I should start a log.....

Options
nancy591
nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
on all the different ways my 7yr old has come up with to cure cancer. From the weird 'why can't they just use a big shovel?" (A shovel???) To the simplistic, "can't you just find a doctor who knows how to get rid of the cancer?"

Some nights he says to me, "Mom, I'm so happy you are still alive"

It must weigh on his mind more than I realize. I can't help but wonder what will become of the children? The Mom is ... well... the Mom.

feeling blue...

Comments

• Lisa13Q
    Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
    Options
    Dear Nancy
    Your post makes me really sad. Since I don't have children, I can't even begin to understand what you are going through....I don't want to give you false hope and say, it's going to be ok; but maybe it's going to be better than you think...Have you and your husband discussed the what ifs? Has he assured you that should the worst happen, that he will be the best father ever? Maybe you need to have those conversations and talk about things you would want to see happen...then if you get healthy, there's no loss, but if you get sicker you can feel more comfortable...I had a friend in Conn, with stage 4 OVCA...Her son used to run home from school everyday just to "see if Mom was still there"....She is cancer free now and he is doing great...I do think, though, if you are so worried, plan and talk to hubby....make tapes....my grandmother left me special gifts....ALL THIS being said, I have more hope for you than you do I think...My understanding was last CT scan, was pretty good.....
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Gosh, Nancy, that is so
    Gosh, Nancy, that is so bittersweet, and you know, even when the mom's babies are moms and dads themselves, the mom, as you say, "is still the mom." My baby is 36 and I worry about what will become of her and her brothers.

Carlene
  • srwruns
    srwruns Member Posts: 343
    Options
    I struggle horribly when I
    I struggle horribly when I see women with young children. My son is 19 and in college so I feel he is reasonably launched but I still struggle with if something were to happen I don't want him to lose pace with his studies. I'm just at the start of this cancer journey so I feel pretty optimistic I will see him graduate in two years but I hate the thought of the condition he will see me in over the next couple months. We've always lived a very robust outdoor life and I don't know how he will react when he sees me "frail up"....hopefully for just a few months. From the time I was pregnant I wrote a page a day in journals to my son. I still do. That is the legacy I have always planned on leaving him, either sooner or later.
    Hug those kids, keep them close. Susan
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Options
    srwruns said:

I struggle horribly when I
    I struggle horribly when I see women with young children. My son is 19 and in college so I feel he is reasonably launched but I still struggle with if something were to happen I don't want him to lose pace with his studies. I'm just at the start of this cancer journey so I feel pretty optimistic I will see him graduate in two years but I hate the thought of the condition he will see me in over the next couple months. We've always lived a very robust outdoor life and I don't know how he will react when he sees me "frail up"....hopefully for just a few months. From the time I was pregnant I wrote a page a day in journals to my son. I still do. That is the legacy I have always planned on leaving him, either sooner or later.
    Hug those kids, keep them close. Susan

Susan, if you are scheduled
    Susan, if you are scheduled for Carbol/Taxol, my experience was that the first infusion was no picnic, but they got easier and easier. I did, however, require 6 units of blood to get me thru the whole regimen.

If you are getting Taxol, you will lose your hair - most likely every hair on your body. That's a shocker for many people, family included.

You won't be so "frail" as you will just be tired. It's the toll that the chemo takes on the body's blood cells. Red and white cells both fall, as a general rule.

They have great anti-nausea meds these days. The nausea and vomiting are not nearly as bad as they were decades ago.

These were my experiences. Your mileage may vary.

