nipples and antidepressants on Tamoxifen

confused123
confused123 Member Posts: 251
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello everone, it has been so long since I have been here. Hello to old friends and new. I found this discussion board so helpful during diagnosis, surgeries and chemo. I am looking for some more answers if anyone can help.

1. I had double mastectomy and implants. I am not sure if I want nipples. I know of 2 people who got them, one likes them and said they make her feel more womanly and another said she prefered the implants before nipples. Anyone out there have an opinion.

2. My OB put me on Zoloft for BAD PMS. The pharmacy I went to fill it out at said it interacted with my Tamoxifen. The medication was switched to Celexa which the pharmacy said was fine. I called my Oncologist to make sure she was ok with it. The studies online say there is no indication that people on Celexa have a higher rate of bc reoccurence. The pharmacist at my oncologists office said it was ok and then my oncologist said "no" take Effexor. UGH...is anyone on Celexa and Tamoxifen?

Thanks

Kim

Comments

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    I am
    I had taken Paxil for several years. Before I started Tamoxifen my Onc. switched me to Celaxa. I have been on the Tamoxifen for 3 months and the Celaxa for about 4. My Onc. and pharmacist both said it was ok. I did look online too and Celaxa was one of the antidepresants that was ok to take with tamoxifen. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • confused123

I am
    I had taken Paxil for several years. Before I started Tamoxifen my Onc. switched me to Celaxa. I have been on the Tamoxifen for 3 months and the Celaxa for about 4. My Onc. and pharmacist both said it was ok. I did look online too and Celaxa was one of the antidepresants that was ok to take with tamoxifen. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Thank you!

Thank you!
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431

Thank you!

Thank you!

Celexa
    I have been on Celexa for about 3 yrs. Took it while on Tamoxifen and now I'm on Arimidex and still take it. My onco is fine with it...I know it's one that doesn't interfere with the effectiveness of Tamoxifen.

Best to you,

Patti
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Him
    I've been on zoloft for

Him
    I've been on zoloft for years. My Onc told me that zoloft was one of those "borderline" drugs as far as tomoxifen goes & that I could continue to take it. Could be because I'm a very low receptor for extrogen (1-4%).
    I was worried about switching anti-depressants because I've had problems in the past with finding a good one to treat my manic-depression that i was diagnosed with in my early 20's, and zoloft is the one for me, with no side effects, and makes me feel like me. I tried Effexor years ago and DID NOT like it!
    As far as the specific antidepressents go, it's not like certain meds actually cause reoccurence-rather certain anti depressants can cause the Tamoxifen to work less efficiently, thus contributing to the reoccurence.
    I just had my exchange surgery 2 days ago, but I've been trying to decide if i want my nipples done also. I'm still undecided, but I have a while before I have to worry about that!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member

Him
    I've been on zoloft for

Him
    I've been on zoloft for years. My Onc told me that zoloft was one of those "borderline" drugs as far as tomoxifen goes & that I could continue to take it. Could be because I'm a very low receptor for extrogen (1-4%).
    I was worried about switching anti-depressants because I've had problems in the past with finding a good one to treat my manic-depression that i was diagnosed with in my early 20's, and zoloft is the one for me, with no side effects, and makes me feel like me. I tried Effexor years ago and DID NOT like it!
    As far as the specific antidepressents go, it's not like certain meds actually cause reoccurence-rather certain anti depressants can cause the Tamoxifen to work less efficiently, thus contributing to the reoccurence.
    I just had my exchange surgery 2 days ago, but I've been trying to decide if i want my nipples done also. I'm still undecided, but I have a while before I have to worry about that!
    *hugs*
    Heather

effexor
    I had been on wellbutrin and zoloft for several years ... and they workded just fine for me. But ... a couple of months before I was to start tamoxifen ... the study came out indicating that both of those drugs were not to be taken with tamoxifen. After talking with my oncologist we decided I'd switch to effexor ... but do it gradually ... and give my system time to get used to the new drug. So over a period of a couple of weeks I slowly switched to effexor ... and then started the tamoxifen. I was very apprehensive about making the switch ... and almost told the oncologist I wouldn't take tamoxifen becuase I'd found anti-depressants that worked for me and I didn't want to mess with them. But ... he insisted that I take tamoxifen ... and the switch went very smoothly ... thank goodness!

hugs.
    Teena
  • confused123
    tgf said:

effexor
    I had been on wellbutrin and zoloft for several years ... and they workded just fine for me. But ... a couple of months before I was to start tamoxifen ... the study came out indicating that both of those drugs were not to be taken with tamoxifen. After talking with my oncologist we decided I'd switch to effexor ... but do it gradually ... and give my system time to get used to the new drug. So over a period of a couple of weeks I slowly switched to effexor ... and then started the tamoxifen. I was very apprehensive about making the switch ... and almost told the oncologist I wouldn't take tamoxifen becuase I'd found anti-depressants that worked for me and I didn't want to mess with them. But ... he insisted that I take tamoxifen ... and the switch went very smoothly ... thank goodness!

hugs.
    Teena

Thank you everyone. When I
    Thank you everyone. When I felt so lost I knew this was the place to come. I think I may just take the Celexa. Thank you all for being so open with the meds you take, it is making me feel more normal. I am not thrilled about taking anything but I need to feel myself in order to raise my kids the way I want and to be able to enjoy the days that have been given to me.

Hi tgf, long time, hope you are well. You were here when I was going through hell, I remember.

Kim
  • confused123

Thank you everyone. When I
    Thank you everyone. When I felt so lost I knew this was the place to come. I think I may just take the Celexa. Thank you all for being so open with the meds you take, it is making me feel more normal. I am not thrilled about taking anything but I need to feel myself in order to raise my kids the way I want and to be able to enjoy the days that have been given to me.

Hi tgf, long time, hope you are well. You were here when I was going through hell, I remember.

Kim

Also, Heather, hope your
    Also, Heather, hope your recovery goes well. It definitely does take a few months for the implants to settle. I was kind of upset at first with my radiated side, it did get better though. Good luck with your decision with the nipples. I am still undecided although my skin is so thin on my right side that my doc has to put fat injections in before I will know if that side will even hold a nipple. So the decision may be made for me.

Kim
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Took Effexor XR While on Tamoxifen
    It not only helps with depression, but with hot flashes from the Tamoxifen. It doesn't get rid of them completely, but helps.

As for the nipple thing, I had a mastectomy on only one side. There was about a 3 week gap between the time I had my implant and the time they did the minor nipple surgery. I'm glad I did it as it was weird to see to breasts, but only one with a nipple. Just didn't seem right! LOL. The procedure was no big deal, but looks really kind of gross until it heals completely. Then you have to get the color put on. But after it all heals, you can hardly tell which one is the original and which is the "man made" one! LOL.

Sally
  • confused123
    sal314 said:

Took Effexor XR While on Tamoxifen
    It not only helps with depression, but with hot flashes from the Tamoxifen. It doesn't get rid of them completely, but helps.

As for the nipple thing, I had a mastectomy on only one side. There was about a 3 week gap between the time I had my implant and the time they did the minor nipple surgery. I'm glad I did it as it was weird to see to breasts, but only one with a nipple. Just didn't seem right! LOL. The procedure was no big deal, but looks really kind of gross until it heals completely. Then you have to get the color put on. But after it all heals, you can hardly tell which one is the original and which is the "man made" one! LOL.

Sally

Thanks Sally, glad you are
    Thanks Sally, glad you are happy with your new nipple! Thanks for sharing I am leaning towards getting them if my right side is able to get one. Definitely don't want just one.