First Chemo treatment

ccincin
ccincin Member Posts: 82
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Is tomorrow. I'm scared, nervous, anxious and strangely excited. It means I will be on the road to the end of treatment. 6 months of chemo then 6 weeks of rads....yikes!
Did you that did both start rads immediately? Or how long did you have to wait?
Thanks for all the help!

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Sending positive thoughts & prayers to you tomorrow
    Hope all goes well. Hope you are hydrating today. Make sure to drink today, tomorrow and the day after. It really does help! I didn't have rads, so I don't know how long you will have to wait to start. Hugs, Jean
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    The first is the worst
    because of the unknown. Drink plenty of water and bring little snacks with you. I finished chemo 10/29/09 and started rads about 3 weeks later. I believe the wait was a scheduling issue because no one ever said I needed recoop time in between, but it was nice to have some time between to get my strength back.

Good luck tomorrow, keep your onc team informed of anything you're experiencing cause they "have a pill for that" in all likelihood.

Once you've started the end is in sight.

marge
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Fear of the unknown
    Fear of the unknown is the WORST part of the first chemo treatment.

I called the onc's office and they suggested that I bring a blanket and something to do (it takes almost 3 hours). They also told me to eat a light meal, since I was scheduled for 9am, I had eggs and toast and brought some snacks also.

Before giving the actual T & C, they first gave me benedryl and adavan so I was pretty calm by the time the medication finished in fact I fell asleep. The side effects were manageable and then 17 days later my hair started to fall out.

I'm going in for the 4th (of 6) infusions on 11/24. After I finish (sometime in January), I was told to schedule a mammogram and then once that was done, I'll start my 33 radiation treatments.

Take a deep breath and know that it will be ok.

(((Hugs)))
    JoAnn
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    We always imagine it worse
    We always imagine it worse then it turns out to be. I am done with chemo and had surgery on the 1st on Nov, ( Modified radical mastectomy right side ). I still have to have Rads but have not started yet. My Dr says I have to get me drain out and heal first. So it will be Dec before I get started with radiation. I also have to have 6 weeks of rads. Drink allot of water to flush it out of your kidneys and liver it don't need to sit in your organs. Take some thing to do while you are sitting there. Word books play cards, watch t.v. it can get boring. You can also take some snacks if you will be there at lunch time. My center passed lunch out but it was pretty bland. hope all goes well for you. take care Kay,
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138

We always imagine it worse then it turns out to be. I am done with chemo and had surgery on the 1st on Nov, ( Modified radical mastectomy right side ). I still have to have Rads but have not started yet. My Dr says I have to get me drain out and heal first. So it will be Dec before I get started with radiation. I also have to have 6 weeks of rads. Drink allot of water to flush it out of your kidneys and liver it don't need to sit in your organs. Take some thing to do while you are sitting there. Word books play cards, watch t.v. it can get boring. You can also take some snacks if you will be there at lunch time. My center passed lunch out but it was pretty bland. hope all goes well for you. take care Kay,

Good thoughts
    I can't add much to what everyone else has said. For me it was not near as bad as I thought it would be. Just getting started did make me feel like I was doing something to the beast too! Prayers being said for you. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Good Attitude!
    The sooner you start, the sooner it's over. You have had lot of good advice already, water, food, ect.. My chemo infusions were 5-6 hr. so I always asked them to give me a little ativan in the cocktail. Helped me sleep through the infusion and on the trip home too. It's not the infusion, but what effects the chemo has on your body that can really take you down, and of course you won't know that until you get started. Just remenber they can help with just about any side-effect you might have and it's a insurance policy for a longer life. God bless you and I'll keep you in my prayers..alison
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

I didn't have chemo, but, I
    I didn't have chemo, but, I started rads about 6 weeks after my lumpectomy. Don't be afraid of rads, they will kill stray cancer cells.

Good luck, Jan
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    hugs sent your way
    I remember being scared very well! But, you have now started the journey and are on your way. It may get bumpy along the way, but you will come out of the tunnel where we are all here waiting for you. I, like you, wanted to keep this thing rolling....started the rads 2 1/2 weeks after my last chemo cycle........keep in touch on this board for support when you need it, questions answered, etc. Good luck and hugs!
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    cavediver said:

hugs sent your way
    I remember being scared very well! But, you have now started the journey and are on your way. It may get bumpy along the way, but you will come out of the tunnel where we are all here waiting for you. I, like you, wanted to keep this thing rolling....started the rads 2 1/2 weeks after my last chemo cycle........keep in touch on this board for support when you need it, questions answered, etc. Good luck and hugs!

Hi Ccincin
    Good Luck tomorrow! i have chemo also I'll be thinking and praying for you.

Hugs MollyZ
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    mollyz said:

Hi Ccincin
    Good Luck tomorrow! i have chemo also I'll be thinking and praying for you.

Hugs MollyZ

thinking of you hoping its
    thinking of you hoping its going well.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Hoping
    your first chemo went well today. I'll have #6 (final) next Tuesday. I've had minor side effects. The worse is the fatigue!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • cahjah75 said:

Hoping
    your first chemo went well today. I'll have #6 (final) next Tuesday. I've had minor side effects. The worse is the fatigue!
    {{hugs}} Char

Hope you're hanging in there, CC!
    I start my first Cocktail on Monday so I, too, know what anxieties you experienced :) Hope all went ok for you, today, and that you pass this phase with flying colors!!

Blessings and Hugs,
    Stace
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Finally done!
    I just finished 9 months of treatment and am seeing my oncologist tomorrow for the last time in a while, hopefully! Chemo first, mastectomy 3 weeks later, physical therapy for 4 weeks to get movement in my arm so I could position it for radiation, then 28 radiation treatments. So glad it's over! You will get there - just take it one day at a time.
  • Suzie-Q-Z
    Suzie-Q-Z Member Posts: 40
    first chemo treatment
    My first was Thursday too! and oddly enough, I was excited too, couldn't wait to finally be doing something. I only have 8 cycles but every other week, done the end of Feb. Then Hormone therapy till Dec. 2011. How are you feeling so far? Me, I'm loving the prescriptions, no real side effects yet. keep your chin up
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Good Attitude!
    The sooner you start, the sooner it's over. You have had lot of good advice already, water, food, ect.. My chemo infusions were 5-6 hr. so I always asked them to give me a little ativan in the cocktail. Helped me sleep through the infusion and on the trip home too. It's not the infusion, but what effects the chemo has on your body that can really take you down, and of course you won't know that until you get started. Just remenber they can help with just about any side-effect you might have and it's a insurance policy for a longer life. God bless you and I'll keep you in my prayers..alison

Sending you big hugs and
    Sending you big hugs and lots of good luck!

Hugs, Leeza