Drains &*%$#

smalldoggroomer
smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am suppose to get my drain out next Tues. The Dr said it has to be 30 cc's or less for two consecutive days to take it out. I only have one more day to hit that mark. I don't think I'm going to make it! I am still around 200 per day!! This means I will have to keep this damn thing for another week.. &%$#@!
Has anyone came this close at this amount and still made it?
I also have to travel allot father to see the surgeon which don't make it easier.
I am so ready for this to be over.
Sorry just had to vent a little Kay.

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Don't jump out of the pan into the fire!
    Don't be in too much of a hurry to get it out - out too soon can cause more problems than the inconvience of it being in. My first drain was taken out at 2 weeks post surgery (no problems with it coming out) and the second was taken out at 4 weeks because I was still getting a bit more than desired output but Dr thought that it might be the drain that was aggravating/irritating the area - he was wrong. Large Seroma that had to be drained a few times. Almost 13 months post surgery and I still have the fairly large Seroma as evidenced on my PET on the Nov 3, 10.

Susan
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Kay,
    Don't apologize for venting (especially about those *%#$ drains). Remember, that's why we are here. Hopefully, they will come out soon. Hugs, Jean
  • ccincin
    ccincin Member Posts: 82
    Feel ya!
    I hated mine! I had to get below 10 a day though!!! 200 is a lot. I feel your pain but try not to push it! You don't want to have to be aspirated either!
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I haven't "been there, done
    I haven't "been there, done that" yet. But I can only imagine how troublesome if all that fluid wasn't draining....

I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

Hugs,

Linda
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

I haven't "been there, done that" yet. But I can only imagine how troublesome if all that fluid wasn't draining....

Hugs,

Linda

Vent away, Kay!
    I'm with you--that pesky drain was the worst part of the whole thing for me. Even though I only had a lumpectomy, I had 23 nodes removed, so the drain was really essential. I thought I'd never get rid of it--each time the drainage would slow down, the next day, back it was. My doc was like yours--he wanted 2-3 consecutive days of less than 30. I had that thing in for five weeks. I really am glad though that he didn't pull it too soon--the onc. nurse said she's had some women who have to come in almost daily to have the fluid aspirated.

So, as annoying as it is--it really is helping to get that fluid out and keep it from building up. Try to be patient (I know that's hard). There's really not much you can do to slow it down. Trust me, it will subside.

Take good, gentle care of yourself.

Hugs, Renee
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    missrenee said:

Vent away, Kay!
    I'm with you--that pesky drain was the worst part of the whole thing for me. Even though I only had a lumpectomy, I had 23 nodes removed, so the drain was really essential. I thought I'd never get rid of it--each time the drainage would slow down, the next day, back it was. My doc was like yours--he wanted 2-3 consecutive days of less than 30. I had that thing in for five weeks. I really am glad though that he didn't pull it too soon--the onc. nurse said she's had some women who have to come in almost daily to have the fluid aspirated.

So, as annoying as it is--it really is helping to get that fluid out and keep it from building up. Try to be patient (I know that's hard). There's really not much you can do to slow it down. Trust me, it will subside.

Take good, gentle care of yourself.

Hugs, Renee

Hate .. Hated my damn drains .. no need to apolize to any of
    us Warriors who have walked in your shoes, 'sporting' those NASTY drains! Oh and talk about making sure we 'milk' the tubes to avoid any clotting .. Yikes .. Trust me .. when I say .. better to have them in longer, than to have them re-inserted! You've been thru sooooooooo much, don't give in to those nasty drains ..!

Your drain issue .. will soon be a distant - memory ..of sorts. This is until your next shower or bath, and you those ugly little scars under your newly shapely ta'ta's.!

Strength and Courage.

Vicki Sam
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Kay -i know how
    Hi Kay -i know how irritating those drains are. If you're still draining alot of fluid it is best to keep it in. My mom pushed to get hers out after almost 3 weeks -they took it out after her 1st chemo, and she got an infection, her breast swelled up, got red & sore, and ended up having 2 rounds of antibiotics & having to postpone her 2nd chemo for a week!
    Hang in there!!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Hi Kay -i know how
    Hi Kay -i know how irritating those drains are. If you're still draining alot of fluid it is best to keep it in. My mom pushed to get hers out after almost 3 weeks -they took it out after her 1st chemo, and she got an infection, her breast swelled up, got red & sore, and ended up having 2 rounds of antibiotics & having to postpone her 2nd chemo for a week!
    Hang in there!!
    *hugs*
    Heather

After my first surgery the
    After my first surgery the drain was in for 3 weeks, it came out too soon even at that and I had to be drained and wrapped. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but at 200 cc per day, you will not get that puppy out this week. Try to avoid twisting motions and decrease activity withthe arm on that side. It was the thing I hated the most too. drove me nuts, now i can barely remember it. Chemo brain is good for something LOL. WE FEEL YOUR PAIN!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Kay,
    Don't apologize for venting (especially about those *%#$ drains). Remember, that's why we are here. Hopefully, they will come out soon. Hugs, Jean

So sorry... Hope the drains
    So sorry... Hope the drains can come out next week. Hang in there.
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Thanks everyone.. I know I
    Thanks everyone.. I know I must keep it at 200 per day. But I will hate it all I want LOL..
    Maybe in another week. We certainly find out how strong we are don't we.. Thanks again Love to all Kay
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

Hugs,

Linda

Praying your drains come out
    Praying your drains come out soon!