Carlene
  • Mum2bellaandwilliam
    Options
    As Carlene says bitter sweet!
    My 3 year old, has asked what is wrong with nanny, we chose not to say anything to start with but after the surgery , I felt I had to because nanny couldn't drive , couldn't be jumped upon etc. I told her straight in a 3 year Old language though, I hated saying the word cancer to her but hey it is what it is.
    On a lighter note she told her nursery teacher that her nanny has spells in her tummy!!! Lol bless her heart.
    On Saturday she went to mums for an hour and asked her when she could stay the night, mum said in a few weeks.the response was' what after your last chemo '!!! , I couldn't believe it when mum told me, it is amazing what they pick up on even at 3.
    Thankgod she hasn't asked if nanny Is going to die, god that would be a tricky one, she is very inquisitive and doesn't miss a trick , when I explained to her about mum and what cancer was I got a million questions then! I was thinking oh ****! Where is this leading to now. Bless her.
    I think she thinks about it a bit as well ,she is forever making her cards and picking flowers (or weeds!) to make nanny better.
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options

As Carlene says bitter sweet!
    My 3 year old, has asked what is wrong with nanny, we chose not to say anything to start with but after the surgery , I felt I had to because nanny couldn't drive , couldn't be jumped upon etc. I told her straight in a 3 year Old language though, I hated saying the word cancer to her but hey it is what it is.
    On a lighter note she told her nursery teacher that her nanny has spells in her tummy!!! Lol bless her heart.
    On Saturday she went to mums for an hour and asked her when she could stay the night, mum said in a few weeks.the response was' what after your last chemo '!!! , I couldn't believe it when mum told me, it is amazing what they pick up on even at 3.
    Thankgod she hasn't asked if nanny Is going to die, god that would be a tricky one, she is very inquisitive and doesn't miss a trick , when I explained to her about mum and what cancer was I got a million questions then! I was thinking oh ****! Where is this leading to now. Bless her.
    I think she thinks about it a bit as well ,she is forever making her cards and picking flowers (or weeds!) to make nanny better.

My 10-yr-old granddaughter asked me just this past weekend...
    My 10-year-old granddaughter asked me Saturday night, as she was falling asleep at her weekly sleep-over with Grammy, "Do you think this cancer will kill you one day, Grammy?" There was nothing to do but be honest and say "Yes, probably. But not any time really soon. I think we have some more time together." She then asked "How will I know when it's going to happen?" I said "I'll probably get real skinny like Jack Skellington ('The Nightmare Before Christmas'), but I'll tell you if I know. No time soon." She seemed satisfied with that.

We are VERY close, as I watched her from birth when her parents worked and she was (and is) like my own little baby in my heart. But I had also thought/hoped that she didn't dwell or worry about my cancer any more now that my journey is over 2 years. I know that I will leave her with her loving parents and can't imagine Nancy's situation. (((((Nancy))))). I think about you all the time, Nancy.

My grandson is 8 and he simply refuses to believe I won't get well, seems rock sure of it and tells me regularly that I will be well soon. I always just say "Boy; I hope so." I think you have to follow their lead. Sucks.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Options

My 10-yr-old granddaughter asked me just this past weekend...
    My 10-year-old granddaughter asked me Saturday night, as she was falling asleep at her weekly sleep-over with Grammy, "Do you think this cancer will kill you one day, Grammy?" There was nothing to do but be honest and say "Yes, probably. But not any time really soon. I think we have some more time together." She then asked "How will I know when it's going to happen?" I said "I'll probably get real skinny like Jack Skellington ('The Nightmare Before Christmas'), but I'll tell you if I know. No time soon." She seemed satisfied with that.

We are VERY close, as I watched her from birth when her parents worked and she was (and is) like my own little baby in my heart. But I had also thought/hoped that she didn't dwell or worry about my cancer any more now that my journey is over 2 years. I know that I will leave her with her loving parents and can't imagine Nancy's situation. (((((Nancy))))). I think about you all the time, Nancy.

My grandson is 8 and he simply refuses to believe I won't get well, seems rock sure of it and tells me regularly that I will be well soon. I always just say "Boy; I hope so." I think you have to follow their lead. Sucks.

