Been dealing with birth, death and illness this past week.

cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My granddaughter was born on Thursday, Nov 4 and my dad died Sunday, Nov 7 from a heart attack. He was 84 and lived a full life. However my father's wife was not going to do anything but have him cremated. My sisters and I wrote an obiturary and had a memorial service for him on Friday, Nov 12. The chaplain of the VFW did a very nice job. My dad was a WWII vet and had retired from the National Guard after 20 years. The VFW was home to him. While all this was going on I went to my pcp because of my cough and now I have laryngitis! I've had the cough for 8 weeks now. I've had laryngitis since last Monday. Not being able to talk for 8 days is rough. I can't talk on the phone. Very frustrating!
I went for blood work today and even though it's ok I was reprimanded because I didn't call my onco when I had a fever of 101.2 on Sunday. My temp is back to normal and I'm hoping I can have my 6th and final chemo next Tuesday.
I'm going to try to catch up to the posts but sure I will miss a lot.
Char

Comments

• weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Wow
    What a rough couple of weeks!
    So sorry for your loss of your father, and on the other hand Congrats on your new Granddaughter.
    I hope you will be feeling better soon.
    Take care of yourself Char.

Hugs...Karie
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Char,
    Hope you are on the mend. Sounds like a very stressful few weeks for you and your family. Glad your chemo is almost over.Take good care of yourself.
    Sending wishes for a peaceful holiday season to you and yours.
    Hugs, K
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    November just started and you have a lot on your plate.
    First, I would like to extend my sympathy on the loss of your father. The angels took him to heaven where he is watching over his love ones, especially the new baby. I am happy to hear what you and your sister did to honor your father. I know it made you feel good, but it also gave you closure.

How exciting to have a granddaughter. Congratulations! I believe that some births take the place of a death. I loss my only sister, then learned of my daughter's pregnancy, which gave us a granddaughter. Two years later I loss my dearest aunt, and later was told of daughter's pregnancy giving us another granddaughter.

Good luck with your final chemo. Hopefully, your voice will be back by Thanksgiving.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    What a mixture of joy and
    What a mixture of joy and sorrow. Although your dad had a wonderful life it is never easy to lose a parent. Glad you had the closure that you needed.
    Enjoy that new grandchild. They are truly a medicine to us.
    Glad the blood work was okay and that the fever is gone. It is important to call your onc when a fever occurs but I can see how you might have wanted to wait and see if it cleared up. Happy that you will soon be having your final chemo. Hooray to that.
    Stef
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Char,
    I was wondering where you have been. First, congratulations on the birth of your new granddaughter!!! That's wonderful. Thank heaven for little girls! However, I am sorry to hear about your Dad. My deepest sympathy goes out to you and the rest of your family.

Now you have to rest and try to get yourself back to normal so that you can have your last chemo on Tuesday!!! We will all be waiting to do the dance with you. Hugs, Jean
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Char, I'm so sorry for the
    Char, I'm so sorry for the loss of you Dad, I know it is hard to have joy and sorrow at the same time. Your Dad is a angel now. He will watch that baby girl grow up from heaven. and I am sure he is watching over his little girl. {{{HUGS}}} Take care Sweetheart Kay,
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Sorry
    So sorry to hear of the loss of your father; I'm sure it must be a tough time for you. Congratulations on the new grandbaby! There is nothing so precious as a new little one to love! And good luck on your final chemo.
    Linda
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    linpsu said:

Sorry
    So sorry to hear of the loss of your father; I'm sure it must be a tough time for you. Congratulations on the new grandbaby! There is nothing so precious as a new little one to love! And good luck on your final chemo.
    Linda

extremes
    You've experienced the extremes of life within a short period of time. The death of a parent is a difficult time. I'm sorry for your loss. The birth of a granchild is a blessed occurance, congratulations on your new granddaughter. An illness falls somewhere in between, hope you feel better soon. Best wishes. Marsha
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member

extremes
    You've experienced the extremes of life within a short period of time. The death of a parent is a difficult time. I'm sorry for your loss. The birth of a granchild is a blessed occurance, congratulations on your new granddaughter. An illness falls somewhere in between, hope you feel better soon. Best wishes. Marsha

Extremes is right. So sorry
    Extremes is right. So sorry about your Dad passing. I'm glad he was able to know he had a new grandchild before he passed. Congrats on your granddaughter.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    weazer said:

Wow
    What a rough couple of weeks!
    So sorry for your loss of your father, and on the other hand Congrats on your new Granddaughter.
    I hope you will be feeling better soon.
    Take care of yourself Char.

Hugs...Karie

Very sorry about your
    Very sorry about your Father. And, hope you feel better soon. You have had a lot on your plate.

Hugs, Megan
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Sorry to hear
    about the loss of your father. Losing a parent is difficult at best. Take the love you had for him and share it with your new grandaughter. Get some rest and feel better soon.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    ladyg said:

Sorry to hear
    about the loss of your father. Losing a parent is difficult at best. Take the love you had for him and share it with your new grandaughter. Get some rest and feel better soon.

Hugs,
    Georgia

Char .. I am so very sorry for your loss, and all that
    you and your sisters have been thru. I too would of scolded you for not contacting your Oncologist with 102 fever - It is difficult, I realize - but you really, really need to put 'YOU' .. and your health up there will all your other worries! Losing a parent is most difficult - and not to have your honored, terrible... terrible. May you gain strength in the next few days ...

Strength, Courage and Peace

Vicki Sam
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    ^j^ ^j^
    The sisters here

^j^ ^j^

The sisters here on the boards have expressed things so eloquently; I simply want to add my heartfelt condolences and equally as heartfelt congratulations. May you surround yourself with good loving memeories of your father, as you also look forward to loving a new grandbaby very soon. And by all means, take care of yourself!!!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    chenheart said:

^j^ ^j^
    The sisters here

^j^ ^j^

The sisters here on the boards have expressed things so eloquently; I simply want to add my heartfelt condolences and equally as heartfelt congratulations. May you surround yourself with good loving memeories of your father, as you also look forward to loving a new grandbaby very soon. And by all means, take care of yourself!!!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

My deepest sympathy for you
    My deepest sympathy for you Dad. I can't imagine how that must feel. I hope that you know that we all are so very sorry.

Congrats on the new grandbaby. Grandchildren are such a gift!

Hoping you are doing well and update us with pics of the new grandbaby.

Hugs, Leeza
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    wow so much at one time
    Congrats on Granddaughter...sorry about your dad..but since nothing was DONE...why dont' you maybe get other family members or friends and have a little memorial yourselves? NOTHING big...plant tree, make plaque with his name it...just something. (DID he get to see his great grandchild?)
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    fauxma said:

What a mixture of joy and
    What a mixture of joy and sorrow. Although your dad had a wonderful life it is never easy to lose a parent. Glad you had the closure that you needed.
    Enjoy that new grandchild. They are truly a medicine to us.
    Glad the blood work was okay and that the fever is gone. It is important to call your onc when a fever occurs but I can see how you might have wanted to wait and see if it cleared up. Happy that you will soon be having your final chemo. Hooray to that.
    Stef

Stef is so right. This is a
    Stef is so right. This is a mix of happiness and sadness. My sympathy to you and your family for your Father.

And, congrats on the new granchild.

Sue :)
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    ladyg said:

Sorry to hear

Hugs,
    Georgia

A real mix of emotions. I
    A real mix of emotions. I am so sorry for your loss. It must be awful to lose a parent.

And, congrats on the new granddaughter.