good news and a little sad.

mariam_11_09
mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I saw my Radiation Oncologist on Wednesday for a follow up visit 3 weeks post rads. I really like him so when he said 'I don't have a reason to see you again', I felt 'aaaagh, but I want to see you again and discuss photography and shaminism and have a good laugh'. Anyway he did say that I was doing better than most people and that my flap (I had DIEP flap recon) was doing extremely well, in fact was not affected by the radiation at all. No shrinkage.

I really like my doctors and despite dealing with cancer treatment I am really going to miss all the doctors, they are wonderful doctors, compassionate and caring as well as very interesting people. The nurses too in the infusion center, I love having a good chat with them when I go in for herceptin late on Friday afternoons and I have been exchanging music with one of the technicians in radiation (still even though I am done with rads).

This is such a bitter sweet journery!

Comments

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    I got really attached to my
    I got really attached to my chemo nurses and missed them when I finished chemo. I have gone by to visit them. I also got really close to research nurse that was conducting a drug study I was in for my lumpectomy. I went to her baby shower a couple of weeks ago. I really like my Med. Onc a lot, but did not care for my rad Onc at all. He was never there, out of the 6 wks. of rads I saw him twice. I loved his nurse and the techs were wonderful. I have a follow up in Dec. and am dreading seeing him but looking forward to seeing the techs! Some of the wonderful people I have meet along this journey, including the wonderful people here have been definite bright spots a long the way! God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I understand
    I just went for routine check up with oncologist-I way by I stopped in cancer center (same building) to say hi..I got hugs and chatted...

I spoke to therapist/ social worker soon as she saw me she remembered all details..like my job, this and that...i was suprised...
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    It is a bittersweet
    It is a bittersweet situation, isn't it? We never of course wanted to find ourselves in the world of Beast-Battling~but along the way we find loving, caring souls who we become emotionally attached to. There is a reason that people are in their professions; it seems to me most everyone in the field of oncology has an abundance of empathy, compassion, and a genuine longing for a life free of this damnable disease. They are a lot like us here in the receiving end here at CSN, aren't they? No wonder we all connect so readily! :-)

It's rather like the ornament exchange~ did any of you in your wildest dreams think you would be giving me your names and addresses and that you would be anxiously awaiting an ornament from someone you only know from this online community?!!! Incredible! One of the best parts of this season ( for me anyway) is hearing that someone either bought, mailed, or got thier ornament!!!

Happy Thanksgiving~ it is obvious you have much to be thankful for!!!!

Hugs,
    Chen♥