radiation-no side effects

disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone else not really been effected by radiation? I had 8 wks post surgery, I never burned, never tired, no fatigue-I am totally greatful of course (I even packed friends house of 30+ yrs of STUFF alone after work each night) Until reading some postings here I did not know how bad burning , fatigue etc could be.

Just curious & makes me even more greatful!

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    For me - the 25 rads were a
    For me - the 25 rads were a piece of cake until AFTER the last one. The 12 weekly Taxol had beat me up bad (EXHAUSTION!) I started rads the week after last Taxol and felt better every day. I did 'tan' but no burning. By the time I did the 25th was a bit pink like a very mild sunburn but nothing bad at all - the next morning though changed all that. The entire area was burned, blistered and oozing. It definately 'cooked' for some time - the entire radiated area was burned (even up the side of my neck that I didn't realize was being radiated) -thankfully the deepest of the burns were in areas that has no nerves left so the worst of the pain I didn't feel but what I did was bad enough requiring Vicodan and Oxycodan. It took 6 weeks for the last of the scabs to come off - have lots of 'good' scars.

Dr still has no idea why I burned the way I did - the machine was shut down til it could be checked but no malfunctions with it. Just one of those things that happen.

Susan
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Rague said:

For me - the 25 rads were a
    For me - the 25 rads were a piece of cake until AFTER the last one. The 12 weekly Taxol had beat me up bad (EXHAUSTION!) I started rads the week after last Taxol and felt better every day. I did 'tan' but no burning. By the time I did the 25th was a bit pink like a very mild sunburn but nothing bad at all - the next morning though changed all that. The entire area was burned, blistered and oozing. It definately 'cooked' for some time - the entire radiated area was burned (even up the side of my neck that I didn't realize was being radiated) -thankfully the deepest of the burns were in areas that has no nerves left so the worst of the pain I didn't feel but what I did was bad enough requiring Vicodan and Oxycodan. It took 6 weeks for the last of the scabs to come off - have lots of 'good' scars.

Dr still has no idea why I burned the way I did - the machine was shut down til it could be checked but no malfunctions with it. Just one of those things that happen.

Susan

so sorry...
    wow...it seems like it changed over night for you...I even have fair skin and just block shaped tan spot-

up the side of your neck...yikes...

sorry to hear...I hope feeling better now...

I feel very very lucky after reading posts here. I thought I was just the normal -but now I know I should be very greatful...mine was piece of cake!

good luck once again