Linda....I raised a
    Linda....I raised a granddaughter and my illness has been as hard on her, I think, as it has on my children. Maybe because she is younger (18). Senior year of high school she had to keep a memory book, with photos, mementos, etc. Looking thru it after graduation, I was struck by how many times I read, "My Nana". I don't know for sure if I was simply on her mind more often than normal because of my illness, but I have to assume that was the case. I hate that the most important year of her whole pre-college life was over-shadowed by Cancer.
  • Mum2bellaandwilliam
    Options

Linda....I raised a
    Linda....I raised a granddaughter and my illness has been as hard on her, I think, as it has on my children. Maybe because she is younger (18). Senior year of high school she had to keep a memory book, with photos, mementos, etc. Looking thru it after graduation, I was struck by how many times I read, "My Nana". I don't know for sure if I was simply on her mind more often than normal because of my illness, but I have to assume that was the case. I hate that the most important year of her whole pre-college life was over-shadowed by Cancer.

It is so ****.
    God it really and truly does suck. Reading back through the posts brings tears to my eyes , our poor babies , bloody cancer stinks, it just makes me so angry.
  • clamryn
    clamryn Member Posts: 508
    Options
    This is a tough subject
    Nancy, Like I said once before, I think about you a lot with those little boys. This is the part that makes me cry. But you know what....they really are your medicine.

One day, my grandson (12) came with my daughter-in-law to pick me up at the doctor's office after a chemo treatment. I got so sick when I got into the car. He was trying to help me and I had to tell him to back up. I couldn't help it. I had to go back into the building. I got better and came back out. While they waited on me, his mom said that he was so upset. I hated that he saw that. And you know....that hurt me even worse. This is the part of cancer that I hate. I hate that my family has to suffer too.

Linda
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Oh Nancy,
    this made me cry. When I grieve my losses, I always think about my kids more than anything else.

I did 2 therapy sessions last summer with a therapist about this issue. It is hard to trust that our kids will be ok with anyone but us. That is becasue you are a dedicated and loving mom. The key for me is going the next step and believing that God loves them just as much and will take care of them, some how. I'm slowly starting to believe that, but it is so hard. It feels like trying to undo a fist that is super-glued shut.

Sending love and hugs to you today, my friend,
    kathleen
  • kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Cancer does suck
    Even though we all have the same disease, there are so many variations on the theme. You have the added burden of worrying about your little ones. I pray you will be around to see them as adults.

My son turned 30 on Saturday. I worry so about him. He is my only child and his dad died three years ago. Apart from my mom who is 86 every one else is extended family. I can't stand the thought of him being alone. Most of the time the hardest part of this illness is what it does to my loved ones.

Karen
  • kellyh33
    kellyh33 Member Posts: 287
    Options
    The children
    Of course you feel blue, who wouldn't? Also remember you have a lot of things on your side your age being one of them!
    Kids do think about it more then we realize. My 14 year old talks to me about it quite a bit. I must say after Mom's attempted operation mom was very upset and she decided she wasn't going to do anymore chemo. Nobody knew what to say to her to try to lift her spirits and to make her try. Kelsey walked right up to my mom looked her straight in the eye and said "Goo, (her nickname) you kick this thing right in the ****." First i was shocked because my girls don't usually swear and then i was proud. It was what Mom needed to hear and she has been trying to kick it ever since. Three treatments later, she is finally starting to put on weight and she is fighting back.
    You will fight it too! Don't think of yourself as a Cancer patient think of yourself as a survivor. You are here right now and you aren't going anywhere anytime soon!
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    the children
    I have three grand daughters, 4,6 & 9 and my greatest fear is that I won't be around long enough for them to remember me and how much I love them. I can imagine your pain with your sons being so young. I had thyroid cancer when my boys were 5 and 4 months old. It was self contained and curable, but all I could think of was my children.

I hate this disease.... Maria
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Hi Nancy
    Children just say it how it is don't they? My children are grown up now but I still think it is tough on them.

Hang in there xxxxx
  • leesag
    leesag Member Posts: 621 Member
    Options

Hi Nancy
    Children just say it how it is don't they? My children are grown up now but I still think it is tough on them.

Hang in there xxxxx

Edited Post
    I reread what I wrote last night, and realized, there are no words. You are loved and your children know how much you love them. Your love will be with them for the rest of their lives, and, God Willing, you'll be with them for a long, long time, too.

Hugs.
    Leesa