Sore feet...help

joannstar
joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a newbie to this site.
My dx was Stage 1B invasive ductal carcinoma, high grade, triple negative. After a stereotactic biopsy, I've had 2 lumpectomies (in order to get clean margins) the second was on 8/5/10. I've had 3 of 6 chemo treatments (T-C followed up by a nulasta shot). I will also have 33 radiation treatments after I finish chemo.
I've been having a variety of side effects--which have been manageable, but last Saturday the heels of my feet started to burn and have not stopped. This has made walking nearly impossible without pain.
Does any one know of anything to help this side effect? I was really hoping to start a walking program to try to lose some of the weight that I have gained (first through celebrating at my wedding on 2/14/10) and then through the stress of breast cancer dx, but I see that is unrealistic unless I can find a solution to burning feet.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi & welcome :)Wow it sounds
    Hi & welcome :)Wow it sounds like you have certainly had a busy year -congratulations on your Valentine's Day wedding!
    While on taxotere, i developed a red, burning rash on the palms of my hands & soles of my feet. My onc nurse said it was very common, called it "hand and foot syndrome". Mine was worse on my hands than feet, hands are all healed almost a month since I've finished with chemo, but my feet are still peeling & cracking, although they don't hurt anymore. Have your Dr or nurse look at it, and if that's what it is-they can give you steroids for it. They gave me a prednisone 'Dose pack' that reduced the symptoms & helped ease the pain, and I used Eucerin lotion on it also.
    Best of luck to you.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • joannstar

Hi & welcome :)Wow it sounds
    Hi & welcome :)Wow it sounds like you have certainly had a busy year -congratulations on your Valentine's Day wedding!
    While on taxotere, i developed a red, burning rash on the palms of my hands & soles of my feet. My onc nurse said it was very common, called it "hand and foot syndrome". Mine was worse on my hands than feet, hands are all healed almost a month since I've finished with chemo, but my feet are still peeling & cracking, although they don't hurt anymore. Have your Dr or nurse look at it, and if that's what it is-they can give you steroids for it. They gave me a prednisone 'Dose pack' that reduced the symptoms & helped ease the pain, and I used Eucerin lotion on it also.
    Best of luck to you.
    *hugs*
    Heather

Thanks for the suggestions
    Thanks for the suggestions and the welcome.

I was on the prednisone Dose pack last cycle for a rash I developed on my chest, arms, and back of knees which itched terribly. The steroids did the trick.

I did put a call in to my onc and am waiting for a call back.

Yes it has been a busy year...and I feel so badly that my new husband has to experience me as fat and bald within 8 months of our marriage--but he's a trooper and very supportive.

I'm glad to hear that the "hand and foot syndrome" is not permanent--but I won't be finished with chemo until mid-January!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    joannstar said:

Thanks for the suggestions
    Thanks for the suggestions and the welcome.

I was on the prednisone Dose pack last cycle for a rash I developed on my chest, arms, and back of knees which itched terribly. The steroids did the trick.

I did put a call in to my onc and am waiting for a call back.

Yes it has been a busy year...and I feel so badly that my new husband has to experience me as fat and bald within 8 months of our marriage--but he's a trooper and very supportive.

I'm glad to hear that the "hand and foot syndrome" is not permanent--but I won't be finished with chemo until mid-January!

Your husband vowed to love
    Your husband vowed to love you in sickness & in health - this was something my husband of 10 years said to me when I asked if it was too much for him to take care of me. Bald is beautiful!
    I had to take the dose packs after both of my Taxotere infusions. I think the quicker after symptoms appear that you start taking them, the better they work.
    *hugs*
    Heather
    ps - mid January will be here before you know it!!!
  • joannstar

Your husband vowed to love
    Your husband vowed to love you in sickness & in health - this was something my husband of 10 years said to me when I asked if it was too much for him to take care of me. Bald is beautiful!
    I had to take the dose packs after both of my Taxotere infusions. I think the quicker after symptoms appear that you start taking them, the better they work.
    *hugs*
    Heather
    ps - mid January will be here before you know it!!!

Thank you!
    Yes, I know it was for better or worse, in sickness and in health...I just didn't think those options would become so important so soon!!
    Good luck on your upcoming surgery. And remember to take it easy--the dirt can wait, do only what is important. Maybe your husband will take a hint and if he complains, you can suggest he do it if it bothers him so much!(I've been reading your rant on another thread).

<<<hugs>>>
    JoAnn
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    not me
    but I do recall good friend saying palms and feet like leather...very tough...NOT sure if painful...

good luck i hope it all works out for you..
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003

not me
    but I do recall good friend saying palms and feet like leather...very tough...NOT sure if painful...

good luck i hope it all works out for you..

My feet were very dry, i
    My feet were very dry, i used a creme called "Udder cream" that i got a Walmart. I found this creme listed on another site and my nurse agreed that this is a very good cream
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    meena1 said:

My feet were very dry, i
    My feet were very dry, i used a creme called "Udder cream" that i got a Walmart. I found this creme listed on another site and my nurse agreed that this is a very good cream

the bottom of my feet .. bleed. very dry and sensitive
    .. Udder cream, vasoline used .. I slather both on my feet, then put on a fresh pair of 100% cottom socks - always. When I went in for my infusions, or doctors appointments - I always wore - flip flops - no closed toe shoes or any sort.

Flip Flops acceptable foot attire - even during the winter months (LOL), out here in California.

Stength and Courage:

Vicki Sam
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    VickiSam said:

the bottom of my feet .. bleed. very dry and sensitive
    .. Udder cream, vasoline used .. I slather both on my feet, then put on a fresh pair of 100% cottom socks - always. When I went in for my infusions, or doctors appointments - I always wore - flip flops - no closed toe shoes or any sort.

Flip Flops acceptable foot attire - even during the winter months (LOL), out here in California.

Stength and Courage:

Vicki Sam

My feet and hands....
    Itched so bad!
    I told my onc and he prescribed some kind of med that took it away(Atarax), in about a day!
    And I also used lotion (alot)Aquaphor!
    Congradulations too you and your husband.
    I also am tripple neg and had the same kind of cancer, accept I also had insitu, good luck with all your treatment and you came to the right place for support'
    Take care sister...Karie
  • joannstar
    weazer said:

My feet and hands....
    Itched so bad!
    I told my onc and he prescribed some kind of med that took it away(Atarax), in about a day!
    And I also used lotion (alot)Aquaphor!
    Congradulations too you and your husband.
    I also am tripple neg and had the same kind of cancer, accept I also had insitu, good luck with all your treatment and you came to the right place for support'
    Take care sister...Karie

Many thanks
    Thank you all for your suggestions.

At the moment, when at work, I sit with my feet on 2 ice packs. This seems to help. I also have been applying Eucerin or something like it since I started Chemo hoping to avoid the problem...sigh...

I'll talk to my onc about this on 11/24 when I go in for the 4th Chemo treatment (of 6).

JoAnn