Disability

Chefrox
Chefrox Member Posts: 32
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Have any of you tried or been approved for Disabled Social Security through all of this? I just quit my job to do college and hoped to work in that field but I can't imagine anyone wanting to hire me during all of this. I volunteer in my field for my credit hours but I wanted to work too.

Thanks Ya'll
Chef Rox

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Chef-
    I applied for

Hi Chef-
    I applied for disability & was denied. They said my diagnosis would not "put me in a position to not be able to work for 12 consecutive months".
    Good luck to you!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

Hi Chef-
    I applied for

Hi Chef-
    I applied for disability & was denied. They said my diagnosis would not "put me in a position to not be able to work for 12 consecutive months".
    Good luck to you!
    *hugs*
    Heather

wow..sorry to hear
    so many on it that shouldn't be and yet with something like cancer you can't get even if temporary...so sorry...
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    FMLA
    I am sure they feel covered under FMLA even though no income while using it! good luck.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member

wow..sorry to hear
    so many on it that shouldn't be and yet with something like cancer you can't get even if temporary...so sorry...

I agree with you 100% on
    I agree with you 100% on many are on Disability and can work---They just don't want to!I know of 2 people. On is a mental disability(she had been addicted to prescription drugs) Oxycondone. She had been a nurse-RN and she threw her career away by stealing the patients pain meds. So she was so wacked out for awhile, but now she is better, but STILL gets a monthly disability check. This woman also is afraid to get a mammogram----Her mother died from breast cancer.
    The second person I know, goes to the Gym I belong to. Supposedly he was in several car accidents and has a bad back. He says he can't sit or stand for any longer than 30 mins at a time, yada yada yada.
    I think people like this make it harder for cancer patients to get disability.

Sorry for my rant, but it's just not fair.
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    Chefrox,
    I don't know where

Chefrox,

I don't know where you live, but in California there is Disability Income coverage and even Paid Family Leave benefits if a family member needs to be off work to care for you.
  • Jean T. Szabo
    Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
    Disability
    If you are working your employment is guaranteed under the American's with Disabilities Act if you have Cancer. Your employer cannot fire you. Disability can be applied for on-line; not sure bu if someone like a parent already is on social security there might be some family benefits there.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Terminal or IBC to Qualify for SSD
    Hi,

This is the website for SSD for Neoplastic diseases:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/13.00-NeoplasticDiseases-Malignant-Adult.htm

I believe you need to be stage IV (terminal) or have inflammatory breast cancer to qualify.

I have worked through out all my medical problems which includes more than breast cancer, recurrences and now stage IV. My belief has always been that the grim reaper can't find you if your not home. I am in my 16th year with BC. My oncologist said that I'm a shoo in with stage IV and my other medical problems which also qualifies me for SSD. I rather work for as long as I can. It's not easy but it is do able.

I have a Disability Placard for my car. I am certain people look at me at times and wonder if I am not using some family member's placard. Don't judge people's disability because one can't always see them. Some days are worse than others, some days I do really need that space. The thing is, in the morning I might be fine, when I leave, I often am not.

SIROD
  • kjrpcb
    kjrpcb Member Posts: 41
    Disability
    Social security is hard to qualify for as a rule. The program is meant for people with conditions that will end in death or that are incapable of doing any type of work. However, most states have programs intended for the short term disabilities such as BC. Look in your phone book under state disability. In California it's an automated procedure and easy to apply. Good luck to you.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    kjrpcb said:

Disability
    Social security is hard to qualify for as a rule. The program is meant for people with conditions that will end in death or that are incapable of doing any type of work. However, most states have programs intended for the short term disabilities such as BC. Look in your phone book under state disability. In California it's an automated procedure and easy to apply. Good luck to you.

You can apply for ss disability after 5 months disabled.
    You must be unable to do any job which is difficult to qualify for. The disability must also be expected to last a year or more. Not easy to get for sure. Some states mandate STD, but CT does not. NY, NJ and RI do require employers to purchase short term disability but it has limits in monthly benefit. Call your state dept. of insurance to check what is available in your state.

Roseann
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I'm on SSDI
    but have been for 2 years. I couldn't drive a car for 18 months and have permanent disability with my shoulders. Several drs had to fill out forms and I was accepted without question. Having cancer has not been easy but certainly doable. My sisters both continued working full time and so didn't a friend of mine.
    Char
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    different states different rules
    go apply for temporary and see hwat happens.
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I did get disability SS. I
    I did get disability SS. I was told that some cancers automatically qualifies I have inflammatory breast cancer. I applied on line at there site and was approved in a couple of weeks. I had to wait 5 months for the first check ( waiting period ) I don't know why they do that. I have also applied for medicaid but have not received that. I will be glad when I can go back to work. The disability don't pay for much in the way of bills. But it is better then nothing. Good luck Kay
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    You would be surprised about
    You would be surprised about being hired. I work fulltime and just applied for an additional "flex" position. I was completely honest about my health: heart attack, back surgery, depression and cancer (Stage 4). Guess what, I have been offered the job. Employers can't discriminate if you are up front with them and you are qualified.