Case Management Program

Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Friday received a call from my insurance company. A Nurse who said she was with their new program "Case Management" and acted as a facilitator/advocate for patients with Breast Cancer. She asked what I felt were some "invasive" questions concerning my treatment, the drugs, etc. Told her had no questions didn't need anything at this time and didn't wnt interference with my treatment or inurance coverage. Has anyone else ever received a call like this? My insurance company is Blue Cross & Blue Shield. Will call them tomorrow, Monday, to see if they requested this person to call me. Any advice?

Comments

• AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Yes
    My insurance company gave me a case manager. She was wonderful. She would call about once a month to check on me and answer any questions. I could call her if I had questions or needed help. It in no way interferred with my drs. or coverage. It was nice to have someone I could call if needed. Take advantage of it. It usually worked out that I'd have questions just about the time she would call. I hope this helps. Mine was with Cigna.

Janie
  • Jean T. Szabo
    Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
    AMomNETN said:

Yes
    My insurance company gave me a case manager. She was wonderful. She would call about once a month to check on me and answer any questions. I could call her if I had questions or needed help. It in no way interferred with my drs. or coverage. It was nice to have someone I could call if needed. Take advantage of it. It usually worked out that I'd have questions just about the time she would call. I hope this helps. Mine was with Cigna.

Janie

Questions
    What kinds of questions could she answer? The Onc. and Onc. nurse usually answer questions. Would this be questions concerning prescription coverage?
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302

Questions
    What kinds of questions could she answer? The Onc. and Onc. nurse usually answer questions. Would this be questions concerning prescription coverage?

Same Thing Happened to Me
    After my dx I also got a call (in fact several) from some sort of case manager at my insurance company. I never returned the phone calls. Frankly, I never felt comfortable talking with a nurse or whatever she was about my health issues when she was connected to my insurance. They even sent me a letter and I ignored that too. I guess I'm just not a very trusting person - lol! Besides, I did have someone at my mamo place who stayed in contact with me thru the first year and I could always call her with questions and she was very helpful to me.

Good luck with what you decide. Hugs, Sally
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    i too have empire / blue cross
    I have never rec'd any call during or post treatment (now 18 mths into it)
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    i too have empire / blue cross
    I have never rec'd any call during or post treatment (now 18 mths into it)
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Yes
    I also was assigned a case management nurse. I guess the insurance companies want to make sure you aren't getting any 'unnecessary' treatment. It worked out okay though.

Sue
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    sbmly53 said:

Yes
    I also was assigned a case management nurse. I guess the insurance companies want to make sure you aren't getting any 'unnecessary' treatment. It worked out okay though.

Sue

I have Blue Cross Blue
    I have Blue Cross Blue Shield and this never happened to me. Although, I always call them anytime I have any surgery or tests to verify it is covered, which it always has been.
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Me too
    Jean - I also have Blue Shield (Highmark) and a case manager calls me regularly. I've had some pretty good chats with her, but I'm always wondering if she's reporting what I say back to the insurance people to try to limit my coverage or something. Although she says (as does the paperwork) that she has no ties to the actual insurance and cannot run interference for me with any insurance questions. She is only there to help with treatment questions. She always asks if I am having any depression. I don't feel like discussing a lot of stuff with a stranger, although she is very nice.
    Linda