Radiation cancellations getting old

Double Whammy
Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I started radation November 1. My protocol is a total of 21 treatments, 16 full breast, 5 boosters. Right after I started I realized that Thanksgiving is this month and is a holiday for the university hospital where I receive treatments (both Thursday and Friday). I asked the radiation oncologist about this and was assured it would be fine to miss those 2 days - they just get tagged on at the end like "snow days". Then came Veterans Day Nov. 11 another holiday for the university, so no radiation. I'd forgotten about that one and didn't really think much about it, afterall it was just one day. Then on November 10, I received a call that the machine was down, don't drive over here. That was another 2 days in a row with no treatment. And then this morning I received a call that the machine was down again, engineers called in, and don't come over. This makes a total of 5 days (so far) out of the 21 treatments that are being rescheduled.

I'm concerned (and annoyed) that I'm having too many "gaps" in my treatment protocol. It seems there must be a reason that they're inititally scheduled on a daily basis for 5 days with only weekends off. Any thoughts?

Suzanne

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    so sorry to hear
    I missed some only due to holidays....but I think just added on to the end. Have you checked with oncologist other then at treatment ctr? I had one in same building but different practice and then one in Radiation Ctr? Perhaps call and see what they think? I went 5 days and week for 8 wks...i would say I missed 2-3 over the whole time (holidays)
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Do not worry
    about it. Ask your radiation oncologist. The most important are first 2 weeks. It has happened to me too due to Christmas. I know my university and other clinics will work on Friday or Saturday for patients who is critical to continue.
    Good Luck
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I didn't miss any rads.
    I didn't miss any rads. There were a couple of days that came close to being canceled (afternoon appts were once) due to snow. The day that they did cancel the afternoon, I had to take some back roads to get home as I-90 had been closed. If I didn't 4X4's it would have been a problem but both my Bronco II and my 3/4t. 4X4 Dodge PU are great in snow so no problem.

This past summer, the gentleman that I gave rides to for his rads had 4 cancelations. One time was just for 1 day, once was for 2 days and once they called him before noon to come in that afternoon.

Susan