Expanders on the Way!

Chickadee1955
Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am scheduled for Phase I reconstruction with the expanders being put in on November 30th. I have also scheduled Phase II, the implant replacement surgery, for December 27th (in order to get everything done during this calendar year for insurance purposes).

PS says he will fill the expanders as much as possible during the initial surgery and then have me in 1 or 2 times per week through December. I expect to be pretty miserable, but if I wait, it will literally cost me thousands of dollars in deductible and out of pocket.

PS also says this is quite doable and I say "that's what pain meds are for". Wish me luck, ladies, I think I might need it!

Comments

• Mariannemm
    Mariannemm Member Posts: 136
    1 Month away...
    for my phase I of reconstruction. I have mine on Dec. 14th, but he said it will take about 6 months to complete. He told me after the fills are done I have to let them settle. Wish mine could be quicker! I have already done this part once already, it didn't work the last time. I had complications so I had to go back in for surgery and have everything removed! So my fingers and toes are crossed that this time it will work!
  • confused123
    confused123 Member Posts: 251

1 Month away...
    for my phase I of reconstruction. I have mine on Dec. 14th, but he said it will take about 6 months to complete. He told me after the fills are done I have to let them settle. Wish mine could be quicker! I have already done this part once already, it didn't work the last time. I had complications so I had to go back in for surgery and have everything removed! So my fingers and toes are crossed that this time it will work!

Good luck! I had my
    Good luck! I had my expanders put in during my mastectomy and when I had them filled weekly it felt tight but I did not feel pain. It was ok for me so I hope it is for you too!

Kim
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Chickadee 1955,
    How are you? Glad to hear that you are getting this step over with. I had my expander put in when I had my mastectomy in May. However, in June they decided that I should do chemo. So I was ready for my "exchange" in July, but they couldn't do it during chemo. So my surgery is scheduled for December 1st. I'll be thinking about you. Hugs, Jean
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Chickadee 1955,
    How are you? Glad to hear that you are getting this step over with. I had my expander put in when I had my mastectomy in May. However, in June they decided that I should do chemo. So I was ready for my "exchange" in July, but they couldn't do it during chemo. So my surgery is scheduled for December 1st. I'll be thinking about you. Hugs, Jean

Hello Jean!
    I'll be thinking

Hello Jean!

I'll be thinking of you on Dec 1. Please be sure to post how the exchange goes. I'll be looking for it!

Best of luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

((Hugs back at ya))

Chickadee
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Good luck to you! I'm
    Good luck to you! I'm recovering from my exchange surgery right now, had it on Tuesday. My plastic surgeon did 150ccs at the time of placing the expanders, and i got an additional 100cc's of fluid every 2 weeks after that. Honestly, up until I got to about 550-600ccs, i could have gone every week. Once I got to that bigger size, though, it started getting really painful & i had to back down to 50ccs every 2 weeks. He filled me to 800 cc's, and then i ahd one last 50cc overfill 2 weeks before my surgery. Take your pain meds, take ibuprofen along with them (REALLY helps with the inflamation/muscle pain) and use soft gel ice packs & NOT heating pads - the ice packs were a godsend for me. All in all, for me, the expansion process was not bad. The worst part was just having those hard, uncomfortable expanders inside me in the first place! Now my boobs are soft again -although Im still in considerable pain & cant get very comfortable - im feeling a little bit better every day & hoping to be alot better by thanksgiving!
    Best of luck to you!!
    *gentle hugs*
    Heather
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Hello Jean!
    I'll be thinking

Hello Jean!

I'll be thinking of you on Dec 1. Please be sure to post how the exchange goes. I'll be looking for it!

Best of luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

((Hugs back at ya))

Chickadee

Good luck to you!
    Good luck to you!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Chickadee, you will do just
    Chickadee, you will do just fine. I had my exchange surgery one week ago today. I am actually back at work beginning today. My PS prescribed Valium for muscle spasms while I was ging through the "fill" process. I have an extremely high tolerence for pain so I only took the Valium once I think. I was filled with 200cc's at the time of mastectomy. At the first fill the PS filled with 100 cc's. That was painful for me and from then on he only filled 50 cc's. I was never so happy as to get the "rocks" (expanders) OUT!! You are so lucky to not have this process drag on for months. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.