Chemo "foggy" brain

Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Treatments make my thinking "foggy". Hate that. Can't seem to focus or make any important decisions when feeling like this. Make a list of things that need to get done before the next treatment, do everything necessary on "good days" before. Really don't like the "spacy" feeling. Anyone else have this problem? Is this what is meant by "Chemo brain" that I've heard of on here?

Comments

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Sounds like it
    That pretty much sounds like I felt! Mine was worse with the first treatment but I am 4 1/2 months out of chemo and still have problems with being foggy feeling. Not all the time but often. I put reminders in my phone for almost everything and make lists, stick up post it notes to help me remember. I know some of the ladies have said it last a year or so and some even longer. Just one of the many things we learn to handle. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

Sounds like it
    That pretty much sounds like I felt! Mine was worse with the first treatment but I am 4 1/2 months out of chemo and still have problems with being foggy feeling. Not all the time but often. I put reminders in my phone for almost everything and make lists, stick up post it notes to help me remember. I know some of the ladies have said it last a year or so and some even longer. Just one of the many things we learn to handle. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

I'm 6 months post-chemo
    and it's better--but I've still had a few issues. Like driving someplace I've been a bunch of times and trying to remember which freeway to take. However, it is much better. When I was going through chemo, I lost my debit card twice(!) and lost my checkbook. I felt like a 2-year-old who couldn't be trusted to keep anything important. I started putting my husband in charge of alot of things--I didn't trust myself. I also made lists for everything. That helped.

Good luck. Sometimes you just have to laugh--it can be comical.

Hugs, Renee
  • tambow
    tambow Member Posts: 42
    Chemo brain
    Know what you mean....
    I finished chemo in March & I have my last Herceptin treatment next month. My "chemo brain" is still pretty bad. Can't multi-task! and if I don't write it down as soon as I think of something.....forget about it! The worst part is seeing someone I've known for years and can't remember their name!!! Hope all this will pass soon, but I've heard different stories about how long it lasts...and of course, everyone is different.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    tambow said:

Chemo brain
    Know what you mean....
    I finished chemo in March & I have my last Herceptin treatment next month. My "chemo brain" is still pretty bad. Can't multi-task! and if I don't write it down as soon as I think of something.....forget about it! The worst part is seeing someone I've known for years and can't remember their name!!! Hope all this will pass soon, but I've heard different stories about how long it lasts...and of course, everyone is different.

Concur with all the other Warriors .. Chemo Brain is
    still pretty much with me .. I finished chemo 12/20/09 .. Hercepting 8/20/10 -- and I am about 65% back to 'normal' - not all the way yet. Some days are better than others.

Lost my keys, wallet and several jackets - Preferred to read 'Go Dog Go' book series, really really bad. Enjoy the Women's day mag's, or trashy mag's .. unable to concentrate on 1 thing for too long.

I still write notes .. when cooking .. when I put something in, when I need to take out - I have used several timers only to find that I could not remember which timer belonged to which food ... SERIOUSLY! I am of course talking about, roast, mashed potatoes, homemade apple pie -- all going at the same time. Now I am not an 'over' achiever when it comes to cooking dinners .. plain and simple does it!

We do get better ladies .. little by little - force ourself to play memory games - talk about an article we recently read about in a newspaper, on line or a mag - learn something little everyday .. I try and do a new word for the day .. if we are right handed, try brushing your teeth with your left hand, simple silly things .. they do help. Puzzles help our brain -- start out with a 20 piece puzzle, and move to a 30 pieces not 200 piece -as this can get frustrating! I know .. been there, done that! LOL

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam