Cost of drugs

Chefrox
Chefrox Member Posts: 32
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
How are all of you handling the cost of these cancer drugs? I rememer the cost whenmy son
was sick and I took a second mortgage to help with things. My insulin co-pay alone is $30. each time I get it filled.
I never dreamed there would e so many couragious and wonderful women here to offer prayers and help.
Thank you everyone.

Chef Rox

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    I am lucky, as, my husband
    I am lucky, as, my husband has prescription/drug insurance through his work, so, the cost is greatly reduced for us. I know they are high normally, and, I wish there was something that could be done about it.

Yes, the sisters in pink here are amazing!

Hugs, Kylez
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Mornin Chef Whats Cookin!! (Sorry I had to do that)
    I unfortunately don't have insurance right now. But I am able to get my Rx's for free at the cancer center were I go. I do know that the Dr can call the drug companies and some times get the drugs donated for you. Or you can do what I did and see if your cancer center has a program for low income. I qualified because they put me on disability because of cancer. Some cancers are deemed disabling. You have a 5 month waiting period which don't help but then you get a check every month to help with the bills. You can check out
    Social security web site and see if you qualify.
    Are you feeling better? A Little less scared?? I sure hope so. {{{HUGS}}} Take care Kay
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Chef-
    I dont have

Hi Chef-
    I dont have insurance either, although I'm on Medicaid its a special tier for breast & cervical cancer patients -basically my coverage ends when my treatment ends. I've had prescription coverage throughout but I'll be on Tamoxifen for 5 years, and that's almost $60 a month, over 5 years, that's quite a bit....
    There is alot of prescription assistance available out there though. Do you have a cancer center in your area, or an ACS office? You could also call the Susan G Komen Foundation, these places could help point you in the right direction for local resources. http://www.cancerfac.org/ - i just posted a link for you, i hope it comes thru. If not, its www.cancerfac.org. I literally sat one afternoon in the beginning of my cancer journey and just googled breast cancer assistance. There's TONS of support and resources available for us out there. Some I qualified for, some I didn't. And I wanted to say that I'm so so sorry about your losing your son. I did not comment on that in my previous post to you and I just cannot imagine the pain that you have gone through, then to have your own diagnosis - your strength is showing already.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    check out this website.
    check out this website. Seems to have lots of info but I haven't tried it and don't know anyone who has. This info was provided by my health insurance website.

http://www.needymeds.com/
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

Mornin Chef Whats Cookin!! (Sorry I had to do that)
    I unfortunately don't have insurance right now. But I am able to get my Rx's for free at the cancer center were I go. I do know that the Dr can call the drug companies and some times get the drugs donated for you. Or you can do what I did and see if your cancer center has a program for low income. I qualified because they put me on disability because of cancer. Some cancers are deemed disabling. You have a 5 month waiting period which don't help but then you get a check every month to help with the bills. You can check out
    Social security web site and see if you qualify.
    Are you feeling better? A Little less scared?? I sure hope so. {{{HUGS}}} Take care Kay

so happy
    you can get your meds..sorry you don't have coverage..though
  • Punkindo
    Punkindo Member Posts: 113

Hi Chef-
    I dont have

Hi Chef-
    I dont have insurance either, although I'm on Medicaid its a special tier for breast & cervical cancer patients -basically my coverage ends when my treatment ends. I've had prescription coverage throughout but I'll be on Tamoxifen for 5 years, and that's almost $60 a month, over 5 years, that's quite a bit....
    There is alot of prescription assistance available out there though. Do you have a cancer center in your area, or an ACS office? You could also call the Susan G Komen Foundation, these places could help point you in the right direction for local resources. http://www.cancerfac.org/ - i just posted a link for you, i hope it comes thru. If not, its www.cancerfac.org. I literally sat one afternoon in the beginning of my cancer journey and just googled breast cancer assistance. There's TONS of support and resources available for us out there. Some I qualified for, some I didn't. And I wanted to say that I'm so so sorry about your losing your son. I did not comment on that in my previous post to you and I just cannot imagine the pain that you have gone through, then to have your own diagnosis - your strength is showing already.
    *hugs*
    Heather

Cost of Tamoxifen
    I just wanted to say that my Tamoxifen is only $9 per month. I get it filled at a grocery store pharmacy chain. It is on their generic list. I don't know if there is one where you live, but it is worth checking into. That is without even putting it on my insurance card.

My radiation treatments with my insurance were $30 each. $30 X 32 = $960. I honestly don't remember how much my chemo's were. I started them after my lumpectomy (X2 because margins weren't clear). It seemed like every week I was getting some sort of statement from the ins co, but I was so stressed and exhausted, that I quit looking at them.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    My husband's employer
    My husband's employer contracts with Blue Cross Blue Shield for insurance. We paid a copay, but BCBS covered the great majority of the cost. My Sister did not have insurance when she was a survivor. She used COBRA and she participated in some studies. The studies enabled her to feel like she was contributing to future survivors (little did she know she would be helping her own sister 4 years after she died)in addition to paying for the treatments she was given.

Not sure what other options there may be. seof
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Punkindo said:

Cost of Tamoxifen
    I just wanted to say that my Tamoxifen is only $9 per month. I get it filled at a grocery store pharmacy chain. It is on their generic list. I don't know if there is one where you live, but it is worth checking into. That is without even putting it on my insurance card.

My radiation treatments with my insurance were $30 each. $30 X 32 = $960. I honestly don't remember how much my chemo's were. I started them after my lumpectomy (X2 because margins weren't clear). It seemed like every week I was getting some sort of statement from the ins co, but I was so stressed and exhausted, that I quit looking at them.

wow what store is that
    wow what store is that pharmacy at? i will have to look into that for sure!!
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Ask Doc
    Hi Chef Rox!

Have you asked you doctor about help? I know my onco gave me samples of the various AI drugs to try and I had just ordered a three month supply thru my mail order when she decided to let me try tamoxifen as I had a lot of problems with the AI type drugs. I asked her what I could do with them and she said if I didn't mind, I could give them to her and she could give them to someone without insurance. I was so happy to do that as I felt lucky to have insurance to help with the cost.

Hope you can find some way to get help with the cost. Good luck and hugs to you. Sally
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Hi Chef-
    I dont have

Hi Chef-
    *hugs*
    Heather

Calling the American Cancer
    Calling the American Cancer Society would be a great start. I am sure if they can't help that they can lead you in the right direction.

Good luck,

Diane
  • Punkindo
    Punkindo Member Posts: 113

wow what store is that
    wow what store is that pharmacy at? i will have to look into that for sure!!

It is mostly in the south
    It is mostly in the south east, but it is called Bi-Lo.