Chemo

Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
How does the Onc. know how many chemo sessions are needed? Is there any type of test that indicates the secret number or is it an education estimate on his part? Has anyone ever had less Chemo than Onc. recommended?

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Jean .. from what I know only .. this is based on the
    doctors and hospital's afflation with breast cancer groups, research etc. St. Joseph's Hospital out here in California - and UCLA together .. perform clinical trials, share research data and publish results - therefore, they have a set SOP - Standard Operating Procedure and drug infusion prescription for women with breast cancer. Your diagnosis - tumor size - and type of breast cancer .. all factor into their course of treatment - length of treatment, and options .. i.e. lumpectomy vs bilateral or lateral mact'my.

I researched and found a Cancer Center .. active in clinical trials and well published, and teaching Doctors. My Breast Cancer doctor, Dr. Harness is in Austriala several times a years - teaching and training new techniques - sharing chemo drug information, providing another Country with information to help save women's lifes out in the Outback .. Just my thing ..

Research, read and go on line .. gather as much information to help you have all the information .. before starting or selecting a Cancer Center - if time and insurance permitting.

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Good question Jean. Sorry,
    Good question Jean. Sorry, but, I don't know. Hoping to see the reply's to this.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Jean
    I don't know how they decide what or how many. When I first met my oncologist he told me I would be getting 4-6 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan. Next Tuesday I will have #6 (final) treatment. I can't wait. I've been so tired. Most side effects have been mild enough to control but the fatigue is cummulative. Wishing you the best.
    {{hugs}} Char