From hester Hill's blog

carkris
carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
this an article on tamoxifen and AI's its a liitle involved but gives useful information

http://tinyurl.com/28z75x5

Comments

• Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Thanks for posting this,
    Thanks for posting this, carkris.
  • bluwillo
    bluwillo Member Posts: 113
    Thanks!
    The link is to a study between Arimadex (and its equivalents) and Tamoxofin.<chemo brain leftover bad spelling).

It's from a professional journal, so it's a bit of a slog to read thru, but it helped me a lot. I've been having a lot of hip pain, but thanks to this site, was able to convince myself that it was due to switching from Tamo to Arimidex. So, I put up with having to wake up almost every hour during the night,for a month, sometimes to hear myself saying "Ow ow OW" because the hip I was sleeping on hurt so much. After reading here, I got that it might be the meds, so THEN I called my onc doc ( i like to have a solution for the problem before I call wolf) and he agreed. He told me to go back to the Tamox...which bummed me out. I thought Arimi had better rates and was better overall. He said it's not worth the 2% if I can't get a solid night's sleep (and he's so right!) So now I'm relieved.

Basically, the article talks about bone health, cardiovascular effects, women's plumbing issues and cholesterol. It's a comparison, written for the non-onc doc. I found it very helpful.

I also found that I will never own a Kindle. Reading that much info on the computer was irritating. I would have printed it out to read it, but it was 4:30 am (hey, I told you my hips hurt!) and I didn't want the printer to wake up DH.

Thanks for posting the link!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    bluwillo said:

Thanks!
    The link is to a study between Arimadex (and its equivalents) and Tamoxofin.

HesterS blog gives useful
    HesterS blog gives useful reliable information. I HIGHLY recommend it. I also know her personally, (she was/is my onc social worker) and I trust her. Which is high praise from me. Glad it helped you and thank you for saying so. made my day. Hope you sleep better, and the pain goes away or is at least tolerable. I have found that with this everything cant be perfect, but it has to be good enough.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Very good paper
    Penny,
    Thank you for info. It is a very good paper. I wish I could have this information several months ago. I did my own research on side effects and difference between Tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitors and this article is another confirmation of my own experience. Unfortunately, Arimidex is giving a lot of side effects I have to manage during my treatment.
    New Flower