Da Vinci Hysterectomy scheduled for the 15th of this month

plrptc
plrptc Member Posts: 32
I met with my doctor yesterday for all the pre-op preparations for my surgery this coming Monday.
He mentioned that during the surgery, he will send tissue samples to the lab for further testing. I had a D&C a few weeks ago and was then diagnosed with Grade 1 Uterine Cancer.
My doctor has indicated that the testing of the uterine muscle that will be done during my surgery could bring back a higher grade of cancer.
Does anyone have any experience with this or had their doctor change the cancer grade post surgery?

Comments

• kansasgal
    kansasgal Member Posts: 122 Member
    Various Diagnoses
    My PAP indicated cells suspicious for endometrial adenocarcinoma. The D&C 3 weeks later showed endometrial adenocarcinoma FIGO grade 1. A month later my original staging report (I received this as I was being discharged) post-hysterectomy (open abdominal) showed endometrial adenocarcinoma stage 1b FIGO grade 2. A subsequent updated staging report issued 2 weeks post-hysterectomy ADDED the finding of uterine papillary serous carcinoma (UPSC) stage 1a FIGO grade 3. I subsequently decided to do 6 rounds of carbo/taxol chemo with 3 rounds of brachytherapy after the first 3 rounds of chemo. My active treatment ended October 2009. I go in for check-ups every 3 to 4 months. Currently I am enjoying NED (No Evidence of Disease) status. I return for another check-up and CT scan in January 2011 unless I notice any symptoms of recurrence prior to January.

I hope your surgery finds nothing more than the D&C found - or indeed finds that the D&C actually removed all of the cancer. That really is a possibility!

Hugs from Sally
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    staging
    Most of the time when they do surgery they can really tell exactly the stage and grade. Da Vinci is the way to go. God Bless and believe me, what ever stage, you will be amazed how well you will be able to cope and handle the situation. We women are made of steel and we can endure. One of the lades on this board said something that was so interesting she said "women are like tea bags, they never know how strong they are until they are put in hot water" Be strong my friend, you will be out of the hospital the following day. Take care of your self and do rest. Let us know how you are doing. June
  • plrptc
    nempark said:

staging
    Most of the time when they do surgery they can really tell exactly the stage and grade. Da Vinci is the way to go. God Bless and believe me, what ever stage, you will be amazed how well you will be able to cope and handle the situation. We women are made of steel and we can endure. One of the lades on this board said something that was so interesting she said "women are like tea bags, they never know how strong they are until they are put in hot water" Be strong my friend, you will be out of the hospital the following day. Take care of your self and do rest. Let us know how you are doing. June

Da Vinci Hysterectomy
    My surgery went well and my oncologist says that my cancer was confined to my uterus. During surgery he removed my uterus, ovaries, cervix, Fallopian tubes and some lymph nodes. He did send the lymph nodes off for further testing but does not think they will show any signs of cancer.
    I am now concentrating on recovering from my surgery. I was not quite expecting so much pain since I only had five small incisions versus a lateral incision across my abdomen. The worse pain that I have experienced was shoulder pain from the gas that was pumped into me. That pain literally brought me to my knees. I wish that my doctor had warned me about that. It was the most excruciating pain that I have ever has. Has anyone else experienced it?
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    plrptc said:

Da Vinci Hysterectomy
    My surgery went well and my oncologist says that my cancer was confined to my uterus. During surgery he removed my uterus, ovaries, cervix, Fallopian tubes and some lymph nodes. He did send the lymph nodes off for further testing but does not think they will show any signs of cancer.
    I am now concentrating on recovering from my surgery. I was not quite expecting so much pain since I only had five small incisions versus a lateral incision across my abdomen. The worse pain that I have experienced was shoulder pain from the gas that was pumped into me. That pain literally brought me to my knees. I wish that my doctor had warned me about that. It was the most excruciating pain that I have ever has. Has anyone else experienced it?

Speedy recovery
    I am so happy everything went well for you. I did have DaVinci-just a little discomfort, but both of my shoulders were badly bruised it looked like burns and did accumulate water exactly like burns. They hurt. I did not get a good explanation for why that happened only that it was the straps. (one year later and now I am mad lol)Any way I am in remission and I am sure you will be soon. Rest and be well. June
  • plrptc
    nempark said:

Speedy recovery
    I am so happy everything went well for you. I did have DaVinci-just a little discomfort, but both of my shoulders were badly bruised it looked like burns and did accumulate water exactly like burns. They hurt. I did not get a good explanation for why that happened only that it was the straps. (one year later and now I am mad lol)Any way I am in remission and I am sure you will be soon. Rest and be well. June

Thank you for your reply and
    Thank you for your reply and glad to hear you are in remission.
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member
    plrptc said:

Da Vinci Hysterectomy

I had my total hysterectomy via the DaVinci method and I had no shoulder discomfort and very little abdominal discomfort. Think I took a couple of pain pills the day I got home and maybe one the next day and that was it.

Am glad your surgery is over but sorry that you are having such discomfort. Hopefully by today you are feeling MUCH better!

Best wishes to you!

Karen
  • plrptc
    kkstef said:

I had my total hysterectomy via the DaVinci method and I had no shoulder discomfort and very little abdominal discomfort. Think I took a couple of pain pills the day I got home and maybe one the next day and that was it.

Am glad your surgery is over but sorry that you are having such discomfort. Hopefully by today you are feeling MUCH better!

Best wishes to you!

Karen

kkstef
    Thank you for your concern. Recovery is almost complete. Still a bit sore.
    I was a video on the actualy Da Vinci surgery....oh my gosh, there is no wonder why I am still hurting!
    If you are interested in watching it, please visit...

http://www.orlive.com/broward-health/videos/da-vinci-hysterectomy