Herceptin

kya911
kya911 Member Posts: 157
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Tuesday I start Herceptin infusion what can expect to happen.
Do you get sick / tired ??
Will I need to take time off?
How did you feel after getting it?
Hugs
Judy

Comments

• chriskaput
    chriskaput Member Posts: 109
    herceptin
    I have had no side effects with Herceptin. I started it with Taxol 4 mos. ago and now take it alone when I finished the chemo. Your onco. has to check your heart every 3 mos. while on herceptin.

you'll do fine..it's a piece of cake : )
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Herceptin
    Hello Kya. I've been on Herceptin weekly since February 26th. Most of the time I've received it in combination with other drugs (ie Taxol, Taxotere, Navelbine, and once every 4 weeks Zometa). Most of the side effects I've experienced are caused by the other drugs. I believe Herceptin by itself is very tolerable. It is one of the newer targeted therapies and has shown very good results for some. Hope you are one of those. Best wishes. Marsha
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member

Herceptin
    Hello Kya. I've been on Herceptin weekly since February 26th. Most of the time I've received it in combination with other drugs (ie Taxol, Taxotere, Navelbine, and once every 4 weeks Zometa). Most of the side effects I've experienced are caused by the other drugs. I believe Herceptin by itself is very tolerable. It is one of the newer targeted therapies and has shown very good results for some. Hope you are one of those. Best wishes. Marsha

I finished my year of
    I finished my year of herceptin in the beginning of Oct. Very tired the day of infusion because of the benedryl. I also got the sinus, nose running, dizziness and numbing in arms and legs, shortness of breath and sporadic fast heart rate. These side effects started 5 months after chemo so don't know if they're a late reaction to A/C, Taxol or the herceptin as the side effects are simular. Your oncol. should give you a list of side effects to look out for. I had to have an echocardiogram every 3 months. That's a cool test cuz you get to see your heart beating and hear the blood flowing.

Compared to chemo it's a breeze.
  • kya911
    kya911 Member Posts: 157
    Sher43009 said:

I finished my year of
    I finished my year of herceptin in the beginning of Oct. Very tired the day of infusion because of the benedryl. I also got the sinus, nose running, dizziness and numbing in arms and legs, shortness of breath and sporadic fast heart rate. These side effects started 5 months after chemo so don't know if they're a late reaction to A/C, Taxol or the herceptin as the side effects are simular. Your oncol. should give you a list of side effects to look out for. I had to have an echocardiogram every 3 months. That's a cool test cuz you get to see your heart beating and hear the blood flowing.

Compared to chemo it's a breeze.

Thank You
    Now I can relax.
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    kya911 said:

Thank You
    Now I can relax.

Yes-now you can relax.
    I finished Herceptin treatment 7/30/10 and everything went smoothly. I did not take Benedryl before the treatments. Only took time off to have the treatment and went back to work right after.

Margo
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    There are no side effects
    There are no side effects with Herceptin, You don't have to worry about that. If they give you benedryl you may get sleepy the day of, that's all. take care smooth sailing. Kay
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Herceptin should not be a
    Herceptin should not be a problem. I had more of an issue with they Benadryl that they give me with the Herceptin. As mentioned already they will do MUGA scans to check your heart function, also not a problem.

Wow your fist is on Tuesday and my last is also on Tuesday.

Hugs

Donna
  • sohardbnme
    sohardbnme Member Posts: 129

Herceptin should not be a
    Herceptin should not be a problem. I had more of an issue with they Benadryl that they give me with the Herceptin. As mentioned already they will do MUGA scans to check your heart function, also not a problem.

Wow your fist is on Tuesday and my last is also on Tuesday.

Hugs

Donna

Finish chemo...
    Hi All

I finish TCH chemo on November 16...I am worried about Herceptin side effects...
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    info resource
    Look at chemocare.com to find info on specific drugs. Herceptin was no problem for me other than chemo induced early menopause (no period, hot/cold flashes).

seof