Thank you for your
    Thank you for your encouragement and for sharing your story. I find it timely...we're in the midst of the most important battle ever fought for ourselves. Many of us are facing our first holiday season with this beast, and the holidays themselves are difficult/stressful for some. So I find the reminder that with support, a little strength, and a dash of courage we WILL move beyond this time and find our own 'life after cancer'.

A BIG hug right back,

Linda
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    What an inspiration you are
    What an inspiration you are Kathi! Thank you so much for sharing--you made my Thanksgiving! :-)
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    "Fight like a girl" - NOPE
    Not me - I'm going to fight like a winner - like my 'enemy' fights.

It's strange how some things will bring back long forgotten thoughts/happenings. Growing up, I was a 'tom boy' no matter how much Mom tried to keep me in pretty, frilly dresses with curls and bows. After one particular 'disagreement' with one of the 'guys', he complained that I 'fought like a girl' (I beat him anyway). His Dad worked for my Dad and it was mentioned to Daddy. That afternoon we had a 'talk' (Daddy was quite the talker). So as a 7 y/o I learned that you should always know/learn your enemy (be it physical or mentally) and fight them as they fight but if necessary do whatever you have to to be the victor. So - I'm not going to 'fight like a girl' dealing with IBC - I'm going to fight in any/all way I can to be the victor.

Susan
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Kathi,
    You are a fighter and a true inspiration for many of us. Thank you! Enjoy your Thanksgiving. Hugs, Jean
  • ccincin
    ccincin Member Posts: 82
    WOW
    What an amazing accomplishment! I'm speechless! And inspired!
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Thank you Kathi,

Thank you Kathi,
    Very, very well said. You are a inspiration to all of us. And give new hope. Thank you so much for sharing. What a strong lady you are. You go girl!! I wish for you a very long healthy happy life full of all the best things in life. I am so proud of you for never giving up and showing cancer who is BOSS Take care Darlin Kay,
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    CONGRATULAIONS
    Kathi, Congratulations on your anniversary but also on your fight and ongoing fight. I have just finished rad.2 weeks ago. Still have some of the doubts and fears. Trying to stay positive and want to fight this fight. We can't let the cancer win. Way to many of us getting this horrid evil thing.

Wishing you and your family a truly Blessed Holiday Season.

Hugs to you and Prayers,
    Diana
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    great words of wisdom
    Sorry you had to go through all that...glad you are here to write about it
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    thank-you for sharing this.

thank-you for sharing this. It is very inspirational. We need to hear this and your advice. There are so many sad stories which need to be heard as well AND we need to hear the stories where people are able to get over their cancer and continue living. Thank-you.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

thank-you for sharing this.

thank-you for sharing this. It is very inspirational. We need to hear this and your advice. There are so many sad stories which need to be heard as well AND we need to hear the stories where people are able to get over their cancer and continue living. Thank-you.

my little struggle into prospective ... I am so happy that your honor us by sharing your story of courage, strength and will to survive.

You are 1 strong WARRIOR!!!!!

Vicki Sam
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Thank you all for the kind words!!!
    We (my beau and I) decided that we need to celebrate...

So, Saturday, we are headed to San Diego for the weekend, to a fav hotel right on the beach. It will be cold, but that's ok for us...we just wear jackets when we walk at the water line...lol! We used to go between my treatments, to cheer me up...now, well, we still love it, and it's a special place!!!

Thank you, again, sweet souls, for your dancing with me...it really took some doing those years ago!!! I bless each and every one of you with the same future!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    KathiM said:

Thank you all for the kind words!!!
    We (my beau and I) decided that we need to celebrate...

So, Saturday, we are headed to San Diego for the weekend, to a fav hotel right on the beach. It will be cold, but that's ok for us...we just wear jackets when we walk at the water line...lol! We used to go between my treatments, to cheer me up...now, well, we still love it, and it's a special place!!!

Thank you, again, sweet souls, for your dancing with me...it really took some doing those years ago!!! I bless each and every one of you with the same future!!!!

Hugs, Kathi

I love your story, it is
    I love your story, it is simply beautiful. Thank you for sharing and have a great weekend.
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Kathi
    My dear sister, You have been through so much and you definetly deserve our praise and admiration. I wish you the best. Enjoy the week-end in San Diego and all the blessings of this holiday season.
    Hugs to you,
    Annette
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Dear Kathi, I feel a
    Dear Kathi, I feel a special connection to you since you were my ornament sister last year. I am so glad that year 5 has brought you happy times and that your future looks bright. xoxoxo Lynn