My volunteer work for ACS

elm3544
elm3544 Member Posts: 748
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
As I have previously posted, I have volunteered for the Look Good Feel Better program. I had my first day on Monday. All I was required to do was to set up. I however be staying each time to assist if needed and possibly clean up afterwards. The facility at the Mayo clinic is just beautiful. I had never been there before and I was quite impressed with it. They have housing for transplant patients of the hospital and they have housing for cancer patients from out of town. The grounds are beautiful and there is a spectacular view of the desert and mountains. For one in a situation in which this type of facility is required, what a lovely place to be.

Comments

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Sounds Beautiful
    It sounds like a really beautiful place. I think surrondings like that would be nice to have in a situtation like this. Better than the more sterile, medical places that we do have to spend time in. Hope you enjoy your volunteer work. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Sounds Beautiful
    It sounds like a really beautiful place. I think surrondings like that would be nice to have in a situtation like this. Better than the more sterile, medical places that we do have to spend time in. Hope you enjoy your volunteer work. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Thanks!
    Thanks Elm for being so generous with your time to volunteer! You will be great at it!

Sue :)
  • Elm I'm happy to hear you
    Elm I'm happy to hear you loved the experience! I'm very rural in NE michigan and unfortunately we do not have a "group" LG/FB seminar here. The individual ACS put me in touch with (private cosmotologist/beautician) was absolutely rotten on the phone so I called and filed a complaint. She should so NOT be representing the ACS nor LG/FB (there's serious irony eh?). Anyway, I'm doin my best to get in touch with our district office to advocate bringing this program to our "far away land" ha! In the meantime, I'm waiting for the dvd tutortial; it's the best I can start with for now :) Will be thrilled to hear about your continued volunteer work!

Blessings and hugs,
    Stace
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    You Are Going to Love It
    With each day that you volunteer you will see opportunities to interreact with the people participating in the Look Good Feel Better program. You get to see transformations and to see how happy they are with their new look. I know you will come up with a variety of compliments. It is wonderful to bring a smile to another human being, especially one who has cancer. Post once in a while to let us know what's happening.

To be in a beautiful surrounding makes you feel good. Since you say desert and mountains, this is not the Mayo Clinic in Minneapolis.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Elm I'm happy to hear you
    Elm I'm happy to hear you loved the experience! I'm very rural in NE michigan and unfortunately we do not have a "group" LG/FB seminar here. The individual ACS put me in touch with (private cosmotologist/beautician) was absolutely rotten on the phone so I called and filed a complaint. She should so NOT be representing the ACS nor LG/FB (there's serious irony eh?). Anyway, I'm doin my best to get in touch with our district office to advocate bringing this program to our "far away land" ha! In the meantime, I'm waiting for the dvd tutortial; it's the best I can start with for now :) Will be thrilled to hear about your continued volunteer work!

Blessings and hugs,
    Stace

Thanks Elm from all cancer
    Thanks Elm from all cancer survivors for doing this. It is so important to have survivors like you to help.

Hugs, Debby
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Ritzy said:

Thanks!
    Thanks Elm for being so generous with your time to volunteer! You will be great at it!

Sue :)

I bet you will really love
    I bet you will really love this helping others out. Very kind of you Elm!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member

You Are Going to Love It
    With each day that you volunteer you will see opportunities to interreact with the people participating in the Look Good Feel Better program. You get to see transformations and to see how happy they are with their new look. I know you will come up with a variety of compliments. It is wonderful to bring a smile to another human being, especially one who has cancer. Post once in a while to let us know what's happening.

To be in a beautiful surrounding makes you feel good. Since you say desert and mountains, this is not the Mayo Clinic in Minneapolis.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

You will be a fantastic
    You will be a fantastic volunteer! Thanks!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Elm I'm happy to hear you

Blessings and hugs,
    Stace

You have done yourself proud
    You have done yourself proud by doing this Elm, and, it is such a wonderful program. Thanks and good luck!

Hugs, Jan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

You have done yourself proud
    You have done yourself proud by doing this Elm, and, it is such a wonderful program. Thanks and good luck!

Hugs, Jan

ELM .. I am so proud of you .. and all that you have
    accomplished! Warrior - Sister in PINK! ACS - is such a wonderful organization -

Strength and Courage

Vicki
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    VickiSam said:

ELM .. I am so proud of you .. and all that you have
    accomplished! Warrior - Sister in PINK! ACS - is such a wonderful organization -

Strength and Courage

Vicki

This is so great, and, it
    This is so great, and, it really is a wonderful organization too!