oxaliplatin rare side effect frustration

2»

Comments

• elaineG
    elaineG Member Posts: 20
    lisa42 said:

praying for you right now
    Hi Elaine,

I just read your post and am writing this at 11:20 a.m. PST (Calif.)- not sure where you live. In the event we're on the same time zone or close to it & you're getting the chemo as I write this, I am praying things will go much, much better this time.
    I am curious why you don't have a port- my onc said he would never give oxy to someone via the arm because it's too caustic and could do damage to the veins. The veins used in the chest where they put the port are larger and can handle it better. Was it your choice to not have a port put in or did your doctor not think you should have one?
    Just saying- I don't know of anyone with a port who had issues of the areas in the chest where it was going in, vs. you are having problems with getting it in the arm.
    Anyhow- regardless, I am praying all will go well for you.
    It's no fun, for sure. I took it when I was first dx'd in 8/07- I had an allergic reaction to it and, like Kathryn mentioned, got the decadron and benadryl treatment beforehand, then infusion was stretched out over 6 hours.

Hugs and prayers going your way-
    Lisa

oxy side effects
    Hi Lisa
    Thanks for replying. With regard to the siting of my drip, my chest has never been mentioned as an option by my oncologist. The guidance notes I was given prior to my chemo seemed to point to the arm as being the norm, and a painful arm is mentioned as a side effect, which I indeed got the first time, then had my drip slowed to 4 hours because of this, which helped. As I'm new to all this, it's interesting to hear of different methods/treatments out there. As I live in the UK, I don't know if there are differences in how things are done??
    Anyway, all the very best to you Lisa. I really hope you are successful in your quest to find a trial that you can take part in.
    Take care
    Elaine
  • chicoturner
    chicoturner Member Posts: 282
    Hi Elaine, sorry you are
    Hi Elaine, sorry you are having such a time with the one drug that has such potential to take care of the cancer. I was given oxy and had a very unusual experience. I had severe chest pains and pains down my left arm. It would begin about40-48 hours after the infussion and intermitently for about 8-12 hours. Each episode would be about 20 mins in length and then I would sleep until it started again. I did end up in the hospital and had my heart checked and rechecked, but it was determined it was the oxy. My doc said he had never seen that before. I kept up treament for all 12 as the scans showed incredible decrease in the lung tumors and spots! When I finished the last treatment all but a speck was gone!! Unfortunately, it didn't stay gone for me, but the drug did its job. Best to you! Jean
  • elaineG

Hi Elaine, sorry you are
    Hi Elaine, sorry you are having such a time with the one drug that has such potential to take care of the cancer. I was given oxy and had a very unusual experience. I had severe chest pains and pains down my left arm. It would begin about40-48 hours after the infussion and intermitently for about 8-12 hours. Each episode would be about 20 mins in length and then I would sleep until it started again. I did end up in the hospital and had my heart checked and rechecked, but it was determined it was the oxy. My doc said he had never seen that before. I kept up treament for all 12 as the scans showed incredible decrease in the lung tumors and spots! When I finished the last treatment all but a speck was gone!! Unfortunately, it didn't stay gone for me, but the drug did its job. Best to you! Jean

Thanks Jean
    Hi Jean
    Side effects like these certainly show how powerful chemo is, don't they?! I just keep telling myself if they're doing that to other parts of my body they must be zapping my cancer cells! Unfortunately, my white blood count is still low, so I don't even know if my chemo next week will go ahead - I can't wait to get back on track, whatever side effects it throws at me!! I worry about this break in treatment.

Thank you again, and I wish you all the very best!
    Take care
    Elaine
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    elaineG said:

Thanks Jean
    Hi Jean
    Side effects like these certainly show how powerful chemo is, don't they?! I just keep telling myself if they're doing that to other parts of my body they must be zapping my cancer cells! Unfortunately, my white blood count is still low, so I don't even know if my chemo next week will go ahead - I can't wait to get back on track, whatever side effects it throws at me!! I worry about this break in treatment.

Thank you again, and I wish you all the very best!
    Take care
    Elaine

Hi Elaine
    Good to see you posting again. Sorry about those white blood cells being low. Hope you get back on track soon.
  • elaineG
    Lori-S said:

Hi Elaine
    Good to see you posting again. Sorry about those white blood cells being low. Hope you get back on track soon.

Hi Lori
    Thanks! I'm keeping everything crossed for Monday!

This is such a brilliant site - so much positive thinking and such a wealth of experience too! Add to that a fair bit of humour (by the way, I haven't lost my whistle yet ;), glad you got yours back),and the mix is just right!

Elaine
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    elaineG said:

Hi Lori
    Thanks! I'm keeping everything crossed for Monday!

This is such a brilliant site - so much positive thinking and such a wealth of experience too! Add to that a fair bit of humour (by the way, I haven't lost my whistle yet ;), glad you got yours back),and the mix is just right!

Elaine

Elaine,
    I'm with Lisa on the

Elaine,
    I'm with Lisa on the port. Please ask your Onc about it. For me, personally, it was so much easier and as Lisa said, they usual don't care to give Oxil in the arm. The port goes into the upper chest just below the skin (easy procedure, for me anyway). The Needle is put into that (sound worse than it is).

Best of luck with your treatments and keep moving forward.

Claudia
    Stage 3
    NED (no evidence of disease) for 3 1/2 years!